Too stupid to make a left turn?

5,695 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by maroon barchetta
veritas47
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does the infestation of raised medians mean our overseers think we're too stupid to make a left turn? It's amazing that we've survived as a species so long without having raised medians.

Or is there some construction company with REALLY good connections at CoCS or TXDOT?
turfman80
AG
Hey, what's the problem? Just go down another two miles and make a u-turn.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
A Net Full of Jello
AG
I don't know. There are a number of shopping centers that have exits near lights that would make it easy for drivers to turn left. Instead, I have seen a number of people use a different exit, pull out and block various lanes of traffic just so they could then eventually turn left. I've also seen a number of people who have decided to turn left into these shopping centers or side streets when not at a light and again, block one lane at a time until they can finally get all the way across.

I'd say there are a number of people who don't know how to make a left turn.
wareagle044
I can see how it impacts traffic flow positively, but it doesn't really address traffic density I wouldn't think which is really what this towns problem is in my non-professional, purely personal opinion.

cj774
AG
Back to the original question, the answer is "Yes".

How quickly y'all forget you live in a city full of late age teenagers and early 20 somethings driving large trucks. . As my wife likes to often say to me "men don't fully develop their prefrontal cortex until around 25". Plus my own theory that kids from various metro areas and smaller towns coming together cause some issues as they know how to drive in their own hometown areas but are lost when mixed together.
75AG
AG
Wanna see which businesses have "influence", look at which businesses have left-turns through the medians and into their businesses.
kraut
AG
cj774 said:

Back to the original question, the answer is "Yes".

How quickly y'all forget you live in a city full of late age teenagers and early 20 somethings driving large trucks. . As my wife says often to me "men don't fully developed their prefrontal cortex until around 25". Plus my own theory that kids from various metro areas and smaller towns coming together cause some issues as they know how to drive in their own hometown areas but are lost when mixed together.
Add in the mix a large number of foreign students who learn to drive here - perfect storm.
cj774
AG
Excellent point as well!
tb9665
This is very true about left turns.
FlyRod
Quote:

Hey, what's the problem? Just go down another two miles and make a u-turn.

Already visualizing this as cars going south on Texas make U turns at University and...God help us all.
Rex Racer
AG
A Net Full of Jello said:

I don't know. There are a number of shopping centers that have exits near lights that would make it easy for drivers to turn left. Instead, I have seen a number of people use a different exit, pull out and block various lanes of traffic just so they could then eventually turn left. I've also seen a number of people who have decided to turn left into these shopping centers or side streets when not at a light and again, block one lane at a time until they can finally get all the way across.

They know how. They are just selfish. They don't want to wait in line at the light, so they don't go to the light. And they don't want to wait until traffic is clear, so they worm their way across, blocking traffic as they go.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
cypress-ag
AG
On another note, my old man yelling at cloud moment - I thought only idiots in Houston did it until I got to CS and lived here for 6 months, the folks that leave 3 car lengths between themselves and the car in front of them. Have 4 drivers do that and it makes it damn near impossible to make lights or better yet, block you from getting into the left turn lane or right turn lane because of this. Every damn time it's someone looking at their phones texting.

Oh, and these medians suck, making U turns onto Texas makes me keep my will updated!
doubledog
veritas47 said:

Does the infestation of raised medians mean our overseers think we're too stupid to make a left turn? It's amazing that we've survived as a species so long without having raised medians.

Or is there some construction company with REALLY good connections at CoCS or TXDOT?
Every fall CoCS absorbs 70K of the worst drivers in the state. So the answer is Yes.
AgTrip

So going south on Texas, how do you get into Spec's or Napa Flats? You turn left at Harvey and then what? Take a left at George Bush Drive E and circle all the way around to Dominik and pull in at Shiraz?
75AG
AG
AgTrip said:

So going south on Texas, how do you get into Spec's or Napa Flats? You turn left at Harvey and then what? Take a left at George Bush Drive E and circle all the way around to Dominik and pull in at Shiraz?
turn onto Harvey. Go down to The Tap. Turn into their parking lot - be sure to not hit any students - uturn back onto Harvey. Voila, you're back to almost where you started! 3 minutes without traffic (don't know when that would be), 10 minutes in real time.
maroon barchetta
You turn left on Bush East and never end up having to get onto Harvey.

