Brazos county Amazon shipping

14,077 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by El_duderino
Bob2525
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any explanation for the Amazon shipping delays? KBTX covered 10 days ago, but just ordered a Kindle case and it will be here in a week. Figured after Christmas things would get back to normal 2 day-ish shipping. I know that outside Brazos county, Amazon shipping is normal delivery times.
Hornbeck
Bob2525 said:

Any explanation for the Amazon shipping delays? KBTX covered 10 days ago, but just ordered a Kindle case and it will be here in a week. Figured after Christmas things would get back to normal 2 day-ish shipping. I know that outside Brazos county, Amazon shipping is normal delivery times.

USPS here is Turrible. End of story.
LOYAL AG
AG
Happened a couple of years ago and it was explained as a significant backlog at the CS Post Office that resulted in them refusing packages for a few days which caused a backlog and the ripple effect of that backlog. Took a bit of time for them to get back on track.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
Tailgate88
AG
https://texags.com/forums/35/topics/3350956
textar4404
LOYAL AG said:

Happened a couple of years ago and it was explained as a significant backlog at the CS Post Office that resulted in them refusing packages for a few days which caused a backlog and the ripple effect of that backlog. Took a bit of time for them to get back on track.

I remember there was a workaround for that back then. You could use your address and a different zip code and it resulted in two day shipping. Eventually the USPS caught on and shut that down.
threecatcorner
I'm guessing it's related to there not being a local sorting facility. I don't remember when they got rid of it, but there used to be a USPS sorting facility in Bryan, and now all of our mail (even local) has to go to Houston to get sorted. Seems like that would add a day, not as many as they've added.

I think there was also something with some reorganization of the post office where they decided to not allow overtime anymore, and it was mentioned that the College Station post office routinely had their staffing such that there was definitely overtime, leaving us with not enough post office staff.

The main problem though is that they have it set up to have the post office do the final delivery and they've apparently told Amazon to not bring them stuff because they don't want it stacking up at all. It's super obvious if you look at the tracking. They wait and wait to even ship an item so it's not really how long it takes to deliver; they just won't even start until it's almost a week.

I think it's only Amazon that's obeying the request to not deliver stuff to the post office though. Plenty of other places that also have the shipping where UPS or FedEx does most of it and the post office does the final delivery are faster, and if whatever they tell you the speed is isn't fast enough, they have an option to expedite shipping. We don't even have that with Amazon because Prime supposedly is the fast option.
Stucco
USPS isn't the one selling 2-day delivery for $129/yr. Amazon has multiple other delivery options including UPS, FedEX and Flex. They are choosing to send USPS despite the known up-front delay.

Edit, sorry it's $139/yr now.
Tailgate88
AG
Stucco said:

USPS isn't the one selling 2-day delivery for $129/yr. Amazon has multiple other delivery options including UPS, FedEX and Flex. They are choosing to send USPS despite the known up-front delay.

Edit, sorry it's $139/yr now.

It's mentioned earlier in this thread that somehow having the Amazon Prime trucks deliver here doesn't work moneywise. I am surprised by that. Would think it would be a good opportunity for someone. Is it a franchise deal or owner-operator like I think FedEx ground is?
FlyRod
With Amazon set to layoff 18,000 employees I can't imagine much improvement on the delivery front. Watch for changes in the "expected delivery dates" when you order.
Brazos1865
AG
It doesn't look to me like this is a shipper problem, but a shipping problem. We have three orders from last Wednesday and Thursday, none of which have shipped from Amazon. All of the orders are show to arrive this coming Wednesday. So, Amazon is holding orders for 3-4 days before they leave. Amazon Prime is looking rather useless.
rptsAg03
Prime has us hooked with benefits like prime tv and kindle and the whole initial benefit of fast shipping is a complete waste. It's time to assess if the tv benefits and such are worth it. It's crazy to think we're some sort of special area getting drone service or whatever, but can't get our packages- paying 139 a year.
El_duderino
Prime is no longer 2 day shipping. It just says free shipping and returns now. It's at least a week for delivery date on orders
UmustBKidding
Usps does not warehouse, their agreement with Amazon allows them to throttle shipping to a level that they can deliver it the day it arrives in the local usps distribution hub. So yes Amazon holds shipments until usps is ready to receive. If usps is not ready they tell Amazon take it back until we tell you.
A Net Full of Jello
AG
Hornbeck said:

