Yard eggs in south CS/Wellborn area?

3,485 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by oklaunion
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd like to buy farm fresh eggs from an individual in the Wellborn area.

Thanks!
AggiePhil
AG
What are the legalities of this? I've thought about buying eggs as well, but am curious if it's allowed.
cavscout96
AG
.Go to any farmers market. Almost guarant you'll find someone selling eggs

I haven't checked the regs lately, but IIRC, they aren't allowed to "grade" them.

There may be some time and temp rules, but not sure and don't know how they are enforced.
cavscout96
AG
From DSH for farmers marjets

Can I sell yard eggs at a farmers' market?
Yes. To sell farm eggs at a farmers' market the following is required:

You must have a temporary food establishment license; and

Eggs must be maintained at an ambient air temperature of 45F and below; and

Eggs must be properly labeled as "ungraded" with safe handling instructions.

------

Now if you just want to go down to Joe's farm and buy some eggs.....
BrazosDog02
AG
We sell on next door all the time. Legalities? They give us money. We give them eggs. It's pretty easy. We strive for Karen or Todd free transactions.

Check your local nextdoor.

It's a ****ing egg, man, let's not overthink it.
Animal Eight 84
AG
I routinely buy yard eggs with zero concerns.

My Czech grandma sold eggs, she had about 50 white leghorns.
I used to spend a lot of time with her & my grandpa. Learned a lot of how-to that I wish I remembered.

Once she let me gather the eggs by myself. Once.

I had been watching a couple of broody hens that hid clutches of eggs under her fig trees. A little boy with plenty of time to observe chickens.

That morning I brought in a lot more eggs than she expected and was really proud. I cleaned up on the broody hens' nests.

Her and grandpa called me some Czech words as they cracked every egg that morning sorting out the rotten ones from the good ones.
Cola8d8
Let me know if you don't find what you are looking for. Username at yahoo
.com
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I was in Mason this weekend, and a dozen and a half eggs cost $11. Chickens looking real attractive right now.
cavscout96
AG
yard eggs are always expensive by comparison, but they are WAAAAAAY better than what you get in the box stores. It's the economies of scale. Small producers have to turn a profit and don't have millions of chickens to reduce their unit cost of production

eggs from retail places are about 90 days old. Yard eggs are usually days old. The taste way better and my wife loves them for baking.
cavscout96
AG
raising chickens on your place should be pretty easy though!
007ag
AG
cavscout96 said:

yard eggs are always expensive by comparison, but they are WAAAAAAY better than what you get in the box stores. It's the economies of scale. Small producers have to turn a profit and don't have millions of chickens to reduce their unit cost of production

eggs from retail places are about 90 days old. Yard eggs are usually days old. The taste way better and my wife loves them for baking.

90 days old? Most have a 45 or 30 day sell by date. Store bought eggs have more quality specifications than anyone will ever realize.
justcallmeharry
S
Try the shack outside La Grange.
If you think I am a liberal, you are incorrect. Assume sarcasm on my part. Sorry if something I post has already been posted.
BrazosDog02
AG
cavscout96 said:

I don't think they are that old. You do have to refrigerate them because of all these "quality specifications". My eggs sit in a basket on the counter until we use them. Store eggs have to be treated this way because people aren't usually smart enough the handle them safely, so we go through this "quality" routine where we wash all the protective cuticle off the eggs, kill all the bacteria and render it "safe". It's so safe that we now are forced to refrigerate it to prevent quick spoilage. Most of the world does it the other way where they leave the egg as laid and sell it without refrigeration. This is how I personally do our eggs. They sit on the counter until we use them. Never had a problem and neither did your grandparents and great grandparents all the way back to the first settlers when they didn't have a fancy Kenmore Elite sitting in the kitchen.
Hornbeck
I think I paid $4 for 18 grade As at H-E-B this week. That may be up $1.50, but I'm not running a bakery or a bed and breakfast.
cavscout96
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

cavscout96 said:

I don't think they are that old. You do have to refrigerate them because of all these "quality specifications". My eggs sit in a basket on the counter until we use them. Store eggs have to be treated this way because people aren't usually smart enough the handle them safely, so we go through this "quality" routine where we wash all the protective cuticle off the eggs, kill all the bacteria and render it "safe". It's so safe that we now are forced to refrigerate it to prevent quick spoilage. Most of the world does it the other way where they leave the egg as laid and sell it without refrigeration. This is how I personally do our eggs. They sit on the counter until we use them. Never had a problem and neither did your grandparents and great grandparents all the way back to the first settlers when they didn't have a fancy Kenmore Elite sitting in the kitchen.

This is the way we roll too.
cavscout96
AG
007ag said:

cavscout96 said:

90 days old? Most have a 45 or 30 day sell by date. Store bought eggs have more quality specifications than anyone will ever realize.

I was off...

Producers have up to 30 days to put them in a carton and they must be sold within 30 days of being placed in the carton. Then they sit in your refrigerator for ?

So, potentially 60-75 days from the day they are laid until used.

My eat a ton of eggs and my wife and daughters all bake.

An egg would be lucky to last a week in my house.

As to "quality specifications," I've never found them particularly useful.
wareagle044
My ducks spend more time at the neighbors pond then their coup lately so eggs have been scarce here lately
Rex Racer
AG
There used to be someone that sold yard eggs right across the street from the entrance to River Place on Koppe Bridge Road. Not sure if they still do.
MS08
AG
Bumping this for my own self. Interested in trying to find farm fresh eggs around here.
Mom2Kidz
AG
FamousAgg
Hornbeck said:

I think I paid $4 for 18 grade As at H-E-B this week. That may be up $1.50, but I'm not running a bakery or a bed and breakfast.

I was at HEB Sunday and the egg section was full and I didn't see any crazy prices
oklaunion
America's Country Store put up their chick display recently. Maybe some will begin their flocks soon.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.