Go in off of Dominik near Shiraz
AgTrip
maroon barchetta said:

So snake through the neighborhood...got it.
maroon barchetta
I avoid Harvey like it is shut down.
BiochemAg97
AG
wareagle044 said:

I can see how it impacts traffic flow positively, but it doesn't really address traffic density I wouldn't think which is really what this towns problem is in my non-professional, purely personal opinion.

Flow seems to be the only thing you could practically address.

Density being a function of population with cars and that really can't be addressed without prohibiting cars or limiting population.
Smeghead4761
75AG said:

AgTrip said:

turn onto Harvey. Go down to The Tap. Turn into their parking lot - be sure to not hit any students - uturn back onto Harvey. Voila, you're back to almost where you started! 3 minutes without traffic (don't know when that would be), 10 minutes in real time.
Lots easier to just turn left on Bush, then go down to Harvey and go right. Especially now, with the construction on Harvey.

And if you're going south on Texas, just go to Total Wino.
b0ridi
75AG said:

Wanna see which businesses have "influence", look at which businesses have left-turns through the medians and into their businesses.
Like the former Johnny Carino's!
A Net Full of Jello
AG
AgTrip said:

I'd take a right into Total Wine & More.
AgTrip
I understand total wine is there. My point is getting into that shopping center is screwed up thanks to all the stupid medians.
lawless89
Medians are racist.
veritas47
BiochemAg97 said:

Density being a function of population with cars and that really can't be addressed without prohibiting cars or limiting population.

So you're saying that Sharp's goal of 250,000 college students by 2027 is a problem?
BiochemAg97
AG
veritas47 said:

BiochemAg97 said:

So you're saying that Sharp's goal of 250,000 college students by 2027 is a problem?

Maybe not if we plan on putting half of them at RELLIS and building a new city out there to hold them.
Gigem314
AG
AgTrip said:

maroon barchetta said:

Well there's a light at Bush/Texas and Bush/Dominik so it's not like you're having to meander down neighborhood streets to cut through. It's actually pretty easy. Trying to take a left off Texas into that shopping center even before all the medians was never efficient because of the flow of traffic.
maroon barchetta
Yep
AgTrip
Gigem314 said:

AgTrip said:

maroon barchetta said:

Well there's a light at Bush/Texas and Bush/Dominik so it's not like you're having to meander down neighborhood streets to cut through. It's actually pretty easy. Trying to take a left off Texas into that shopping center even before all the medians was never efficient because of the flow of traffic.
Well currently if I'm going North on Texas, I can take a left to turn into Total wine and Jason's deli. Why does that shopping strip have left turn access but the larger shopping strip across the road doesn't?
phillytex24
doubledog said:

veritas47 said:

Every fall CoCS absorbs 70K of the worst drivers in the state. So the answer is Yes.

It's time to raise the driving age to 22 without a work permit.
hijakeroo123
AG
All I am going to say is that UPS maps out their drivers' routes to avoid left turns for a reason. The solution is simple, take a right and either turn around further down the street, or make the block. The left turns which drivers were pulling prior to the medians often created conflicting traffic movements which led to accidents, so I am a fan of the medians. If people would take 10 seconds to plan out their routes, this wouldn't be a problem...
wareagle044
BiochemAg97 said:

wareagle044 said:

Flow seems to be the only thing you could practically address.

Im sure it's extremely cost prohibitive to implement but would love to see areas of B/CS developed as golf cart friendly like Peachtree City GA
Smeghead4761
Gigem314 said:

Making a left without a signal anywhere on Texas between University and 2818 is a giant PITA and something I do my best to avoid
woodiewood1
veritas47 said:

I talked to a city manager of one of our nearby small cities and he told me that all the cities, including his. are putting in medians and curbs from the Infrastructure money that was available by the billions of dollars.

I thought the justification of passing all the Infrastructure funds was to address the aging and condition of our roads and bridges that supposedly was in great need for repairs. I didn't realize it was also for new construction that isn't really needed.

I haven't made an opinion on the medians but it sure is going to cause a lot of small businesses grief and also create a lot more U=turning at intersections. Drivers turning right on red need to keep in mind that the vehicle making a U-turn has the ROW.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.