Fedora Out At Consol?

22,736 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ukbb2003
ag009
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I agree that the pressure to pass players is everywhere, but I'm just saying now having taught in multiple districts, it was by far the worst during my time at Navasota.
maroon barchetta
And amazingly, they fielded championship football teams during that time.

I can't imagine what it's like at some bigger schools like Katy or Allen or Austin Westlake.
Hornbeck
Meh. If you guys think it's so great that coaches don't teach, I guess you're all for higher taxes to fund that.

My HS FB coach taught (History). He was the AD. All his assistants taught too. I get that there's a lot of support staff, bus drivers, janitors, etc. that don't teach. I also think that football coaches should Have to teach a class or two.
UmustBKidding
No i mean if you teach boys athletics you travel. Not sure if tennis or golf still do, but other sports, things like wrestling and power lifting traveled.
I was out Friday but the few teachers i talked with were more concerned about some of the good teachers who also coach leaving than the HC being gone. He was king when he came and he got to do things that were not popular but its good to be king. Am sure happens other places.
Also almost always the coach must be a credentialed teacher (or retired one) since they give pe credit for football. But guess who never attends faculty and staff meetings/training. So they all teach, but may only be PE.
AG81
AG
Hornbeck said:

Meh. If you guys think it's so great that coaches don't teach, I guess you're all for higher taxes to fund that.

My HS FB coach taught (History). He was the AD. All his assistants taught too. I get that there's a lot of support staff, bus drivers, janitors, etc. that don't teach. I also think that football coaches should Have to teach a class or two.

Where, ANYWHERE, did I say I think it's great that coaches don't teach. Reading comprehension problems?

A reasonable person would conclude from my post that it's not just non-teaching coaches that are the only ones sucking resources from the classroom. Non-teaching coaches are only a small part of that equation.
Roc96
AG
maroon barchetta said:

No Pass, No Play came about while I was in high school. Pressure to pass players who are flunking classes has been around since at least the 80's.
Ag009 is understating the situation when Lee was at Navasota. I had a few other friends - one was on the coaching staff - who were shocked at how obscene the pressure to pass football players was. Jobs threatened, leave time not approved, reassignment. And there are SO many of those young men who never benefitted from being "passed along." Many are jobless, job-to-job, incarcerated now, without the necessary skills to provide for themselves or for others who now rely on them. I'm a career coach, nearing retirement, and I've seen a lot. What staffers endured at Navasota was illegal.
Roc
ag009
AG
Roc96 said:

maroon barchetta said:

No Pass, No Play came about while I was in high school. Pressure to pass players who are flunking classes has been around since at least the 80's.
Ag009 is understating the situation when Lee was at Navasota. I had a few other friends - one was on the coaching staff - who were shocked at how obscene the pressure to pass football players was. Jobs threatened, leave time not approved, reassignment. And there are SO many of those young men who never benefitted from being "passed along." Many are jobless, job-to-job, incarcerated now, without the necessary skills to provide for themselves or for others who now rely on them. I'm a career coach, nearing retirement, and I've seen a lot. What staffers endured at Navasota was illegal.

I was being vague but yes this is accurate. Ha! Really, really unfortunate because these young men needed people to tell them that life beyond football was coming.
TAMU1990
AG
This happens everywhere (football players passing classes when they shouldn't).
jeffk
AG
TAMU1990 said:

This happens everywhere (football players passing classes when they shouldn't).

It does, but there's certainly degrees of severity.
AustinCountyAg
UmustBKidding said:

He does not teach because he is the athletic director. That is how schools work around that. Most other assistants teach, some are great teachers and others not so much. But the thing that upsets some is that all the coaches must travel with the team. His rule. Which makes Friday hell when it comes to staffing. No sub available for freshman basketball coach that MUST travel with the team means a regular teacher or assistant principal has to cover all their afternoon classes.

this occurs at basically every 5a and below school in texas. Damn near every (male) coach on staff is involved with football, so yes all football coaches, even most JH ones travel to Friday football games unless they go to scout. This shouldn't be a shock to anyone.

You think Concol has a problem finding subs on a friday go to any smaller school on a Friday and see what they have to deal with.
UmustBKidding
Ya pretty sure you are not in touch with the scope of the issue. One recent day they were 42 short. Not 42 out they had more that that out they needed 42 additional subs. And that was not even an athletic driven event. And the coaches that are not football involved are ones saying sorry i have to have a aub i have no clue while i am required to go i have nothing to do with this.
AustinCountyAg
UmustBKidding said:

Ya pretty sure you are not in touch with the scope of the issue. One recent day they were 42 short. Not 42 out they had more that that out they needed 42 additional subs. And that was not even an athletic driven event. And the coaches that are not football involved are ones saying sorry i have to have a aub i have no clue while i am required to go i have nothing to do with this.

