Too stupid to make a left turn?

5,789 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by maroon barchetta
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
woodiewood1 said:

veritas47 said:

Does the infestation of raised medians mean our overseers think we're too stupid to make a left turn? It's amazing that we've survived as a species so long without having raised medians.

Or is there some construction company with REALLY good connections at CoCS or TXDOT?
I talked to a city manager of one of our nearby small cities and he told me that all the cities, including his. are putting in medians and curbs from the Infrastructure money that was available by the billions of dollars.

I thought the justification of passing all the Infrastructure funds was to address the aging and condition of our roads and bridges that supposedly was in great need for repairs. I didn't realize it was also for new construction that isn't really needed.

I haven't made an opinion on the medians but it sure is going to cause a lot of small businesses grief and also create a lot more U=turning at intersections. Drivers turning right on red need to keep in mind that the vehicle making a U-turn has the ROW.

People are already terrible at turning right on red because they don't remember that they need to STOP and look before turning right.

When they closed the left turn from Wellborn southbound to Deacon, the very first day there was a u-turn wreck with a right-turn-on-red driver up at Wellborn and Rock Prairie.
75AG
AG
What we need, in addition to a left turn light, is a U-TURN light. That way we all know who's going to u-turn since the city is forcing more and more.
BiochemAg97
AG
75AG said:

What we need, in addition to a left turn light, is a U-TURN light. That way we all know who's going to u-turn since the city is forcing more and more.

You really need a no right turn light for when the cross traffic is turning left/u-turn.
75AG
AG
I think a u-turn light with no right turn on u-turns sign/light.
threecatcorner
woodiewood1 said:

veritas47 said:

Does the infestation of raised medians mean our overseers think we're too stupid to make a left turn? It's amazing that we've survived as a species so long without having raised medians.

Or is there some construction company with REALLY good connections at CoCS or TXDOT?
I talked to a city manager of one of our nearby small cities and he told me that all the cities, including his. are putting in medians and curbs from the Infrastructure money that was available by the billions of dollars.

I thought the justification of passing all the Infrastructure funds was to address the aging and condition of our roads and bridges that supposedly was in great need for repairs. I didn't realize it was also for new construction that isn't really needed.

I haven't made an opinion on the medians but it sure is going to cause a lot of small businesses grief and also create a lot more U=turning at intersections. Drivers turning right on red need to keep in mind that the vehicle making a U-turn has the ROW.

If that info is correct, that pisses me off even more than TXDOT adding all these stupid medians in the first place.

They ought to use infrastructure money for stuff that's needed (fix worn out bridges, do something about potholes, etc.); don't just do something expensive because money's burning a hole in your pocket. Use it for something actually helpful, not something that is supposed to be for safety but is actually dangerous (making lots of u-turns because people cant turn where they want and slowing down emergency services because fire trucks, ambulances, police won't be able to zip down the middle of the road when it's gridlocked and they need to get through)

*edited to fix typo
woodiewood1
BiochemAg97 said:

75AG said:

You really need a no right turn light for when the cross traffic is turning left/u-turn.
Either that or just have drivers making ROR turns make sure the U-turner is not present. It's just not that difficult if people would not be in such a hurry. The U-Turner has a green light and has the ROW.
woodiewood1
threecatcorner said:

woodiewood1 said:

veritas47 said:

If that info is correct, that pisses me off even more than TXDOT adding all these stupid medians in the first place.

They ought to use infrastructure money for stuff that's needed (fix worn out bridges, do something about potholes, etc.); don't just do something expensive because money's burning a hole in your pocket. Use it for something actually helpful, not something that is supposed to be for safety but is actually dangerous (making lots of u-turns because people cant turn where they want and slowing down emergency services because fire trucks, ambulances, police won't be able to zip down the middle of the road when it's gridlocked and they need to get through)

*edited to fix typo
I haven't thought of, "slowing down emergency services because fire trucks, ambulances, police won't be able to zip down the middle of the road when it's gridlocked and they need to get through."

That is going to be an issue at times.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
maroon barchetta said:

You turn left on Bush East and never end up having to get onto Harvey.

Go in off of Dominik near Shiraz

This is so obviously the answer.

Driving down Harvey... what did you move here last week or something?
Roxie146
Well - and now we have midrises planned for Cooner street -

I hope you guys in College Station enjoy that traffic.

OnlyForNow
AG
It's a TXDOT thing.
wareagle044

Bring me golf cart paths through BCS please city councils
Hornbeck
They will just drive over it.
taxpreparer
AG
So what is the rule when the u-turn vehicle is too long to make the u-turn and has to turn it into a 3-point turn? i have seen that three times in the last week.
Roxie146
So going north on Texas from University in front of the old Eccel. Why is there a turn lane turning left in to nothing.

Is there or is there not going to be a street in to Hensel Park.

All this is supposed to be in the planning stage - this doesn't look like a plan. It looks like execution of a known development.

Has the TAMUS finalized development plans such that Rosemay is going to cross Texas at this point??

Who is gaslighting whom.

techno-ag
AG
Roxie146 said:

So going north on Texas from University in front of the old Eccel. Why is there a turn lane turning left in to nothing.

Is there or is there not going to be a street in to Hensel Park.

All this is supposed to be in the planning stage - this doesn't look like a plan. It looks like execution of a known development.

Has the TAMUS finalized development plans such that Rosemay is going to cross Texas at this point??

Who is gaslighting whom.

Hasn't that turn lane always been there though? Texas Ave. has a turn lane and that's a T intersection.
Roxie146
Maybe it was a middle turn lane - but now it has a left hand arrow indication a left hand turn into Hensel Park where there is no entrance. If you were to turn left you would hit an electrical distribution pole - it is just weird

You can't use it - it is all flagged off.
mason12
AG
It could just be a spot for a U-turn, if you pull out from one of those businesses prior to the light.
Chrundle the Great
AG
It is, it's a u-turn spot. The u-turn loon will be built during the shared use path project.
wareagle044
Chrundle the Great said:

It is, it's a u-turn spot. The u-turn loon will be built during the shared use path project.

So long as A&M is the hub where all main arteries of shared use path intersect - could be a great project with those u-turn lights
agnerd
AG
Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, raised medians are also there to prevent people from using left-turn-only medians as merge lanes. It's illegal to turn into the median and then wait for a spot to open you so you can merge into traffic, but a lot of people do it instead of waiting for both sides of traffic to open up for a spot to turn left. So since idiots do illegal things, the rest of us have to endure the consequences.
75AG
AG
You've clearly never turned left off Barron Rd onto Wellborn Rd. Either get in that suicide lane, or wait for 10 minutes, or just say eff it, and die.
maroon barchetta
75AG said:

You've clearly never turned left off Barron Rd onto Wellborn Rd. Either get in that suicide lane, or wait for 10 minutes, or just say eff it, and die.

Smart people never have to make a left turn from Barron onto Wellborn.
75AG
AG
Then y'all are missing some of the best excitement life has to offer.
maroon barchetta
I only take Barron to Wellborn for right or left turns when it's early in the morning or late at night.

Barron Cut-off for the win.

Or take 40 to Victoria and cut thru that way. Too many wrecks at Barron/Capstone/Wellborn area. Don't have time for that.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.