What's the best and worst restaurant you've been to in Bryan/College Station?

23,156 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Thisguy1
lethalninja
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What's the best and worst restaurant you've been to in Bryan/College Station?

[Poster can give positive and negative reviews but just like we do on other threads about local business posters will be required to give some information on why they are giving a bad review. -Staff]
sirhc
AG
Best: Ronin
Worst: Juanitas (mainly based on expectations)
lethalninja
Have you had the chicken fried steak from Ronin? I heard it's really good (I know someone who had it, and they said it was worth the $25).
michellecan
I have alot of best for sure! Jesse's, Taquero Moocho, The Remnant of Nawlins. The absolute worst is Juanita's.
lethalninja
What's The Remnant of Nawlins?
aggiepaintrain
AG
lethalninja said:

What's The Remnant of Nawlins?
One of the BEST.
FJB
lethalninja
For those of you who are curious what it is (it sounds like something from Lord of the Rings), it's a Cajun and Creole restaurant.
Bunk Moreland
Everyone around here knows what it is other than you.
Bunk Moreland
CFS at Ronin was not great the last time I had it. First time I did it was great.
Bunk Moreland
Circa 2010:

Best: Los Nortenos
Worst: Los Nortenos
Txmoe
AG
I get the love for Ronin's food but their setup leaves a lot to be desired. I'd rather not eat shoulder-to-shoulder with 20 strangers. And the wires that hang down from the ceiling to hold up the tables always get in the way.
trouble
AG
Ask to be seated in the other dining room
MiMi
S
Best Breakfast: Los Nortenos, La Taqueria
Best Lunch: The Grapevine
Best Dinner: Remedies
Best Food Truck: Charliemacs Burger Kitchen

Worst: [Give a reason. -Staff]
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
We ate at Los Cucos by Kroger and the movie theatre the other night. It sucked. Part of it was the help but man - they have definitely fallen off on the across the board since COVID.

Didn't have the best experience at Ronin in terms of the price being paid for the quantity of food. Quality was there obviously and don't get me wrong - I recognize that it's on the higher end of the pay scale. But only getting 2 fingerling potatoes split down the middle with the hanger steak for the $30-whatever - was a bit of a let down.

Next on our list is Marfas.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
TyHolden
AG
Best late food: cheese nachos at Uni/Tex Exxon
Worst late food: 1 hour after eating above
lethalninja
How's Ninfa's (I know it closed down, but I'm curious, since I haven't been)? I heard it wasn't that good.
trouble
AG
The one here was not good.
trouble
AG
Best: Primrose Path

Worst: Willie's. Everything tasted like grease and salt.
maddiedou
AG
I thought I was gonna open this to a convicted restaurant owner who has commited 14 felonies over the last 12 years and plea bargained his way out and is opening a place to eat
trouble
maroon barchetta
lethalninja
That sounds like it could be a Hallmark movie where a guy with a criminal past opens up a restaurant and falls in love with one of his regular customers.
91_Aggie
AG
New worst: we finally went to Gringos. Why is this place packed all the time? Mexican food on par with rosas but at really high price?!?!?
lethalninja
You consider a restaurant the worst in town because it's expensive, even though you like the food?
Txmoe
AG
trouble said:

Best: Primrose Path

Worst: Willie's. Everything tasted like grease and salt.
Hadn't really thought about it but this seems on point. Willie's is deep fried garbage.
BryanPooch
My Ronin's experience that my CFS and everything else on the plate plopped onto the table and had to be scraped away. I was with 3 long time friends and we were in no hurry, so I EMPHASIZED that THEY SHOULD NOT rush a plate just to get it to me. Clearly, they DID RUSH it. It looked nothing like the original and the CFS and potatoes were almost inedible.
BryanPooch
The best thing we ate in BCS was a Tomahawk Ribeye for two that was a special at the old Lemon Wedge in downtown Bryan one einter Sarurday about seven or eight years ago. A very close second was a superb osso bucco that Mrs. Cerone did as a New Year's Eve special at Cenare's on University many years. But only that one day. The Veal Franchese also was ridiculously good at Ferrerie's on Texas just north of 2818 from about 1997 to 1999.

Juanita's was terrible for the price the one time we ate there, last June 14th.

Value is the important thing. We've had $300 meals that were bargains and $10 meals that were too costly. And vice versa. When Eccel Steakhouse was in the Grub Burger location about 15 years ago four of us had steak meals between $45 and $60 apiece that were not as good as Applebee's. But their brunches were very good.

We have a lot of restaurants that should be good but aren't. And some -- like 1860 Italia -- have very good food, but the dark, 30 years out of date decor and eardrum shattering noise level keep us away.
BryanPooch
Hornbeck
Best: Republic / Christopher's
Worst: [Give a reason. -Staff]
australopithecus robustus
As of today, and this is a moving target. Considering g overall experience and value.
Best: 1860
Worst: Republic. Drinks are great, entrees are extremely disappointing
jja79
AG
I don't think he said he liked it.
scd88
AG
I don't understand the Gringo's hype. Juanita's is the most expensive terrible food I've had. We have a Tex-Mex black hole here, which is kind of surprising.

I've always been a big supporter of the Ronin experience, whether it was their full moon dinner at their farm or the restaurant. They survived through Covid and are going gangbusters now. That has led to some below par experiences recently.

It is still one of my favorite places to go, though; probably top of the list for me. But, I hope they can get back to the excellent consistency of the food they had before they got crowded.
Stucco
Best: Christopher's - Expensive but never a gamble.

Worst Food: Everything I come up with already closed

Worst Value: Five guys, Panera
Captain Pablo
AG
lethalninja said:

You consider a restaurant the worst in town because it's expensive, even though you like the food?

Where did he say he liked the food?
AG81
AG
Tastes vary. My opinion......

Legacy best (better than anything current): The Texan.

Current best: Christopher's

Worst: Way too long a list.

Popular restaurants I don't get/not for me: Ronin, Fish Daddy's
91_Aggie
AG
lethalninja said:

Where did I say I liked it... unless you consider Rosas good food?!?
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.