Continental/DR Horton Homes in South CS

2,981 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by The Anchor
2007fightintexasaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Curious if anyone has any feedback (good & bad) on owning one of their homes in the Castlegate II subdivision?
michellecan
Not sure about Castlegate, but you need to research DR Horton before you buy one of their homes
dallasiteinsa02
The largest home builder in the United States is going to have a ton of negative reviews. Not saying that they are correct but the scale is going to be relative to their size.

What I would do is ask the salesperson, what neighborhood. built 10 years ago or longer has homes of the same quality that they are quoting. I would drive and take a look at that neighborhood. This is my fear of what they are doing in Midtown. I mentally advance that community for 10 years, and those homes will look like crap. They are not built out of materials that will age gracefully.
Buford T. Justice
AG
In my opinion, you will not want to be near the midtown area in 15 years. It will be interesting to see how that area affects the homes down the street in another neighborhood.
dubi
AG
michellecan said:

Not sure about Castlegate, but you need to research DR Horton before you buy one of their homes
Reddit has some threads on DR Horton. Definitely research before you sign!
dubi
AG
dallasiteinsa02 said:

The largest home builder in the United States is going to have a ton of negative reviews. Not saying that they are correct but the scale is going to be relative to their size.

What I would do is ask the salesperson, what neighborhood. built 10 years ago or longer has homes of the same quality that they are quoting. I would drive and take a look at that neighborhood. This is my fear of what they are doing in Midtown. I mentally advance that community for 10 years, and those homes will look like crap. They are not built out of materials that will age gracefully.
I think it will be a community of rentals like those Stylecraft communities off of Baron.
Hornbeck
Look at some of those Main Street built off Graham. Not good.
RealBad08
The ones off Baron are individual privately owned condos
------------------------------------------------------- Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way.
cledus6150
AG
I bought a new build DR Horton house in October in S.College Station. I will say inspect inspect inspect and watch the grading of the lot. A few of the big things for me were paint, sheetrock, texture and just overall finish work! They are in a race to put up houses and do not finish the houses well. I think if you are not in a hurry and have time to inspect the whole period of build you will be ok. I was in a time crunch to get moved out of my old house and into a new one due to contract, otherwise I would not have ended up in this house. I also had several houses that we agreed on price and appraisal came in low, including my DR Horton house!
woodiewood1
dallasiteinsa02 said:

Those midtown homes right off of Rock Prairie are awful close to each other...can they shake hands through the windows? They should have just built attached townhouses with larger back fenced yards with an HOA fee maintaining the front yards to maintain a consistent look and maintenance level..

As you are, unless everyone really takes care of their yards and maintenance on the exterior, it could look really bad. I have been in a few and they are value homes and built like they are.

I sure would look at the deed restrictions for the subdivision to see what restriction there are on unlicensed vehicle up on blocks, RVs store in the driveways, long term parking on the streets, etc.
dubi
AG
RealBad08 said:

The ones off Baron are individual privately owned condos
I mean stand alone homes south of Baron built by Stylecraft.
Bucketrunner
As I've said before, we refer to that area as the Midtown Detention Center. Really not an asset to the community.
UhOhNoAgTag
A friend's retired parents purchased a home there. The street they live on are the homeowners and consists of retirees and people employed at A&M.

The parents used an independent inspector before purchasing. There were just a couple minor items that were quickly addressed.
EBrazosAg
AG
My first home was a DRH in Dallas. Built w them from the dirt. While not a custom builder it was a great experience and I learned a ton that I took to my next house and my third (hopefully my pine box house). DRH has issues I'm certain- but also serves a specific purpose and place in the home building industry. Be wise and know what it is and make it work - or be less informed and aware and run into surprises. Probably can be said about many other builders.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
LOYAL AG
AG
Ask about their build quality. If they tell you they build to code pick another builder. Build to code means they meet the minimum requirements in the jurisdiction they're building in. There are any number of builders in this area that build to higher standards that the bare minimum required to by law. There's a lot of clay in the soil here and that causes a lot of problems if the foundation isn't constructed properly. Foundation and framing are what matters. By time you get to Sheetrock and finish out the important parts of the home are hidden.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
woodiewood1
UhOhNoAgTag said:

A friend's retired parents purchased a home there. The street they live on are the homeowners and consists of retirees and people employed at A&M.

The parents used an independent inspector before purchasing. There were just a couple minor items that were quickly addressed.
I wasn't referencing the quality of the construction at all.
The Anchor
AG
For reference on DR Horton:

https://www.kbtx.com/2022/05/23/storms-leave-behind-damage-across-brazos-valley/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.