Why is housing so high in BCS vs Houston/Austin

5,247 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Hornbeck
cypress-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been over on the Aggieland board in the past few months. Wife and I are looking for houses/land etc. I'm living in a small apartment until we can find an area that we like and commute back to Cypress on the weekends.

Most builders are telling us $256 per sqft and that includes the lot. Lot prices themself are crazy with 1/3 acre lots to 1/2 acre lots at 200K plus. Over in Bryan the price is around $225 per sqft. Resale housing for anything in the last 4 years is about $216. Is it just a shortage in homes that causes this? I've had agents tell me the BCS never bottoms out like Houston/Austin and don't expect a drop. Bridgeland area is about $209 to $229.

I'm guessing trades may be harder to come buy but suppliers shouldn't be an issue. A market bears what a market bears.

meinkee
It is true that BCS has had a remarkable run it the real estate and home building markets. But those who say we never bottom out must have been playing in their sand boxes in 1882-83 when banks were failing and real estate languished. Interest rates were horrible and foreclosures were rampant. We had a small hiccup in the 90's, too. And we are still saying who are these people, where are they coming from, who is paying the salaries that allow purchase of half million dollar homes after their 300k starter. I can't help but hope it goes on forever! That said, I have never forgotten having a house on the market for 2 years. I wish you success in finding a perfect affordable home around here, but you may have to go smaller or commute from Calvert or Bremond. Brenham is unaffordable, too!
EliteElectric
meinkee said:

It is true that BCS has had a remarkable run it the real estate and home building markets. But those who say we never bottom out must have been playing in their sand boxes in 1882-83 when banks were failing and real estate languished. Interest rates were horrible and foreclosures were rampant. We had a small hiccup in the 90's, too. And we are still saying who are these people, where are they coming from, who is paying the salaries that allow purchase of half million dollar homes after their 300k starter. I can't help but hope it goes on forever! That said, I have never forgotten having a house on the market for 2 years. I wish you success in finding a perfect affordable home around here, but you may have to go smaller or commute from Calvert or Bremond. Brenham is unaffordable, too!

I know I know it's a typo, just being silly
cypress-ag
AG
That house is in the Historic District I believe and is selling for 1.9 M !
EliteElectric
cypress-ag said:

well c'mon it is almost 800sqft!
cypress-ag
AG
It's bigger than my apartment that I pay more for than my house back in Cypress. 660 sqft 1 bedroom is $1188. No, I don't deal with students so I have that going for me.
Vinewood_03
Demand > Supply.
txgardengirl
Vinewood is correct. Even during the 2008 housing crisis, BCS faired better than most and if you look historically, appreciation has a slight gain or major gain every single year. We also don't tend to build a ton of two stories like Bridgewood.
crbongos
AG
Your question is way to vague. What kind of house are you looking for? First time buyer, move up, estate home? Your question is like saying restaurants here are too expensive. Are you talking Subway or Christopher's??? For what it's worth the average new home asking price in BCS is $197 p/sf. Prices in general range from $170-$260 p/sf. In MLS new homes only right now there are 381 homes for sale. Only 34 of them are $257 or above p/Sf.
CRBongo
happyinBCS
I agree, they need to respond to your question to move forward
JP76
That is because Texas has generally had lower appreciation than the rest of the US. In 2004-2007 BCS did not see the double digit appreciation rates like other places did. This time Texas and BCS did see 30-40% appreciation in 2 years and the appraisal district had a feast. The last time I saw housing appreciate like this in BCS was 1979-1981 with the oil drilling boom which brought a lot of people from Cali to Texas. Also due to student rental demand the market always has buyers interested that help keep it stabilized.
JP76
You would be surprised but supply chain issues are still very relevant in the construction industry right now through many different areas.
agnerd
AG
I'm not as familiar with Austin, but I can opine on Houston.

1. Most of the new homes for sale in Houston are in MUDs with much higher taxes than cities that pay for roads and pipes. You pay back some of the difference over time. Actual cities like College Station have more rules, regulations, inspections, permits, and fees that get passed on to the buyer.

2. A lot more illegal labor is available in Houston than CS, so labor is generally cheaper.

3. Economies of scale. There are 500-acre developments all over Houston. You save money by only having one geotechnical report and one drainage report and one title policy and one survey for 500-acres than for 50-acres.

3.5 Gigantic homebuilders in Houston also have crews and trades that are going non-stop. Install plumbing in one house, then move to the one next door and the across the street, and then the 20 others after that. Trades will work for less/hour if you keep them constantly working instead of work a week, then wait around for the next house to be ready for you.

4. Big cities get things done faster, which means less interest the developer is paying on his loan. Hard to keep engineers employed when Houston will pay 20% more and your house costs 20% less. Similar concept to the trades.