Pretty sure I am in touch with the issue considering I still work in public education and am a former coach. Like I said this problem exists across all districts. Honestly, with the resources that A&M and blinn can provide consol has way more access to subs than other districts. Sounds like bad administration and not the athletic department with the problems.
Crusaders41
I guess the idea of Fedora to Caldwell was false.... But not far off.... His OC got the job....
Turf96
AustinCountyAg said:

UmustBKidding said:

Pretty sure I am in touch with the issue considering I still work in public education and am a former coach. Like I said this problem exists across all districts. Honestly, with the resources that A&M and blinn can provide consol has way more access to subs than other districts. Sounds like bad administration and not the athletic department with the problems.

It isn't all administrative issues when one sport takes priority over education is it? Bottom line is sports are to enhance your education not get in the way or take priority of it. 45 plus teachers seems like priority over it to me. I know ag departments that take almost as many kids to judging contests as a 5A football team has that happen at many different locals in same town and take 4-5 teachers and make it just fine. Can you explain why it would take that many to go operate an away football game?

Texas high school sports needs a total reset. Sure as a coach you have heard sports don't build character they reveal it? Many times now days that is more true for admin and coaches than the kids. Maybe we need to go back to hiring men and women to coach kids in life and character over x and o. Pretty sure you would agree with this. Winning May save the coaches job but learning how to win in life May save the athletes job.

As for navasota back then there was for sure some smoke. It wasn't a huge secret. Have no first hand knowledge but had friends in all levels of that school.
techno-ag
AG
Any sport in which a student can be offered a college scholarship for will continue to see interest at the high school level. If you want to focus purely on academics then you need to start by eliminating athletic scholarships at the university level. Until then Consol and other football programs will keep trucking along TYVM.
BiochemAg97
AG
AggiePhil said:

Bring him over to be A&M's OC.

Or recruiting staff
AustinCountyAg
Turf96 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

UmustBKidding said:

It isn't all administrative issues when one sport takes priority over education is it? Bottom line is sports are to enhance your education not get in the way or take priority of it. 45 plus teachers seems like priority over it to me. I know ag departments that take almost as many kids to judging contests as a 5A football team has that happen at many different locals in same town and take 4-5 teachers and make it just fine. Can you explain why it would take that many to go operate an away football game?

Texas high school sports needs a total reset. Sure as a coach you have heard sports don't build character they reveal it? Many times now days that is more true for admin and coaches than the kids. Maybe we need to go back to hiring men and women to coach kids in life and character over x and o. Pretty sure you would agree with this. Winning May save the coaches job but learning how to win in life May save the athletes job.

As for navasota back then there was for sure some smoke. It wasn't a huge secret. Have no first hand knowledge but had friends in all levels of that school.
Well on a Friday you have to remember football coaches, band teachers, cheer sponsors, dance team sponsors are all going to the football game. On top of that you have volleyball going on so you have coaches there, as well a cross country meets going on so you have that as well. Lets also not forget FFA meets that could be taking place so you may have Ag teachers gone also. All that on top of the normal sick days, and personal days can make an excessive # of teachers out on a particular day.

It takes a lot of football coaches because well, that is what they are paid to do.

jeffk
AG
Football programs *could* get by without taking all of their sub-varsity coaches to away games and some programs choose to do so. It just means the varsity coaches assume more of the mundane and menial pregame jobs that the guys lower on the totem pole typically perform.

EDIT to add that a lot of those sub-varsity coaches received a smaller stipend for coaching the lower teams and their work with varsity (on gamedays and otherwise) is excused under the "other duties as assigned" portions of the contracts they sign. Some districts have become quite a bit more strict with letting their teachers be taken out of their teaching work for this sort of work while others give HCs a lot more sway in determining who they "need" for games and other events.
victory
AG
bottom line folks, its becoming more and more difficult to be a teacher and even more so to be a head coach of any HS sport. Its not about on field success, its about keeping the parents happy. The absolute last thing any AD, principal or super want to deal with are parents and unfortunately parents now are worse than ever and have more leverage than ever before bc they will stop at nothing. Days of holding kids accountable, being honest with kids.....less and less districts will accept this now bc it creates unhappy parents. Less standards, less expectations, less accountability.....that's what parents have created now. They just blame the coach, blame the teacher and weak admin will just pass the same problems on to someone else. Teachers and coaches don't get the support they used to get, not even close. Its not surprising so many coaches and teachers are leaving the profession. Sad world
letterman72
AG
2022 District 11-5A Div-1 TRI-COACH OF THE YEAR - Lee Fedora, A&M Consolidated

