Permit to replace hot water heater?

3,939 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Stupe
woodiewood1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is one needed.
MS08
AG
No, not worth pursuing a permit
Rex Racer
AG
No. I have swapped out my own a couple of times, too.
maddiedou
AG
Not if you do it yourself.

The only thing you need to make sure of is that your popoff drain is higher than the drain line
Does this make sense

And I hope nobody pops off about hot water heater for whatever reason it really makes me mad
gettingitdone
In Bryan, a permit is required
happyinBCS
It is in CS also but if you do it yourself no need to get one
maddiedou
AG
Also if you have any questions text me 979- eight two
o-l87o

Dont call I can explain better in a text
gettingitdone
In Bryan, even if you do it yourself, a permit is required. Got this information directly from them
Flatlander
Before long, you'll need a permit to change a lightbulb, unclog your toilet, or operate your oven.
Rex Racer
AG
gettingitdone said:

In Bryan, even if you do it yourself, a permit is required. Got this information directly from them
Oops. Did it twice over the years. Too bad.
happyinBCS
As I said above if you call them they will tell you yes so they can sell you a permit, but last I checked it is America and your property Now if you don't know what you are doing and screw it up and burn the house down that is a problem, the assumption here is before you attempt it you have the skill to do it.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
It's a pathetic state of affairs when one has to even ask this question.
W
AG
just have the workers truck pull all the way up in your driveway

and leave the old one in the backyard --- take it to the scrapyard yourself --- prices are up
fcag
AG
It comes down to CYA. When you sell some day down the road, you have to disclose if there was any unpermitted work. If you don't pull a permit and something goes wrong down the road after you sell, and they can prove it was replaced without a permit, the new owners could cause problems. Reality though is that probably more than 99% of "permit required" work in this town is done without a permit.
Texker
AG
Current house I didn't. I did pull one at our previous house as there was some work needed to bring up to code and I wanted to be sure it was done correctly.
JB
AG
Txmoe
AG
Also, why is it called a hot water heater? Hot water doesn't need to be heated. Shouldn't it be called a cold water heater? (RIP George Carlin)
ClassicArnold
Never will ask permission to do this. If you or a family member know how to do it correctly, it's none of their damn business.
src94
AG
How about just a water heater.
src94
australopithecus robustus
Over governance causes prices to be higher so the same people who over govern can complain about prices
Stupe
S
ClassicArnold said:

Never will ask permission to do this. If you or a family member know how to do it correctly, it's none of their damn business.
If it's a gas water heater it might be the business of others.
woodiewood1
Txmoe said:

Also, why is it called a hot water heater? Hot water doesn't need to be heated. Shouldn't it be called a cold water heater? (RIP George Carlin)
Doesn't it keep the hot water heated?
Audacity
I got the permit when I knew I would be selling the property a year or so later...
Stupe
S
woodiewood1 said:

Txmoe said:

Doesn't it keep the hot water heated?
It's only called a hot water heater by the general public.

At appliance stores, they are just called water heaters.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.