Bob2525 said:

I wish Amazon had a "do not ship USPS' option. I'd pay more money to know I would actually get my stuff undamaged and in an acceptable amount of time. As is, I choose shipping and sometimes it arrives UPS and FedEx. Other times, I get notified it has been transfered to USPS for final delivery which means it will take it longer to get from the post office to my house than it did to get it from Atlanta to College Station.
Brazos1865
AG
Yes, I understand USPS which is atrocious, but most of our packages are delivered via FedEx or UPS. I'll note how these are delivered.

I don't see us renewing our Prime subscription.
mtec
I cancelled Amazon Prime last week. I was tired of dealing with it. I'm in the 77801 zip code and I have not had two-day shipping for about two years now. Every shipping estimate has 4-5 days out. Two weeks ago, everything was showing a delivery estimate of 7 days. If I send something to someone in a different zip code via my Amazon account, delivery estimate is the next day, sometimes the same day.

I've just been utilizing curbside around town more often, or I will wait until I need to make a purchase over $35 for Amazon free shipping.
Tailgate88
AG
Brazos1865 said:

It doesn't look to me like this is a shipper problem, but a shipping problem. We have three orders from last Wednesday and Thursday, none of which have shipped from Amazon. All of the orders are show to arrive this coming Wednesday. So, Amazon is holding orders for 3-4 days before they leave. Amazon Prime is looking rather useless.
It's a USPS local problem, not an Amazon issue. If I go enter an order for my CS address, it will show six days out. If I change the delivery address to my daughter's in Houston, it changes it to next day delivery.
jeremyd
AG
No, it's not a USPS problem. It's an Amazon problem. I placed an order on Monday. Amazon finally shipped my order Friday. It was delivered yesterday. You can't blame USPS for not delivering something that Amazon didn't ship. Anything you order from Amazon is transported by Amazon. USPS doesn't touch your Amazon package until it arrives at the CS post office. Oh, and it's not just happening in BCS. Amazon is throttling customers in other areas as well.
UmustBKidding
yes they are. Amazon throttles lots of places, but its at the request (per their contract) of USPS. USPS tells Amazon what they are allowed to deliver to a given USPS distribution center on a given day.
jeremyd
AG
Ok, so what about UPS? Sometimes my Amazon packages are delivered by UPS. Those are delayed also and taking 6-10 days for delivery. I just checked my past orders. I placed an order December 15th that was delivered December 22nd by UPS. It's easy to blame the postal service but this is clearly Amazon's issue.
Tailgate88
AG
Same item. All I did was update the billing address.

Regarding your item delivered on December 22nd, it's likely that Amazon switched the delivery to UPS to get it there in time for Christmas since the USPS was likely not going to be able to deliver it in time. One delivery does not a pattern make.

txyaloo
AG
A Net Full of Jello said:

Hornbeck said:

Bob2525 said:

I wish Amazon had a "do not ship USPS' option. I'd pay more money to know I would actually get my stuff undamaged and in an acceptable amount of time. As is, I choose shipping and sometimes it arrives UPS and FedEx. Other times, I get notified it has been transfered to USPS for final delivery which means it will take it longer to get from the post office to my house than it did to get it from Atlanta to College Station.
They do. Contact customer service and ask them to deprioritize USPS. I had to do it for a while when USPS refused to deliver to my physical address. It worked but caused packages to be delivered even later though. Amazon just sat on Fedex and UPS deliveries for extra days.

