Homebrew-mead?

1,180 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Rearview
studioone
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Looking for someone who home-brews and might want to make 5-10 gallons of mead.. and then split the results..

Ive got 20-25 gallons of honey that I need to do soemthing with.. and I cook a lot with mead...

email darrin at avalonweddingsbcs dot com if you're interested.
rsa
AG
Brewed a batch many, many years ago. A coworker got a gallon & 1/2 of orange blossom honey from the RGV. At the suggestion of the brewer's supply that used to be on Texas Ave, we used champagne yeast. Made 5 gallons of a very lite and sparkly mead

A few lessons learned - heavy wine bottles (we blew the bottoms off of a few bottles); patience - took some extra time for the fermenting process to settle down; be prepared to wait a bit; and be prepared for a higher than usual wine level of alcohol - after a glass or two, Beowulf made a whole lot more sense :-)
Rearview
AG
If you are blowing up bottles, your fermentation isn't complete (or you are trying to make carbonated mead?) and wine bottles are typically NOT meant to hold pressure. Honey ferments slowly, it can take months.

Now that I think about it, I have ~9 lbs of nice honey that I need to use to make another ~2.5 gallon batch of mead soon, myself. While I make beer typically 5 gallons at a time, i only have a 3 gallon carboy in which to make mead currently.

Darrin, if you have everything but the know-how I can see if i have time to help. a glass carboy or two is about all you really need. Well, that and:

* time (mostly to wait)
* a recipe/ingredients (all over the Internet, or go really simple)
* eventually empty wine bottles and
* eventually a corker (which can be borrowed or a cheap one is like $20)
studioone
Rearview said:

If you are blowing up bottles, your fermentation isn't complete (or you are trying to make carbonated mead?) and wine bottles are typically NOT meant to hold pressure. Honey ferments slowly, it can take months.

Now that I think about it, I have ~9 lbs of nice honey that I need to use to make another ~2.5 gallon batch of mead soon, myself. While I make beer typically 5 gallons at a time, i only have a 3 gallon carboy in which to make mead currently.

Darrin, if you have everything but the know-how I can see if i have time to help. a glass carboy or two is about all you really need. Well, that and:

* time (mostly to wait)
* a recipe/ingredients (all over the Internet, or go really simple)
* eventually empty wine bottles and
* eventually a corker (which can be borrowed or a cheap one is like $20)

I just wanna hand someone some honey and pick up some mead at a future time.. I dont have the spare time to do it... I'm busy as a bee... with beekeeping..
Rearview
AG
gotcha. I'll get back to you.
Stmichael
AG
Not a huge fan of mead personally, too much like a wine. I'd be very interested in trying some braggot though if you decide to go that route!
Rearview
AG
I emailed you.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.