TxDOT Construction Texas Ave-University to 21

6,110 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by jeremy
tb9665
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I just read that construction is going to start on Texas Avenue and head north to HWY 21. Is there a site that I can see what the medians will look like down Texas Avenue?
aneisch
AG
Sort of:

https://ftp.txdot.gov/pub/txdot/get-involved/bry/bs-6r/120821-presentation-and-script.pdf [https://www.txdot.gov/projects/hearings-meetings/bryan/archive/120821.html]
turfman80
AG
Great....more raised medians to prevent left hand turns
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
boredatwork08
AG
turfman80 said:

Good. It seems few drivers in this town can handle left turns safely.
bcstx06
aneisch said:

Sort of:

https://ftp.txdot.gov/pub/txdot/get-involved/bry/bs-6r/120821-presentation-and-script.pdf [https://www.txdot.gov/projects/hearings-meetings/bryan/archive/120821.html]

A population of 101,447 by the year 2045 is a really low estimate for the city of Bryan. I would think the population is close to that now.
tamufan
Population in 2020: 83,900. (US Census) Estimated population in 2023: 86,314. (World Population Review).
maroon barchetta
boredatwork08 said:

turfman80 said:

Yay!

More illegal and unsafe u-turns!
tb9665
I remember wen College Station put them in businesses said it would effect them. Wonder how many in Bryan will say the same.
Average Joe
AG
maroon barchetta said:

boredatwork08 said:

turfman80 said:

Yay!

I just stopped going most places. If I have to go 3 miles out of the way so I can make sure I'm on the right side of the road to turn into your business then I would rather go somewhere else
b0ridi
I like the left turn lane on westbound Harvey which only leads to Johnny Carinos... which is permanently closed.
doubledog
boredatwork08 said:

turfman80 said:

It just forces people to make unsafe U turns. TxDOT needs to force no U turns on all Texas Ave intersections...
woodiewood1
maroon barchetta said:

boredatwork08 said:

turfman80 said:

Yay!

Unless there's signage that states no U-turns, they are legal.

As far as safety goes, cars that want to make a right on red turn, need to realize that the U-turn car which has a green light, has the ROW. Not really too difficult to manage traffic flow.
doubledog
woodiewood1 said:

maroon barchetta said:

boredatwork08 said:

turfman80 said:

Yay!

As far as safety goes, cars that want to make a right on red turn, need to realize that the U-turn car which has a green light, has the ROW. Not really too difficult to manage traffic flow.
Which "row" all three on Texas Ave? This is why it is not safe...
maroon barchetta
ROW = right of way
LOYAL AG
AG
woodiewood1 said:

maroon barchetta said:

boredatwork08 said:

turfman80 said:

Yay!

Unless there's signage that states no U-turns and there's an officer there watching, they are legal.

Fify
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
threecatcorner
I don't believe their numbers about how many fewer wrecks there are since they've put in raised medians. There's one I know for sure has had more wrecks and it's mostly because of u-turns which are not marked as illegal but are stupid to do there.

Also, it seems like all those raised medians make it harder on emergency vehicles. On a road with medians just painted on the ground, an ambulance/fire truck could move into that lane and get past a traffic jam, but if there are raised medians, they can't get over there and if there's too much traffic, people can't get out of the way enough. I don't know if anyone has studied this at all, but I'd imagine this design TXDOT seems to be forcing everywhere must have slowed emergency response down to an unacceptable amount on at least a few occasions.
doubledog
maroon barchetta said:

ROW = right of way
It was a joke... Bad one, I know.
Bad Poster
tb9665 said:

I remember wen College Station put them in businesses said it would effect them. Wonder how many in Bryan will say the same.

I know for sure I go to total wine now instead of the specs on harvey just because of the medians they put on harvey there at the entrance/exit. Pain in the ass to get out of that parking lot now if I need to go east
Bucketrunner
We've done the same.
woodometer
AG
Well today I was going west on University going to Jimmy Johns. Since you cant turn left into Jimmy Johns anymore because of the wonderful medians you have to turn earlier and take the back streets behind Jimmy Johns to get there. Well now the city has the street behind Jimmy Johns closed and torn up for construction. I get that the mediums improve flow but they sure make getting into places an adventure sometimes.
Smeghead4761
The medians are good for people who like to speed, though. They make it almost impossible for a cop driving or sitting stationary facing the opposite direction (which is how cops usually catch speeders) to get turned around on the speeder.

CS needs to not put medians on Wellborn, if only to allow UPD and CSPD to more readily get at drunks driving on that road leaving Northgate.
maroon barchetta
Smeghead4761 said:

The medians are good for people who like to speed, though. They make it almost impossible for a cop driving or sitting stationary facing the opposite direction (which is how cops usually catch speeders) to get turned around on the speeder.

CS needs to not put medians on Wellborn, if only to allow UPD and CSPD to more readily get at drunks driving on that road leaving Northgate.

Wellborn is an FM road. CoCS shouldn't be able to do anything to it.
taxpreparer
AG
woodiewood1 said:

maroon barchetta said:

boredatwork08 said:

turfman80 said:

Yay!

lol that anyone believes drivers cannot make safe left turns across traffic, but can make safe u-turns.
Rearview
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Smeghead4761 said:

That's... not how this works...
Rearview
AG
Bad Poster said:

tb9665 said:

I know for sure I go to total wine now instead of the specs on harvey just because of the medians they put on harvey there at the entrance/exit. Pain in the ass to get out of that parking lot now if I need to go east
Not hard... exit to Dominik, turn right, turn right, left on Harvey at the PROTECTED LIGHT.
Smeghead4761
Rearview said:

maroon barchetta said:

Smeghead4761 said:

That's... not how this works...
And Wellborn being an FM hasn't stopped the city from building medians on it between 2818 and Fitch.
threecatcorner
I thought it was TXDOT, not either of the cities, that was so intent on putting medians everywhere.
techno-ag
AG
Smeghead4761 said:

If fewer speed traps result, that would be very nice.
tb9665
Noticed the other day that going to Sonic will be harder depending on direction you are coming from. I guess it's a wait and see to see what happens down Texas.
lawless89
Smeghead4761 said:

Unless it's a motorcycle cop hiding in the median against the planters on Texas at George Bush.
maroon barchetta
Not as many planters now, correct?
Smeghead4761
The newer medians don't have planters, or where they do (University by Taco Bell), they're a lot lower, with short plants and grasses in them, not bit bushes. I think the planters there mainly exist to try to keep students to the cross walks. It looks like they're trying to get cactus to grow in them.
tb9665
I have not heard any more businesses talk about the medians being placed don Texas Ave. in awhile. Just Sonic.
b0ridi
tb9665 said:

I have not heard any more businesses talk about the medians being placed don Texas Ave. in awhile. Just Sonic.
If you're coming down Texas Ave from Villa Maria and want to get into that Sonic, the nearby hotel, or anything on Cooner.... how do you do it? I had to do a huge loop yesterday.
BCSWguru
b0ridi said:

tb9665 said:

If you're coming down Texas Ave from Villa Maria and want to get into that Sonic, the nearby hotel, or anything on Cooner.... how do you do it? I had to do a huge loop yesterday.
You dont.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.