I have a better test than folks using CS and Houston. I have two houses about a minute drive through the pasture from each other but they're served by two different post offices. Quite frequently one house will show delivery a week out and the other shows delivery in 1-2 days. All orders are coming from the same Amazon distribution centers. I can only attribute it to the post office's ability to accept amazon packages
befitter
I have an item that I ordered a few days ago that shows delivery by 10pm tomorrow and Amazon is showing that it hasn't shipped yet. We will see.
woodiewood1
befitter said:

I have an item that I ordered a few days ago that shows delivery by 10pm tomorrow and Amazon is showing that it hasn't shipped yet. We will see.
I had three amazon items for Christmas presents that were scheduled to be delivered more than a week before Christmas and I got emails of the changes in delivery date for after Christmas. I was able to cancel one but had to take delivery and take them to Kohls and get it returned.

I guess the plan would be to order for delivery before Thanksgiving.

befitter
woodiewood1 said:

befitter said:

I had three amazon items for Christmas presents that were scheduled to be delivered more than a week before Christmas and I got emails of the changes in delivery date for after Christmas. I was able to cancel one but had to take delivery and take them to Kohls and get it returned.

I guess the plan would be to order for delivery before Thanksgiving.

Interestingly enough, not long after posting this I got an email that it had shipped.
Brazos1865
AG
In my case, Amazon is the problem. The three items I mentioned above sat at Amazon since last Wednesday and Thursday. The items shipped yesterday and are delivering via UPS, not USPS, today. In my case USPS is not the issue, though I have plenty other issues with USPS.
El_duderino
Any updates or improvements for anyone? I lucked out and had normal 2 day shipping, but noticed it was just a brief window before reverting back to a 1 week delivery date. Amazon rep on kbtx article says it's due to proximity to a fulfillment center, but we're only 70 minutes from the closest one in Houston and not much further to Austin ones. So that argument holds no weight.
PS3D
There's definitely something with the local delivery. I had my Amazon account set to home (College Station) during the holidays and it was showing like 5 days for Prime delivery. I switched the address to where I live now and the delivery magically changes to 2.
El_duderino
I think it's Amazon. Our packages are delivered through ups exclusively and we still have issues. Have had the same experience as above posters where it'll just "prepare for shipment" at amazon for a few days, and then it's either 1-2 day shipping like normal once it actually ships
montegobay
I ordered something this morning, and it was set to deliver on Saturday the 28th. Really? I cancelled it. If this continues, I will just cancel my Prime membership. Right now, I am typically getting a week delivery times. Now two weeks?
Tailgate88
AG
montegobay said:

I ordered something this morning, and it was set to deliver on Saturday the 28th. Really? I cancelled it. If this continues, I will just cancel my Prime membership. Right now, I am typically getting a week delivery times. Now two weeks?
Same here. I ordered some stuff on FRIDAY and it said they would be delivered next SATURDAY. Eight days. But I can go in right now and enter a new order for the same items with either my sister or daughter's address in Houston. Both show ONE DAY delivery tomorrow, or for an extra $2.99 they'll deliver it today between 2-6pm. So < 8 hour delivery.

This is NOT a problem with items not being in the distribution centers. It's a problem with the USPS telling them not to ship the items. They are obviously backlogged a week and it seems like they are getting more behind all the time, rather than catching up after Christmas as one would expect.

Our membership renews in May, there is no way we are going to renew if they don't fix this.
baldandbeautiful
I started a "chat" with an amazon rep about this two days ago. I heard all the same things about not being close to a distribution center....yada yada yada. I mentioned that I would be revisiting renewing my prime subscription when it comes due and they offered me "one month refund on my subscription" which ended up coming to $16.55. Give it a shot, if enough of us do this, maybe they'll try to make some changes??
threecatcorner
They seem so have made a slight change since KBTX's most recent story. Last night, everything was showing one week for Amazon delivery to a College Station address, and this afternoon, everything was saying delivery this Sunday (a few days shorter, although still longer than what Amazon Prime is supposed to be).
El_duderino
Mine still shows the 24th as delivery, so sticking with the 1 week away theme
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
El_duderino said:

Mine still shows the 24th as delivery, so sticking with the 1 week away theme

I ordered a simple white board - 2x3ft. Shows no delivery until the 27th. But if I order the 3x4ft - it shows delivery by Sunday. Same brand (Amazon Basics)
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.