Easterwood off-field emergency landing drama

15,763 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by aggiepaintrain
Moy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
On 12/27/22, a Piper PA32RT with tail number N528CW, made an emergency, off-field landing just west of Easterwood Airport near Hwy 47. The pilot is claiming that the property owner won't release his plane unless he pays a $250,000 fee, due to the emotional damage incurred by his cows. Dan Gryder, a prominent YouTuber that reviews general aviation accidents, recently reviewed the event. Fast forward to 18:45 if you don't want to hear the mishap discussion.

They claim that the Mayor of Bryan owns the property. Brazos CAD shows the Bryan Business Council owns the property.

Surely public officials would not shake down a private citizen in distress? Say it ain't so!
Tibbers
It certainly seems that's what is happening from the story.
runnrboy
AG
Looks like KBTX did cover the incident when it happened. But who knows if they will follow up on it.
SAC4311
I guess Bryan City leadership is trying to collect money for all those College Station Ambulance fees!
Flatlander
runnrboy said:

Looks like KBTX did cover the incident when it happened. But who knows if they will follow up on it.
They will now that TexAgs has brought it to their attention.
cj774
AG
Flatlander said:

runnrboy said:

Ain't that the truth!

maroon barchetta
Flatlander said:

runnrboy said:

Five days from now.

Steve Fullhart would wrestle this story to the ground. I miss Steve.
Hornbeck
Does he get free plane tires for life for that quarter mil? Asking for a friend…
EBrazosAg
AG
Dan Gryder has been wrong before. He's all in for the clicks on aviation stuff. Not saying he's wrong. But I wouldn't go to him for the definitive word ever.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Koko Chingo
AG
Hornbeck said:

Does he get free plane tires for life for that quarter mil? Asking for a friend…
Only lifetime balance and rotation - non-transferable, original owner only
davido
AG
Where exactly is the property?
JP76
Looks like

Property ID: 11949
PS3D
Quote:

emotional damage incurred by his cows.

The cattle aren't the ones getting a settlement, and in a couple of years they'll probably be served up on a plate anyway.
Tibbers
EBrazosAg said:

Dan Gryder has been wrong before. He's all in for the clicks on aviation stuff. Not saying he's wrong. But I wouldn't go to him for the definitive word ever.
Well, it isn't his word. It's the pilot's. I would think he would know considering he's at the heart of the matter. We need info from the Mayor on this because this stinks.
mole
Here is the property on the morning of Dec 27th

https://imgur.com/AedvRg1.jpg

Next Clear Image is on 12/31, a white dot appears near the pond

https://imgur.com/CIzBv9D.jpg

1/5
https://imgur.com/OwODUzt.jpg

On 3/3 the dot is still there
https://imgur.com/4wmK7Rq.jpg

I assume that you could see it from Jones Road.
rockelle
So the Mayor has to answer to you for private business matters not related to the City?

I'm guessing there's another side to the story and I'm quite sure it will be different from the interviewers account of it. Probably insurance adjusters and all kinds of folks involved.
WheelinAg
AG
Bravo @Mole, account created in 2003 and under 10 posts!
Tailgate88
AG
Never a dull moment around these parts.
Firefighter7
As of yesterday, it was still there.
ChampsAg
We saw it today coming back from 1775. You can see it clearly according to my boys from Jones Road.
cslifer
So what is the "more to the story"?
EliteElectric
cslifer said:

I don't actually know (and wouldn't divulge if I did) and neither do any of the folks posting in this thread. There is ongoing litigation here, so, anyone that really knows can't say anything. That's how litigation works. I will say Bobby is a good man who I have known and called a friend for over 3 decades. I have served side by side with this man for decades in matters of charity and public service. The rampant speculation that there is something nefarious going on is unwarranted and unnecessary in my opinion. But I am biased. Bobby is a good friend of mine.
BCSWguru
cslifer said:

nobody cares
cslifer
Lawsuits filed are generally public, and I highly doubt a judge has issued a gag order for a lawsuit involving an airplane and some cows.
cslifer
It would appear that at least a few people do, and more might if that video is true. Who knows if it is, but definitely worth finding out.
rockelle
TexasAggie_02 said:

rockelle said:

So the Mayor has to answer to you for private business matters not related to the City?

The city owns the property. That makes it directly related to the city. Does the mayor own the cattle? If so, how did he get the grazing lease, and does he pay far market value for it? Sounds like he is using city property to extort money from the pilot.
The property is not owned by the city it is owned by BBC which is a non-profit and it's pasture land currently. Perhaps you should hold off on "extortion" claims when you don't know what damages there may be, or the rest of the story.
techno-ag
AG
Emotionally damaged cows? For a plane that landed without power (hence without noise) and did not hit any cow?

Reminds me of when PETA wanted to install a memorial for chickens when a Sanderson Farms truck overturned on 2818. Some people just turn plumb irrational about farm animals.
cslifer
The BBC is very much part of the city. It is set up as a non profit for some of its activities, but when they share a website and PO box number with the city and list their address as city hall it would pretty disingenuous to say they aren't part of Bryan city government.
TAMU1990
AG
This is stupid - let the owner get the plane off of the property
maroon barchetta
Why don't you recognize bovine mental health as a thing?
EliteElectric
cslifer said:

Lawsuits filed are generally public, and I highly doubt a judge has issued a gag order for a lawsuit involving an airplane and some cows.

While the filing of a suit may or may not be made public, the proceedings are almost always not public. Furthermore, litigants are often times counseled not to speak on any matters involving that litigation. Again, I will reserve my judgment until there is more info or a public judgment by a judge.
cslifer
This is getting a bit derailed, but court proceedings ARE public.
OnlyForNow
AG
Sharing a website and P.O. Box don't really legally count for much.

Who are the directors of BBC? If they are city of Bryan employees, then there is your tie into the two being one and the same.

If it's a public entity, which it may or may not be, the grazing rights for that parcel/ranch should be able to be FOIA'd.

So any of you folks who live in the area and are concerned about this, that's how to start your investigation.
Koko Chingo
AG
Do Mayors have to file financial disclosures? What kind of information is included in that kind of documentation.

Watercooler talk with vendors and businesses that deal him as well as my workplace have complained about being behind on bills and payments. Does that kind of thing show up?
Justacitizen
First off, I'm a Rookie, so do what you want with that. Second, I'm an old guy and I like facts, which is what made me jump on here. I've always been interested in how government works, which explains why I know this. It's a sad life, I know. While the Bryan Business Council is indeed a non-profit, it is very much tethered to the city it serves. It was established in 1982 under a different name and was/is clearly funded by the city of Bryan. It had a name change in 1994 to the current BBC. All the history is here: https://onboard.bryantx.gov/board/1725 The BBC seems to basically be a legal loophole for the city to do real estate deals without the encumbrances a city would normally deal with. Not saying that's good or bad. It is what it is. I don't know anything about the supposed litigation, but I wonder about the legality and ethics of a mayor running a for-profit cattle operation on land owned by the BBC, a body for which members are appointed and approved by the city council, which includes the mayor who owns the cattle in question. If you read the fine print in the documents linked above, it's all about developing properties to increase the taxable value of the city. That's not a slap at Mr. Mayor, just a question.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.