5. Specilization - There are 20+ companies that do nothing but new subdivisions and build houses and are very efficient at generating plans and reports. Our lawyers do real estate, and estate planning, and corporate law. Our engineers do new subdivisions and city work and county work and rehab work. Our trades work on new houses, and home renovations, and commercial properties. Easier and cheaper to churn out 30 subdivision sections a year than a sidewalk project, a roadway rehab project, 2 subdivision sections, and a water tower rehabilitation project.
cypress-ag
AG
crbongos said:

Your question is way to vague. What kind of house are you looking for? First time buyer, move up, estate home? Your question is like saying restaurants here are too expensive. Are you talking Subway or Christopher's??? For what it's worth the average new home asking price in BCS is $197 p/sf. Prices in general range from $170-$260 p/sf. In MLS new homes only right now there are 381 homes for sale. Only 34 of them are $257 or above p/Sf.
My goal is not to stir the pot but to understand what drives the market. The $197 you are showing reflects all the starter build homes that are stacked on top of each other. I see the stacked on model in some of the nicer areas as well. A 2500 soft home with a nice patio squeezed onto a tiny lot. And there may be a need for those.

That range you mention is way higher than the larger metro areas. I'm fine and I think the poster below your comment hits a good number of topics make sense. Lack of large developments to share workers and equipment and a smaller trade force probably play into it. Lot prices just seem way out of line. And it seems like developers are squeezing as many homes on the acreage they have to maximize their profit.
cypress-ag
AG
JP76 said:

You would be surprised but supply chain issues are still very relevant in the construction industry right now through many different areas.
Sure, most builders we've talked with are saying it's less of an issue each month. Real estate always seemed high in BCS for a long time. It's the price of living in paradise I guess !
cypress-ag
AG
agnerd said:

I'm not as familiar with Austin, but I can opine on Houston.

1. Most of the new homes for sale in Houston are in MUDs with much higher taxes than cities that pay for roads and pipes. You pay back some of the difference over time. Actual cities like College Station have more rules, regulations, inspections, permits, and fees that get passed on to the buyer.

2. A lot more illegal labor is available in Houston than CS, so labor is generally cheaper.

3. Economies of scale. There are 500-acre developments all over Houston. You save money by only having one geotechnical report and one drainage report and one title policy and one survey for 500-acres than for 50-acres.

3.5 Gigantic homebuilders in Houston also have crews and trades that are going non-stop. Install plumbing in one house, then move to the one next door and the across the street, and then the 20 others after that. Trades will work for less/hour if you keep them constantly working instead of work a week, then wait around for the next house to be ready for you.

4. Big cities get things done faster, which means less interest the developer is paying on his loan. Hard to keep engineers employed when Houston will pay 20% more and your house costs 20% less. Similar concept to the trades.

5. Specilization - There are 20+ companies that do nothing but new subdivisions and build houses and are very efficient at generating plans and reports. Our lawyers do real estate, and estate planning, and corporate law. Our engineers do new subdivisions and city work and county work and rehab work. Our trades work on new houses, and home renovations, and commercial properties. Easier and cheaper to churn out 30 subdivision sections a year than a sidewalk project, a roadway rehab project, 2 subdivision sections, and a water tower rehabilitation project.
All very good points. Thanks for the reply.
aggiepaintrain
AG
How big of a lot do you get for $256 sq ft?
4 sides of brick ?

BQ_90
AG
The bottom end is artificially high from new graduates/student housing, thus bumping up all the housing above it. Then you add in the demand from retirees moving to BCS
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
I'm still a bit confused on how everyone can afford those new houses going for $600K or more. Then add a couple of nicer newer cars and Trucks like Audis or Platinum F150s.

The best answer I can determine is the local economy in addition to the money vortex that is A&M, also has lots of small business owners and other similar self employed folks. I feel like there's quite a few WFH or others who sparingly commute to Houston as needed. Plus having two people in the household working also helps if both are making $70K+, you could see it.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Vinewood_03
Also, I'd be willing to bet more than 2/3rds of buyers in the last 2yrs either moved here from out of state or moved here to retire. In both instances each had the cash to put down a substantial down payment and low rates greatly mitigated the rise in material costs. Some just flat out paid all cash. You'd also be surprised how much loan you could qualify for - especially when a 30yr fixed was 2.65%
angus55
Red Pear BCS Luke said:

I'm still a bit confused on how everyone can afford those new houses going for $600K or more. Then add a couple of nicer newer cars and Trucks like Audis or Platinum F150s.

The best answer I can determine is the local economy in addition to the money vortex that is A&M, also has lots of small business owners and other similar self employed folks. I feel like there's quite a few WFH or others who sparingly commute to Houston as needed. Plus having two people in the household working also helps if both are making $70K+, you could see it.

Straight cash homie is how I pay for mine. Except we all rollin' in bow ties.
We'll win this war, but we'll win it only by fighting and by showing the Germans that we've got more guts than they have, or ever will have. We're not going to just shoot the sons-of-b******, were going to rip out their living G*******d guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We're going to murder those lousy Hun c********** by the bushel-f****** basket. War is a bloody killing business. You've got to spill their blood or they will spill yours. Rip them up the belly. Shot them in the guts.
agmom95
AG
We moved here after Covid. We are in our late 40's/early 50's and are not retired. My husband works for a tech company, but works mainly remotely. We sold our cookie cutter home in Austin that we bought around 2001. We paid 300,000 for it. We sold it for close to 1 million last year and were able to move here and buy a nice, custom home. Most people in our area are either retired from Houston or in a similar situation to us.
woodiewood1
cypress-ag said:

The highest MLS listed house in the Historical Area is listed at $1,599,000 and it is a new build 3,400 SF home.

