College Station Post Office merging with Bryan Post Office

5,974 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by halibut sinclair
WolfCall
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sorry if this is old news and been posted before.

As I (don't) understand it, College Station mail carriers will be picking up the mail for their routes at the Bryan Post Office. I also heard that the U.S. Post Office at TAMU reduce staff at the window to one.

https://www.savethepostoffice.com/texas-two-step-sdc-holds-grand-opening-post-office-gets-downsized/
Quote:

Texas Two-Step: S&DC holds a grand opening, Post Office gets downsized
February 13, 2023

.....According to an internal USPS presentation from July 29, 2022, the Bryan S&DC may eventually absorb routes and carriers from five post offices College Station, Caldwell, Hearne, Navasota, and North Zulch. The presentation indicates that about half of the facility's 120,000 total square feet are available for more carriers. (This excess space was probably the result of processing consolidations that took place in 2012.)

While eventually a total of 96 routes may eventually transfer to Bryan, in this first phase of the rollout, only the College Station post office will have its 68 carriers relocated to Bryan. ....
A Net Full of Jello
AG
Will this make mail delivery in CS even slower or make it speedier like in Bryan?
trouble
AG
The hope is that it's more efficient. I guess we'll see.

I wish they'd bring local sorting back.
Belton Ag
AG
Is this Bryan's revenge for College Station's sewer invasion?
hopeandrealchange
I can't imagine this move could make our mail service any worse than it is now.
BQ_90
AG
CS post office has been terrible for years
wareagle044
my neighbors and I are always trading for the correct pieces of mail and asking each other if packages were left on the others porches. This oughta help with that…..
BrandoC
AG
Does the College Station Post Office completely shut down?
TyHolden
AG
BrandoC said:

Does the College Station Post Office completely shut down?
They could turn it into a hub for all the banks. That way we don't need to drive all around town to cash checks at 100 different banks. Takes up my whole Friday!!!!
AggieBaseball06
AG
The retail side stays open... so you can still go to the counter, drop stuff off, have a PO Box, etc.
Hornbeck
So then there's another step added if you're mailing something.

Before: CS drop, Houston sort, Bryan
After: CS drop, Bryan, Houston sort, Bryan

Yeah, that's waaayy more efficient.
A Net Full of Jello
AG
hopeandrealchange said:

I can't imagine this move could make our mail service any worse than it is now.
Never underestimate the government's ability to be even more incompetent.
techno-ag
AG
Hornbeck said:

Don't think so. Before everything outgoing went from CS to Bryan then Houston and that remains unchanged.

What is changing is the mail will arrive at Bryan and delivery vehicles will take it from there to CS homes. So, the step eliminated is bulk delivery from Bryan PO to CS PO before delivery to households, IIUC.
Rexter
The S in S&DC stands for sorting. I've got a cousin that is a carrier in Athens, GA. I'll reach out and see how it's been since they were they first to convert.
woodometer
AG
I just mailed from the Bryan PO 10 identical items that are going all over. most to the north but one to spring. All of the items are being sent to Coppell for sorting including the one going to Spring. Looks like it will come back to Houston from Coppell.
doubledog
techno-ag said:

Hornbeck said:

Don't think so. Before everything outgoing went from CS to Bryan then Houston and that remains unchanged.

What is changing is the mail will arrive at Bryan and delivery vehicles will take it from there to CS homes. So, the step eliminated is bulk delivery from Bryan PO to CS PO before delivery to households, IIUC.
Ok then instead of one big truck moving the mail there will be dozens of little vans. It is reverse logic.

Now that will use less gas.... NOT.
trouble
AG
Those little vans were already moving it from the CS PO. Some of them won't even have to go as far as that office to run their routes.
techno-ag
AG
doubledog said:

techno-ag said:

Hornbeck said:

Ok then instead of one big truck moving the mail there will be dozens of little vans. It is reverse logic.

