Prime Air may not be ready for prime time

4,560 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by spike427
Koko Chingo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.theverge.com/2023/2/2/23582294/amazon-prime-air-drone-delivery

According to the article (there are others many behind paywalls)

FAA restrictions are seriously limiting flights. Between the two Prime Air locations (CA and BCS), less than 10 deliveries total have actually occurred. It also states over half of the Prime Air employees at both locations have been let go. So this will probably not be a quick fix.

A couple of big FAA restrictions:
Drones cannot fly over roads without a human spotter

Sustained flight within 250 ft. laterally of roadways is prohibited, and transitions over roadways is prohibited, unless otherwise approved by the Administrator

Eventually it should get worked out but who knows how quickly they can work with the FAA and get some exemptions.

cavscout96
AG
Koko Chingo said:

https://www.theverge.com/2023/2/2/23582294/amazon-prime-air-drone-delivery

According to the article (there are others many behind paywalls)

FAA restrictions are seriously limiting flights. Between the two Prime Air locations (CA and BCS), less than 10 deliveries total have actually occurred. It also states over half of the Prime Air employees at both locations have been let go. So this will probably not be a quick fix.

A couple of big FAA restrictions:
Drones cannot fly over roads without a human spotter

Sustained flight within 250 ft. laterally of roadways is prohibited, and transitions over roadways is prohibited, unless otherwise approved by the Administrator

Eventually it should get worked out but who knows how quickly they can work with the FAA and get some exemptions.

bad idea from its conception
dallasiteinsa02
It was a marketing gimmick. They never intended for this to actually be a viable option.
spike427
AG
dallasiteinsa02 said:

It was a marketing gimmick. They never intended for this to actually be a viable option.

All those yard QR code boards are a marketing gimmick? I guess they'll let us know when we need to toss them.

I think it's more like... someone didn't do their full homework OR there were unofficial promises made that allowed the project to move forward, and now it's a bungled mess.
Koko Chingo
AG
I think this is about being first to market for Amazon. In the grand scheme of things, a drone should be cheaper than a person in the long run. If restaurants got into the game along with pharmacies and office supplies, the sky just above us could be chaos.

After reading the FAA restrictions, Amazon knew the timeline was farther out. Especially when they presented to the Chamber a few weeks ago. They did not mention layoffs.

The big election cycle is coming, I imagine Amazon will be wanted expedited FAA waivers for donations.

Being first and being a big company helps ensure you have a seat at the table. Amazon can wait it out. I just wanted to order something and have it show up in the back yard. I think it will get here eventually.

If you live in certain parts of Foxfire, Wood Creek, or Emerald Forrest you probably have a shot sooner than those across the highway.
El_duderino
Why not focus on fixing 1 week delivery times first?
toolshed
AG
I'm actually seeing 2 day deliveries again for things, first time in a while.
El_duderino
I've only seen that for brief periods the last couple of friday mornings. Other than that, it reverts back. Positive news though
duffelpud
AG
This is how local, state and national government shakes down corporations:

1) set up rules
2) charge companies for exemption from those laws
3) Profit!
"What's this button do?"
AggiePhil
AG
spike427 said:

All those yard QR code boards are a marketing gimmick? I guess they'll let us know when we need to toss them.

Might be worth something in a few years.
trouble
AG
I ordered 3 pair of boots this morning. 1 pair being delivered tomorrow and the other 2 Saturday
El_duderino
I still show 2/8 as delivery. Maybe it's working itself out slowly
AggiePhil
AG
trouble said:

I ordered 3 pair of boots this morning. 1 pair being delivered tomorrow and the other 2 Saturday

Via Prime Air?
trouble
AG
No, regular Amazon.
woodiewood1
spike427 said:

dallasiteinsa02 said:

I think it's more like... someone didn't do their full homework OR there were unofficial promises made that allowed the project to move forward, and now it's a bungled mess.
I would save it....it will be on Ebay for $1000 a few years from now.
dubi
AG
I am across the highway just south of the quad and received this email yesterday:

fitcetera
I live on the same side of the highway as their center and got that same email. Dang it, I really wanted to have something delivered by drone just for the fun of watching it happen.
Koko Chingo
AG
I am not too far from you, Between Holleman & SW Parkway, closer to Glade. I was worried to check my email after seeing your post. I think one hour drone delivery would be great.

According to the article, the FAA filing says a delivery range of 3.73 miles, That should put you in range. The A&M Hotel is roughly on the 3.73mi boundary. I guess range equates to where they can legally fly versus the actual capability of the drone.

I know some people do not like it; and, It doesn't seem to be a politically partisan issue. I hope Amazon can clear all the red tape sooner than later.

- - If you or anyone else wants to play with a radius map tool: https://www.mapdevelopers.com/draw-circle-tool.php

The Brazos Kid
Just think, there was a time not long ago where we would order items from a 1-800 number on TV and were OK with the "allow 4-6 weeks for delivery" disclaimer at the bottom of the screen...
localag88
"Drones cannot fly over roads without a human spotter"

Wouldn't it be far simpler to have the human spotter deliver one's package?
The problem with people that don't get it is they don't get that they don't get it.
Koko Chingo
AG
That's what my kids said about the spotter.

Could you imagine the spotter at 5pm rush hour driving, looking for a drone, and texting. That's al lot to ask of anyone, lol.

Well, the joys of beta testing.
java94
AG
Doesn't sound like it's getting any closer...

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/11/amazon-prime-air-drone-business-stymied-by-regulations-weak-demand.html
spike427
AG
I saw the drone today!! We were driving on Hwy 6 headed north about 10:40 a.m. One of my kids asked what was in the sky over there and I was like, that's the Amazon drone!! It was maybe 50-100 ft? (not totally sure I was trying to focus on the road) in the air over not too far from their location.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.