Bryan/College Station Emergency Response Services

10,373 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by FamousAgg
woodiewood1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It seems to me that the easiest solution is to account for the number of responses from each city into the other and have a fixed rate for each call that the city that made the most responses get paid monthly by the other.
BiochemAg97
AG
woodiewood1 said:

It seems to me that the easiest solution is to account for the number of responses from each city into the other and have a fixed rate for each call that the city that made the most responses get paid monthly by the other.

I think the biggest complaint is CoCS wants that fixed rate to be 100% billed rate. Plus the reimbursement for difference between insurance allowed rate and 100% billed rate.
MeKnowNot
The presentation that the CS fire chief made to council last night provided a very different side of this issue.
Stupe
S
woodiewood1 said:

That leaves out:

Man hours used
Fuel spent
Supplies used
BringingChange
That wasn't at all what the CSFD brought forward last night. Even with their $550 requested reimbursement rate from the CoB per call, CoCS taxpayers will still foot a significant bill for ambulances leaving CoCS.

I agree with the one lone councilman who voted no. I believe we do need to go to mutual aid exclusively as the CoB made it very clear throughout their entire presentation that they are willing AND able to provide all the services needed to their citizens. CoCS needs to call their bluff.
doubledog
BringingChange said:

That wasn't at all what the CSFD brought forward last night. Even with their $550 requested reimbursement rate from the CoB per call, CoCS taxpayers will still foot a significant bill for ambulances leaving CoCS.

I agree with the one lone councilman who voted no. I believe we do need to go to mutual aid exclusively as the CoB made it very clear throughout their entire presentation that they are willing AND able to provide all the services needed to their citizens. CoCS needs to call their bluff.
Given the high cost of health care,$550 seems reasonable for those patients outside the tax district.
Broncos
On this topic, entirely too many people utilize EMS and the ER for non-emergencies.
BringingChange
100% agree.

And if the tides turn, it appears that the CoCS is also willing to send that money right back to the CoB if they end up in CS more than CS does in Bryan!

I don't understand why CoB thinks that Station 6 is just theirs to use as they please without reimbursement.
FamousAgg
Broncos said:

On this topic, entirely too many people utilize EMS and the ER for non-emergencies.

Yes. That could save both cities millions. BFDs Community Paramedicine program is apparently already helping to alleviate these non-emergency calls. Literally stubbed toe type of calls to 911
Roxie146
As well as - I've fallen and I can't get up issues.

Not really funny - but if someone falls in one of the assisted living or nursing homes - skilled or rehab, EMS is called to come help get them up.

Same is true, I believe for those push safe monitors - EMS is sent out to those.
Rapier108
Broncos said:

Yep. All one has to do is listen to Broadcastify to hear how many calls for EMS are not necessary.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
woodiewood1
Stupe said:

woodiewood1 said:

That leaves out:

Man hours used
Fuel spent
Supplies used

Would a fixed rate not take in account an average cost of the three items you mentioned. All three would be variable depending on the situation, but an average could be determined.
Moy
Broncos said:

There is a segment of our society that uses EMS as their primary healthcare.
AggiePhil
AG
Moy said:

Broncos said:

Does sound awfully convenient.
Bryanisbest
AG
AggiePhil said:

Moy said:

Broncos said:

What a condescending statement. There is also a segment of our society that uses another city's residential front or back yards for sewage disposal. Cheaper to use condescending sewage relief, I guess. Bryan is just a lower segment.
SMR
Bryanisbest said:

AggiePhil said:

Moy said:

Broncos said:

What a condescending statement. There is also a segment of our society that uses another city's residential front or back yards for sewage disposal. Cheaper to use condescending sewage relief, I guess. Bryan is just a lower segment.

While there is certainly validity to the sewer line concerns, the current EMS issue has not been accurately represented. On August 23, 2022, Kean Register told CS officials "that they have had further discussions with Chief Guisti and they were at a point where automatic aid was no longer necessary. They were good to move toward a mutual aid agreement on the EMS side."

This was reported during the last council meeting and can be viewed on slide 23 here: https://blog.cstx.gov/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/7-Fire-EMS-ILA-Agreement.pdf

So unless I'm misunderstanding this, COB said "nah, we're good" CS called their bluff & now COB is trying to play the victim?

Sounds like someone F'd around and found out.

Also, it's my opinion that College Station is most definitely in the wrong on the sewer line issue. Lift-stations seem like a very easy answer to not cause unnecessary problems for an entire neighborhood. It seems that both cities are lacking community-focused leaders.
taxpreparer
AG
Why do the cities charge each other and not the persons who receive the service? Kind of like out if network insurance where you would pay more for the city you are not in providing the emergency service.
BCSWguru
taxpreparer said:

Why do the cities charge each other and not the persons who receive the service? Kind of like out if network insurance where you would pay more for the city you are not in providing the emergency service.

Why would the people pay for it? You can send them all the bills in the world and you won't get a dime for them. Gotta go where the money is.
taxpreparer
AG
Yes, no payment, no service seems unduly harsh for emergency services; however, they will only be a deadbeat once.
saturn135
Basically, the City of College Station had to do the leg work to show that the City of Bryan needs another ambulance/station to cover their jurisdiction appropriately. Sounds to me that the lack of future planning by Bryan's City Council and fire department past administration has gotten us to this point.

Station 6 placement was for the increased density along the University Drive corridor, as the fire department and council pre-planned this growth. It's hard to argue that the placement of Station 6 has caused the increase of CS ambulances going into Bryan when many times, the ambulances in CS are coming from the middle of town to respond to North Bryan or Kurten. Just my 2 cents
iisanaggie
AG
Roxie146 said:

As well as - I've fallen and I can't get up issues.

Not really funny - but if someone falls in one of the assisted living or nursing homes - skilled or rehab, EMS is called to come help get them up.

Same is true, I believe for those push safe monitors - EMS is sent out to those.

This is true. My MIL lives in a retirement community with various levels of care. The staff is required to call EMS anytime someone falls and cannot get up on their own. Even nurses are not allowed to assist.
FamousAgg
Everyone is so afraid of lawsuits, a damn shame

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.