Now that will use less gas.... NOT.
Yeah but they still got to get it to the houses. They'll just load up from the Bryan PO instead of CS.
doubledog
trouble said:

Those little vans were already moving it from the CS PO. Some of them won't even have to go as far as that office to run their routes.
So add an extra 6 miles to say pepplecreek and 6 miles back. That is 12 miles extra. or about a gallon of gas (give or take). The distance saved to north C.S. is < saved to south C.S.
trouble
AG
But you still need to factor in fuel from the big truck and what was already being used from CS PO to those routes.
AggiePhil
AG
Lots of postal operations experts here, apparently. Very interesting to read.
trouble
AG
I'm a postal carrier's kid and was married to another postal carrier's kid for almost 15 years. I've heard a little about how they run
techno-ag
AG
Oops.
Hornbeck
Famous words: "I'm from the government, I'm here to help."
trouble
AG
Should strike fear in everyone
bcstx06
Trouble is already starting:
Residents say confusion at Bryan & College Station post offices are causing delays
https://www.kbtx.com/2023/03/03/residents-say-confusion-bryan-college-station-post-offices-are-causing-delays/

trouble
AG
That article sounds like CS post office is just doing their usual awful job.
Hornbeck
trouble said:

Because the dozen previous news stories KBTX/KAGS/KRHD/The Buzzard/WTAW/Rock the Good Ag's podcast (okay, I made that one up) have been so effective in driving change.
woodiewood1
I haven't looked at all of this, but I am in support of consolidating the rural post office as much as possible.

In this day and age, do we really need 22 post offices within 25 miles of BCS?

I bet that not many more than 20 people don't go into and use the Millican post office an the average day. Can the people around Wellborn not go to one of the BCS post offices? Can Wheelock residents go to Franklin which is about 12 miles to the north? Snook residents go to BCS or to Somerville?

befitter
woodiewood1 said:

I haven't looked at all of this, but I am in support of consolidating the rural post office as much as possible.

I bet that not many more than 20 people don't go into and use the Millican post office an the average day. Can the people around Wellborn not go to one of the BCS post offices? Can Wheelock residents go to Franklin which is about 12 miles to the north? Snook residents go to BCS or to Somerville?

The Wellborn post office was a gem for dropping off mail and boxes and avoiding the mess that the CS was and is.
woodiewood1
befitter said:

woodiewood1 said:

The Wellborn post office was a gem for dropping off mail and boxes and avoiding the mess that the CS was and is.
No doubt the rural post offices are great, but I think they need to be consolidated so that the costs of mail handling and deliver can be reduced and the cost to taxpapers be reduced.
AggieBaseball06
AG
woodiewood1 said:

befitter said:

woodiewood1 said:

No doubt the rural post offices are great, but I think they need to be consolidated so that the costs of mail handling and deliver can be reduced and the cost to taxpapers be reduced.
https://facts.usps.com/top-facts/

Quote:

The Postal Service generally receives no tax dollars for operating expenses and relies on the sale of postage, products and services to fund its operations.
AggiePhil
AG
befitter said:

woodiewood1 said:

Still is.
dr_boogs
AG
trouble said:

I put two checks in the mail (which I try my best to avoid but these had to go by mail) at the CS post office a couple weeks ago. Stopped letting the CS mail carrier pick up outgoing mail at my mailbox a decade ago. I'm not new here.

I used the lone remaining outside blue box w the now goofy yellow swinging bar at the slot. Both envelopes vanished. Neither one ever made it to their destination. Guess they will tell me it's my fault for not walking them to the slot inside. Had to pay out of pocket for two stop payment fees w my bank.

That post office is awful.
woodiewood1
AggieBaseball06 said:

woodiewood1 said:

befitter said:

woodiewood1 said:

https://facts.usps.com/top-facts/

Quote:

The Postal Service generally receives no tax dollars for operating expenses and relies on the sale of postage, products and services to fund its operations.

Ok. You, if you pay taxes, paid, or will over time, about $1,000 of taxes last year to bail the PO out. Of course you will also have to eventually cover the $160,000,000,000 shortfall also. They need to immediatly go to every other day mail....MWF and TTSat.

"Congress Just Voted to Overhaul the Post Office. Here's What That Means for Your Mail
Mail service is slower now than in the 1970s. Congress' $107 billion bailout probably won't change that.March 8, 2022 3:26 p.m. PT

The Senate on Tuesday evening passed the Postal Service Reform Act, a massive $107 billion bailout of the post office that sailed through the House of Representatives in early February.

The bill, which cleared the Senate 79 to 19, now heads to President Joe Biden, who has indicated he intends to sign it into law.

According to the USPS itself, the service will incur a $160 billion shortfall over the next 10 years.

This bill is intended to shore up the post office's money woes, overhaul employees' retirement health benefits and develop an online dashboard with local and national delivery time data.

https://www.cnet.com/news/politics/postal-service-reform-bill-mail-slowdown/ "

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.