The highest MLS sale in the past calendar year was $1,200,000.

There could have been private non-listed sales higher.

Hysterical Area homes are great investments. I know of one owner who purchased a home ten years ago there and it has gone up in market value 300% since.

EliteElectric
agnerd said:

• Illegal labor is available everywhere, none of us (or at the very least very few of us) are willing to risk our licenses and careers for a few bucks

• All construction crews are going "non stop", in my 30 years of doing this I have never seen a scenario where people will work for less for "non stop" work.

• Residential structures in HTX tend to also be built 20% cheaper lol, look at all of the buckled siding up and down every road in HTX, there are way more "corner cutting" techniques in HTX then there are here

agnerd
AG
You're right. Plumbing was the wrong trade to mention (along with electrical). Trades that are licensed is not where you save the money with illegal labor. Framing, masonry, and concrete is where you save.
cypress-ag
AG
EliteElectric said:

agnerd said:

• Illegal labor is available everywhere, none of us (or at the very least very few of us) are willing to risk our licenses and careers for a few bucks

• All construction crews are going "non stop", in my 30 years of doing this I have never seen a scenario where people will work for less for "non stop" work.

• Residential structures in HTX tend to also be built 20% cheaper lol, look at all of the buckled siding up and down every road in HTX, there are way more "corner cutting" techniques in HTX then there are here

Residential structures in HTX tend to also be built 20% cheaper lol, look at all of the buckled siding up and down every road in HTX, there are way more "corner cutting" techniques in HTX then there are here

The siding issue is true in some of the starter homes you see along the highways. In Coles Crossing, Rock Creek, Longwood you don't see that. But I would say the quality of homes in BCS seem a lot better from what I've experienced in NW Houston/Tomball area.
EliteElectric
cypress-ag said:

EliteElectric said:

agnerd said:

Residential structures in HTX tend to also be built 20% cheaper lol, look at all of the buckled siding up and down every road in HTX, there are way more "corner cutting" techniques in HTX then there are here

The siding issue is true in some of the starter homes you see along the highways. In Coles Crossing, Rock Creek, Longwood you don't see that. But I would say the quality of homes in BCS seem a lot better from what I've experienced in NW Houston/Tomball area.

Also a lot of inferior concrete work in HTX. Could be the clay substrate, could be the plants, could be labor could be all three, but as a rule HTX isn't a hotbed of quality.
Tookieclothespin
AG
Red Pear BCS Luke said:

LOL 140K+ a year is not anything anymore, it's so depressing.
FJB
doubledog
meinkee said:

Brenham has become a retiree destination for Houston refugees.
cypress-ag
AG
EliteElectric said:

cypress-ag said:

EliteElectric said:

agnerd said:

Also a lot of inferior concrete work in HTX. Could be the clay substrate, could be the plants, could be labor could be all three, but as a rule HTX isn't a hotbed of quality.
I live in a home built in 1985 and it has zero issues with slab, electrical, plumbing...it's a great area and I'd say the same for the entire area around us.
woodiewood1
agnerd said:

You're right. Plumbing was the wrong trade to mention (along with electrical). Trades that are licensed is not where you save the money with illegal labor. Framing, masonry, and concrete is where you save.
i havent seen iillegals in the trades also but often see it in the construction and landscaping sub crews.
EliteElectric
cypress-ag said:

EliteElectric said:

cypress-ag said:

EliteElectric said:

agnerd said:

I live in a home built in 1985 and it has zero issues with slab, electrical, plumbing...it's a great area and I'd say the same for the entire area around us.
1985 was 37 years ago, things have changed drastically
mhnatt
woodiewood1 said:

agnerd said:

i havent seen iillegals in the trades also but often see it in the construction and landscaping sub crews.

I didn't think it mattered anymore. I mean, like, they vote, get driver's licenses, Medicaid, and will practically sue you (or the media roast you) for using the word "illegal". Houston is a sanctuary. Think Plum Grove Sanctuary. Where else do you think the 2.78 million "migrants" that crossed this year, are working?
warreng
Allot of it in College Station also has to do with the schools as well. A high percentage of buyers want to be in the College Station school zones be it for their kids or for resale purposes. If you look at the footprint of College Station ISD it is much smaller than you would think which leads to a drastic increase in the cost of the raw land to put developments on. Houston is much more spread out with more land to choose from.
aggie-1997
AG
This is actually our way of trying to curb growth and keep more people from wanting to move here. It is the whole "We are full, check out Dallas" mentality.

I am kidding of course....but there is always a little truth to every joke!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.