Aggieland
Sponsored By

TxDOT work causing backup on SH 6 between Navasota and College Station

4,553 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by doubledog
WolfCall
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We will not be traveling to Navasota anytime soon.

https://www.kbtx.com/2023/01/16/txdot-work-causing-backup-sh-6-between-navasota-college-station/
Quote:

TxDOT work causing backup on SH 6 between Navasota and College Station

Northbound drivers should expect delays for the next couple of weeks and then the work will shift to the southbound lanes.
By Rusty Surette Published: Jan. 16, 2023 at 4:04 PM CST|Updated: 17 hours ago

NAVASOTA, Texas (KBTX) - Traffic northbound on Highway 6 going from Navasota into Brazos County is at a crawl due to maintenance happening at the Navasota River Bridge.


On Monday afternoon, northbound traffic was backed up all the way from the Navasota River Bridge to Highway 105 in Navasota.

TxDOT first said in December that the project should be completed by the end of February. Now it says it could be a four-month project.
You voted for this because you didn't like Mean Tweets?!
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The merging pattern might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen.
ChampsAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Amen to that! Came home Friday night and was just dumbfounded by the way they did that.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Left Houston (cypress) at 340 yesterday and GPS said eta of 502 which is about 15 mins longer than it normally shows. The real time arrival ended up being 523 which was almost 40 mins longer.

Incredibly frustrating. And unfortunately I go often.

To my knowledge there is no way around that right?
EBrazosAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Plantersville to Anderson to Carlos and 30 west to BCS is the other route.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've got to do it tomorrow morning again and i'll be making the drive semi often for the foreseeable future. I think I'm just going to exit business 6 into navasota, take 105 west to 159 and drive in that way.

It's a guaranteed additional 15-20 minutes to the drive but at least it's scenic and I won't be screaming and wanting to go into a road rage rampage for 30+ minutes in that mess.
cypress-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What was frustrating yesterday driving in was seeing cones set up and 3 guys with a concrete saw doing absolutely nothing.
Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

I've got to do it tomorrow morning again and i'll be making the drive semi often for the foreseeable future. I think I'm just going to exit business 6 into navasota, take 105 west to 159 and drive in that way.

It's a guaranteed additional 15-20 minutes to the drive but at least it's scenic and I won't be screaming and wanting to go into a road rage rampage for 30+ minutes in that mess.


You can also take 1227 from HWY 6 North and that will bypass all of Navasota and all lights, timewise quicker to get to 159
MyNameIsJeff
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
WolfCall said:

We will not be traveling to Navasota anytime soon.

https://www.kbtx.com/2023/01/16/txdot-work-causing-backup-sh-6-between-navasota-college-station/

Wellborn/159/105 is a much more relaxing drive that only adds about 10 minutes for us from South CS.
dave99ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Took the 159 detour yesterday knowing the Hwy 6 bridge was a mess. No issues other than being stuck behind a semi for a bit. A few tried their luck going down White Switch, which I bet they've never gone down before.
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

The merging pattern might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen.
yes. need to merge well before BVEH and then use a flag man to let folks in from the ramp from 3090 folks will have to stop , but at least you wont have the stupid games that come with folks trying to race to the front and merge at the last second.
vmiaptetr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EDIT: NVM. Don't take my advice.
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
the folks on Choctaw lane should build a pontoon bridge and charge tolls. They'd make a fortune.
Stupe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
I'm not sure why you would do that.

The traffic snarl is north bound on the south side of the bridge.
vmiaptetr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
NVM.
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Drove by it going south around 3 today and it looked fine. I'm assuming that's due to light traffic. Not going to chance it tomorrow morning on the way back to town
aggiepaintrain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
alternative route to CS is?
FJB
PS3D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
cavscout96 said:

the folks on Choctaw lane should build a pontoon bridge and charge tolls. They'd make a fortune.

And then what? Have everyone stuck on a deteriorating little road that really can't handle traffic moving in opposite directions?


aggiepaintrain said:

alternative route to CS is?

Exit 105 west, turn right on FM 159 after crossing Navasota River, work your way back up to Wellborn Road (or Highway 6, if you go farther)
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PS3D said:

cavscout96 said:

the folks on Choctaw lane should build a pontoon bridge and charge tolls. They'd make a fortune.

And then what? Have everyone stuck on a deteriorating little road that really can't handle traffic moving in opposite directions?


You don't do humor well, do you?
vmiaptetr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey man. I live on that deteriorating road.
Stupe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
vmiaptetr said:

EDIT: NVM. Don't take my advice.
I'm not sure why you are upset or insulted.

I'm really wondering how that route was beneficial to people are traveling north and are south of the river. That's the area that is stacking up.
vmiaptetr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not upset or insulted.

