Mold smell

1,221 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AG81
AG81
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We know we have a roof issue that needs to be fixed and that is what's is causing the mold smell. Plenty of roofers out there. What I need is a company to deal with the mold smell. Suggestions?
MyNameIsJeff
AG
I'm not a mold remediation guy, but I'm a homeowner have dealt a little bit with this. I'm assuming traditional stick built home. Here's what I would do:

1. Get your roof issue fixed. If this is causing water intrusion into the house, you've got to get this fixed immediately.

2. Get the area inspected that experienced moisture. Any competent person (including yourself) should be able to visually identify rafters/joists that have mold, mildew, or rot. Anything with rot needs to be replaced. Anything with surface mold or mildew should just be able to be sprayed and wiped down with bleach water.

3. I would think that once the two above items have been completed, the smell should go away pretty quickly. However, if it's that strong in the house, it may be more widespread than just your attic (another assumption that water damage is primarily in your attic). Your home's HVAC should be pretty much sealed off from the attic.

Again, not professional advice, just some thoughts having been in a somewhat similar situation with mold/mildew in our home HVAC system.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
The most extreme case of mold I've heard of recently involved a very nice house with a pier and beam living room extension. The ice maker drained under the floor and created conditions that caused a very aggressive mold to develop. The homeowner awoke to a loud popping noise which was later found out to be his floor joists snapping. The floor had to be completely demo'd, and the area was filled in with select fill and a traditional slab. Luckily, the design allowed for the walls to be left in place while this took place.
aggiepaintrain
AG
I've got a good roofer who will know who to call about the mold
email aggiepaintrain@gmail.com
FJB
rsa
AG
Eric Phillips at Pillar to Post Home Inspectors is a certified mold assessment technician should you need an in-depth review.
AG81
AG
Thanks all. I had no clue who to call!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.