Italian Restaurant

5,881 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by EBrazosAg
Prosper92Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just moved back here and looking for a good mom & pop Italian place. I heard Fratelli's (sp?) was good, so sad to hear it closed. Thanks for the help!
MyNameIsJeff
AG
I think Amico Nave is hugely underrated.
BulldAg99
AG
1860 Italia
tb9665
Luigi's
TimsParents
S
We lived in Italy and can vouch for Amico Nave!!!
Gig'Em & God Bless
histag10
AG
We really like Luigis and Amico Nave
bushytailed
AG
Caffe Capri or Amico Nave
Birddog
AG
Caffe Capri
Brian Alg
I haven't been going to Amico Nave enough so I always get the same things that I know are great (shrimp diablo or veal oscar and always the tiramisu).

What are other things to make sure to try if I start going there more?
KCup17
AG
Another vote for Luigi's.
histag10
AG
Speaking of italian...

Anyone know when Casa Mangiare will open? I thought they used to have a website up, but now their website is down and their Facebook seems to be gone (or I can't find it)
RafterAg223
AG
histag10 said:

Speaking of italian...

Anyone know when Casa Mangiare will open? I thought they used to have a website up, but now their website is down and their Facebook seems to be gone (or I can't find it)
They are targeting the middle of February. The biggest holdup right now is nailing down when the restaurant furniture will come in.
AggieHandymanBlake
AG
Amico Nave and 1860 Italia. Highly recommend both, and both are locally owned. Great food and service. We had our employee Christmas party at 1860 and they did family style 4-course dinner so we got to try a lot of different things, it all was fantastic.
FlyRod
Love love love Amico Nave. Not strictly "Italian" but "Italian-ish," but who cares. The atmosphere is great, from the bar to the dining area. Love the "something for everyone" menu, which is to say, not just pasta. Wish their wine list were better but it's good enough. They can make you a real nice negroni at the bar. And Mary and Wade are living treasures in BCS.
AG81
AG
My only complaint about 1860 Italia is the noise. Great food. Don't expect to carry on a conversation with your dinner companions.
lawless89
You must be old. We've got no problem hearing each other.
AG81
AG
lawless89 said:

You must be old. We've got no problem hearing each other.

My hearing is fine thank you. No need for you to be an ass. Anyone doubting my assessment need only look at the reviews on line. Almost every other one mentions how loud it is.
maroon barchetta
It's loud.
retiredintx
AG
Its loud. Solution is to get an table in the "private room" … when there's no event scheduled.
new straw
I'm 42 and it's so loud I won't go back despite their delicious food.
Tailgate88
AG
It is stupid loud in the dining room. Wife and I have sat at the far end of the bar a couple times and it is tolerable but the atmosphere would be hugely improved if they could address the noise in there.
MiMi
S
Yes, if's very loud. We always go in the late afternoon when the dining room is nearly empty. It's the only way to have a conversation and be heard, I've picked up to-go orders a couple of times during peak dining, and it's ridiculous how loud it is.
australopithecus robustus
For me the atmosphere lends to a big city feel, which clearly this town is not; as well as much of the demographic here. Seems like many who are here in this town are seeking quiet, but the demos here are changing slowly.

I like 1860 a lot. There are other places that satisfy the "quiet dinner" patron. There's a time for that.

I think it's all about practical expectations.
MS08
AG
Wife went to 1860 around when it first opened. She didn't find the ambience too inviting, and, then, loud, very loud, so there's that, too. We are in 30s. It's hard for me to get her to go with me now as a result, lol. Would love to try the food
MsDoubleD81
AG
It's loud.
aggiepaintrain
AG
It's almost as loud as that restaurant at the airport and the food is meh.

Luigi's is good.
FJB
75AG
AG
The airport restaurant is the loudest restaurant I have even been in. And that includes traveling the world for over 40 years. It is ridiculous.
Txmoe
AG
australopithecus robustus said:

For me the atmosphere lends to a big city feel, which clearly this town is not; as well as much of the demographic here. Seems like many who are here in this town are seeking quiet, but the demos here are changing slowly.

I like 1860 a lot. There are other places that satisfy the "quiet dinner" patron. There's a time for that.

I think it's all about practical expectations.
Gollleee! I can't wait til I can save up enough money to buy me some shoes so that I can eat at them big city restaurants. Houston and Austin are so dang far to go on my horse and buggy. I guess I'll just have to live vicariously through you world travelers who have been to places my mind can't even imagine, like maybe Beaumont or Midland.
trouble
AG
I've eaten plenty of big city meals and can't think of anywhere I've eaten that the atmosphere was noisy AF.
australopithecus robustus
Lol oh my.
Tailgate88
AG
75AG said:

The airport restaurant is the loudest restaurant I have even been in. And that includes traveling the world for over 40 years. It is ridiculous.

I assume we are talking about Gate 12, and having been there multiple times before and as recently as last Friday, it was nowhere near as loud as Italia.
75AG
AG
I haven't measured the decibel levels; although, sitting in the room with the glass wall facing the runway is damn loud.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Isn't it next to Astin Aviation?
75AG
AG
It's the old Easterwood terminal building.
Mathguy64
AG
Blows my mind that y'all find a restaurant with a glass wall facing an active taxi area and parking area for an airport to be loud.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.