My suggestion was for people heading northbound on 6 to exit 105 in Navasota. Make a left, go thru town, and come out on business 6. Instead of taking the ramp back to 6 (which is currently closed), travel contra flow for a small section and make a left on old Hwy. 6. That'll get you to 2154.

What I meant by my edit was to disregard because I think I shouldn't be suggesting people to travel contraflow, and it really will take an off-road capable vehicle to get past the first 200 ft. or so. I don't want anyone getting brave in their Honda Civic. That's all. My bad if it came off as passive aggressive. Not my intention at all.
PS3D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
vmiaptetr said:

I'm not upset or insulted.

My suggestion was for people heading northbound on 6 to exit 105 in Navasota. Make a left, go thru town, and come out on business 6. Instead of taking the ramp back to 6 (which is currently closed), travel contra flow for a small section and make a left on old Hwy. 6. That'll get you to 2154.

What I meant by my edit was to disregard because I think I shouldn't be suggesting people to travel contraflow, and it really will take an off-road capable vehicle to get past the first 200 ft. or so. I don't want anyone getting brave in their Honda Civic. That's all. My bad if it came off as passive aggressive. Not my intention at all.
For what it's worth, the railroad crossing WAS open until 2006 or so, but it still wouldn't be a lot of help if you're suggesting people to drive through a construction zone.
TyHolden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I will be taking my helicopter to the tine this week....might have to stay overnight for the T-Swift concert.
PS3D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
cavscout96 said:

PS3D said:

cavscout96 said:

the folks on Choctaw lane should build a pontoon bridge and charge tolls. They'd make a fortune.

And then what? Have everyone stuck on a deteriorating little road that really can't handle traffic moving in opposite directions?


You don't do humor well, do you?
I have seen so many awful takes on TexAgs that weren't supposed to be jokes that I can't tell anymore.
KaneIsAble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
[Feel free to give your opinion on this board but be respectful when posting on here. -Staff]
555-PINF
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's typically not terrible (as you said, only a few extra minutes), but yesterday morning was a disaster. Between the fog and the students who waited until yesterday morning to head back, traffic was backed up to Mallett's BBQ at 7:40am.
AG81
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG



Experiences vary. I've been through there 6 times the last 5 days and every time there's a delay. It's ranged from 5 minutes to 20 minutes. My wife came through there yesterday mid day. 30+ minutes.
doubledog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KaneIsAble said:

A bit of hyperbole happening in this thread. I cross the northbound everyday around 4 pm and so far the most amount of time it has added was 4-5 minutes. Maybe it gets worse closer to 5 but yesterday I had to slow down to 55 to allow for merging but that's about it.

Maybe the 6000 miles a month I drive has me jaded to the occasional slow down but jeez there are some hurt feelings on here.
Students returning on Monday afternoon caused a traffic jam at the bridge. Not an everyday thing.
Will be bad this Sunday afternoon/evening (for the same reasons)

cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
159 was a breeze this AM before 7AM
ChampsAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You have not been able to turn onto Old Hwy 6 from Hwy 6 in years. Might as well suggest 159 to White Switch road, as long as it's not raining.

As stated above, the options are turn right in Plantersville off 105 onto 1774 and come through Anderson to Hwy 30 or go FM 159 and go through Millican.

We were at a basketball tournament this weekend and came back 249 to 1774 Thursday and Saturday. Friday I tried Hwy 6 around 6:30 and it took approximately 15 minutes extra.

For those that take FM 159 and haven't traveled it before, it is lots of curves, especially around Allen Farm. Drive carefully. Too many accidents have happened on that road.
aggiepaintrain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
what about coming back on Highway 6 from Hempstead what's the route ?
FJB
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I had google maps live updating this morning and decided to risk it. It said 7 minute delay as I was getting into Navasota. I think it ended up being 7-9 minutes.

If google will stay reliable with delay times I'll just check as I get close to Navasota and adjust as needed.
LJF78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bunk Moreland said:

I had google maps live updating this morning and decided to risk it. It said 7 minute delay as I was getting into Navasota. I think it ended up being 7-9 minutes.

If google will stay reliable with delay times I'll just check as I get close to Navasota and adjust as needed.


What time was that?
Around 7:30 during the week and it's pretty backed up
LJF78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ChampsAg said:



For those that take FM 159 and haven't traveled it before, it is lots of curves, especially around Allen Farm. Drive carefully. Too many accidents have happened on that road.


Pretty much all FM roads are dangerous nowadays.
So many people don't know how to drive , everyone on their phones.

Two fatality wrecks on 90 near Anderson last week.
Page 1 of 2
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.