Road conditions 2/1/23

3,132 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by techno-ag
JP76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone been out on 6 this morning?
Any ice issues to be aware of?
Is it drivable to Hearne from CS ?
KaneIsAble
AG
Drove to Houston; no issues that I came across and temp was never below 32 on the dash.
AgProgrammer
AG
34 and raining with the hourly showing it slowly continuing to warm through the day. Seems like all of the closures for College Station were a bit premature.
gunan01
AG
A delayed start would have been a better option. Hindsight is 20/20 though.
techno-ag
AG
I'd rather not take chance with children. Ok with the closures personally. People aren't the best drivers and lots of rural routes may have worse conditions than in town.
cajunken
I just drove all the way up Wellborn Road from deep south College Station into Bryan, and the roads were in great shape. Hardly any traffic at all.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
No issues south CS/William D Fitch/Hwy 30. Hardly any traffic due to so many places being shut down.

That said, it's sitting right at 32 now, so it could get slick if it gets a little colder.
Tailgate88
AG
AgProgrammer said:

34 and raining with the hourly showing it slowly continuing to warm through the day. Seems like all of the closures for College Station were a bit premature.

In town is not the problem. Roads are colder outside of town.
angus55
No ice issues on 21 through NZ this morning. More water ponding, especially in the bad spot around Shepherds Creek.

39 North to Jewett was ok. Just falling tree limbs blocking North bound lanes a few places.
We'll win this war, but we'll win it only by fighting and by showing the Germans that we've got more guts than they have, or ever will have. We're not going to just shoot the sons-of-b******, were going to rip out their living G*******d guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We're going to murder those lousy Hun c********** by the bushel-f****** basket. War is a bloody killing business. You've got to spill their blood or they will spill yours. Rip them up the belly. Shot them in the guts.
double b
AG
I'm not sure why school districts and businesses no longer use delayed starts. This would have been perfect for today.

From this point forward, the temperatures are climbing higher.
Stupe
S
Tailgate88 said:

AgProgrammer said:

In town is not the problem. Roads are colder outside of town.
Bus drivers that aren't used to ice is the reason that I don't mind districts in our area being careful.

I agree that a delay would have been better.
FamousAgg
JP76 said:

Anyone been out on 6 this morning?
Any ice issues to be aware of?
Is it drivable to Hearne from CS ?

You won't have any issues
George Costanza
Meteorologists make educated guesses, school districts, other government entities and businesses rely on those guesses. Sometimes they are right and sometimes they are wrong. Hindsight is an amazing superpower though!

As a small business owner we typically shut down or work from home when the schools close … employees with young children make that a necessity in our view.
Abbyag06
Delayed start for working parents would be a nightmare, having to get to work late, is my guess why they didn't do a delayed start. There is no answer that would make everyone happy. I think they made the right call. There are extra hours built into the learning schedule for the year so no make up day. Let's be thankful that the roads are passable for people that had no choice but to drive to work today.
TyHolden
AG
Roads are probably the safest they've ever been during a semester as most students are hung over and still sleeping. Get out and enjoy your day of freedom from gridlock!
double b
AG
Abbyag06 said:

Delayed start for working parents would be a nightmare, having to get to work late, is my guess why they didn't do a delayed start. There is no answer that would make everyone happy. I think they made the right call. There are extra hours built into the learning schedule for the year so no make up day. Let's be thankful that the roads are passable for people that had no choice but to drive to work today.
I'm sure there are many families that depend on working to support their family and have very limited options for childcare. Having to arrive late to work is better than not working at all. These are hours of potential earned pay they cannot get back.

I don't mind cancellations when the road conditions call for it. Today is not one of those days. Also, just because we have plenty of school days and can afford to miss one, it still does not take into consideration the many families who depend on their kids to go to school and have a very difficult time making alternate arrangements.
JP76
Saw zero ice on any roads and very little traffic on my drive north. I think the road issues were a little further north and west.
Abbyag06
double b said:

Abbyag06 said:

I'm sure there are many families that depend on working to support their family and have very limited options for childcare. Having to arrive late to work is better than not working at all. These are hours of potential earned pay they cannot get back.

I don't mind cancellations when the road conditions call for it. Today is not one of those days. Also, just because we have plenty of school days and can afford to miss one, it still does not take into consideration the many families who depend on their kids to go to school and have a very difficult time making alternate arrangements.
That is exactly why I stated there is no answer to make everyone happy. Every family has a unique circumstance and will have issues if they cancel or not. If they had not cancelled school and the roads were icy people would be on her complaining that the districts did the wrong thing. There is no way to make a full proof decision, it's weather. Years ago I skated in my car taking my daughter to school and swore I would never do it again. I appreciate the district talking it out with the meteorologists and making the call they thought was best. Not to mention the people that live outside the city where temps get colder. The streets could freeze even if not in "the city". I am glad they made this decision.
billydean05
There was never any need for even a delayed start. The forecast has always been low of between 31-33 for B/CS. These temperatures do not result in icy roads. Slow down slightly on bridges and overpasses. Blinn, TAMU, Bryan ISD, and College Station ISD appeared to just want a day off and all of the day cares follow suit. This costs millions of dollars to our city in lost productivity and was a gross overreaction to cold rainy days.
George Costanza
Actually …. We were under a winter storm warning until noon with potential ice accumulation of 1/4 of an inch. Luckily, it ended up staying just north of us.
toolshed
AG
Franklin is still closed tomorrow due to power outages and other issues. We have friends with a generator that had several friends come stay with them today to stay warm and eat because they had not power of their own. They're 20 miles or less from us.

Yes, hindsight says no big deal, but they made their best guesses on safety of the kids based on the information they had. I'm glad they erred on the side of caution concerning what people in our outlying communities are dealing with today and tonight. It could have been worse with a shift in temps just a few miles farther south/ east.
FamousAgg
Every Texan needs to invest in a small propane heater and a small camping stove. most people should be able to function without power for some time. I understand that some people have medical needs for electricity.

We need to be prepared, the supply chain is broken, infrastructure is burdened in Texas
toolshed
AG
New hazard!! Ice falling from power lines….

Just had a big piece splash down in the bar ditch on OSR. Glad it didn't fall into my windshield!
cavscout96
AG
if you're traveling the Brazos river bottom between Navasota and Millican, slow down. Lots of standing water. Don't want to end up 100yds into a freshly plowed field. Might not get out for a couple of weeks based on the amount of rain in the area.
toolshed
AG
Downed trees, tree limbs, frozen power lines much worse just into Wheelock and north of there. Amazing how a few miles makes a big difference in the conditions.
billydean05
George Costanza said:

Actually …. We were under a winter storm warning until noon with potential ice accumulation of 1/4 of an inch. Luckily, it ended up staying just north of us.
And it started on Tuesday. So should have cancelled Tuesday also if cancel anytime a winter weather advisory hits. Come on look at temperatures and if they are not going to get down to the upper twenties ice will not accumulate on roads with the possible exception of driving carefully on bridges and overpasses.
techno-ag
AG
All Robertson Co. schools except Mumford closed for lack of power. Someone drove through Hearne this morning and the whole town is shut down. I hear Franklin, Calvert and Bremond are likewise.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.