Suggestions Needed - German Relatives Visiting

1,478 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ChampsAg
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
Have my wife's cousins from Germany visiting us for a few days this upcoming week.

Looking for some ideas on things to do - want to show them a fun Texas experience. Was thinking of something's but totally open to suggestions…

A few ideas I had:

- 4-wheeling/ATVing - are there any places where we can rent and ride some? If not ATV - is there a place where we can ride some horses?

- Skeet Shooting/Shooting Range: I've only really used the range outside my padres in Buffalo/Centerville but is there other places you'd recommend?

- Dining/Eating Out - Definitely gonna try 1775 BBQ but am open to other places we can take them for eating out?

We also plan to do first Friday as well.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions!
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
ChampsAg
Blue Bell is a favorite of my visiting relatives. Nice drive and Brenham has some great restaurants as well.
Bucketrunner
Visiting the Shiner Brewery? Ables in Huntsville has a great shooting range and might sell day passes. Not sure, though.

Could you get to Galveston for seafood?
Smeghead4761
Aggie basketball game? Men's team is home against UGA on Saturday.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
I had forgotten about Blue Bell. That would be fun to go!
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
They have to leave on Saturday to fly back - otherwise I would have been all over the game.
woodiewood1
It would be interesting to take them to the German restaurant in Walburg to hear their opinion as to the food and experience. Great place to go.

Not knowing them, I would consider taking them to San Antonio to the Alamo and eat down on the River Walk one early evening meal.

Blue bell is nice to watch the production from the viewing room....$1 ice cream!!

Bush Library.

Leona General Store for a country steak meal.

Galveston for a day. Hit the NASA Johnson Space Center museum on the way there.

O.G.
Baby steps on introducing Europeans to firearms. Don't ask me how I know.

Talk to them first to see if they are interested before you bust out the hardware.
Koko Chingo
AG
O.G. said:

Baby steps on introducing Europeans to firearms. Don't ask me how I know.
I am pretty sure I can guess lol.

With firearms I have found a suppressed .22 such as a 10/22 tactical or M&P 15-22 shooting steel targets has always been a hit. No recoil or loud noise and the sound from hitting steel provides instant feedback as to a hit or miss of the target.

Shotguns have been a mixed bag. If you get a cringe and some hesitation by just asking then consider not forcing it when you only have a weekend.

If they are open to it. Go to the range you are familiar with near Centerville and then go to the Leona General Store as woodiewood1 mentioned.

That is one of the most 'Texan' places you can take someone. It is also BYOB so people outside of Texas think it is really wild to walk into a restaurant with your own 6 pack, bottle of wine and glasses. If you go, get there early 4:30 - 4:45 ish to be in the first wave.
ratfacemcdougal
heli pig hunting
doubledog
ChampsAg said:

Blue Bell is a favorite of my visiting relatives. Nice drive and Brenham has some great restaurants as well.
Stop at Truth BBQ first. Brenham is an old clean town settled by Germans, they may get a kick out of it.
SW AG80
AG
I took some Brits to The Chicken for a burger and Shiner Bock. They loved it. Thought it was the real Texas.
CS78
My experience, Europeans are mostly enamored with our freedoms. If they're up for it, blasting tannerite with AKs and ARs, maybe a pig hunt. If not, maybe some wide open spaces with no people around like a state park hike. Fishing on the Texas coast or a big lake. Or, ask and see what they had in mind.
AggieClassOf2007
AG
general sams in huntsville for atv trails
Aggie@state.gov
AG
unfortunately the weather is going foil most of your outdoor plans except for Friday, but they will be used to it from Germany.
O.G.
Could also ask them if they know that their country bombed the moon.........
ChampsAg
LJ's bbq is pretty damn good and May be more likely to be open
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.