" They just blame the coach, blame the teacher and weak admin will just pass the same problems on to someone else. Teachers and coaches don't get the support they used to get, not even close. Its not surprising so many coaches and teachers are leaving the profession. Sad world "
KaneIsAble
AG
Where is that quote from?
jeffk
AG
The post just prior to his.
southwestag
Yep - some got to college but the pressure to succeed overwhelmed them

Others became Friday night legends in navasota and never heard from again

The few that went to college and succeeded never come back lol

But a lot aren't in debt lol - family had land and they just added another trailer
TAMU1990
AG
letterman72 said:

2022 District 11-5A Div-1 TRI-COACH OF THE YEAR - Lee Fedora, A&M Consolidated

" They just blame the coach, blame the teacher and weak admin will just pass the same problems on to someone else. Teachers and coaches don't get the support they used to get, not even close. Its not surprising so many coaches and teachers are leaving the profession. Sad world "
Oops
woodiewood1
victory said:

bottom line folks, its becoming more and more difficult to be a teacher and even more so to be a head coach of any HS sport. Its not about on field success, its about keeping the parents happy. The absolute last thing any AD, principal or super want to deal with are parents and unfortunately parents now are worse than ever and have more leverage than ever before bc they will stop at nothing. Days of holding kids accountable, being honest with kids.....less and less districts will accept this now bc it creates unhappy parents. Less standards, less expectations, less accountability.....that's what parents have created now. They just blame the coach, blame the teacher and weak admin will just pass the same problems on to someone else. Teachers and coaches don't get the support they used to get, not even close. Its not surprising so many coaches and teachers are leaving the profession. Sad world

Also the main reasons you can't get subs. Putting up with undisciplined students with zero administrative support is not worth the $100 +/- that a sub makes.
Wicked Good Ag
Worked a local basketball tourney this past week and team 1 had their best player not show for the final day of tourney because they needed to go to Austin for a family gathering
The next team had six players gone because parents took them on vacation even though they knew the schedule since August. They played with 6 for the whole tourney.
And one parent complained the day one when they lost a game to a run and gun team up and down the court because the coach didn't adjust. He brought up 2 JV players to make six and the coach is to blame ??
Parents are worse then ever in regard to teachers coaches admin
If I had disrespected a coach or teacher the school would have paddled me and then I waited for punishment at home. Now it is see what I can do to someone at school with authority and tic tok it for likes.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Consol Tiger Club is having a Fedora Appreciation Banquet.

Anyone have any extra popcorn?
maroon barchetta
aggiepaintrain said:

Consol Tiger Club is having a Fedora Appreciation Banquet.

Anyone have any extra popcorn?

It's a banquet. They should provide the food.
letterman72
AG
https://www.kbtx.com/2023/01/06/tiger-club-honors-former-coach-with-reception-issues-statement-about-csisds-decision-losing-fedora/

Tiger Club President Tracy Melder issued this statement to KBTX Sports about Fedora 'stepping down' decision:

First, we would like to thank Coach Fedora for his leadership, his success, for his constant presence at all sporting events over the last 6 years and building our athletes into top tier competitors. Tiger Club was proud to work with Coach Fedora to raise money for our sports programs, improve the student athlete experience and underwrite projects our district would not fund. Coach Fedora made sure each sport brought their requests to Tiger Club and I would say we funded all of them because he wanted every student in every sport to have the best opportunity to be successful. Because of him, Tiger Club has seen a record level of giving, parent involvement and school spirit that has not been present since the high school split into two.

***** >>Second, we would like to state we do not support the decision of the CSISD Administration for "losing" Coach Fedora. As parents and volunteers we are aware of his high level of performance and are shocked at his dismissal. At the beginning of the year Tiger Club and parents were eager to take our battle to CSISD top administrators regarding improvements and repairs that were desperately needed after the bond failed. Issues we wanted to address with administration included locker rooms, weight rooms, and the overall condition of our aged facilities were covered with them with the help of Coach Fedora. We regret our coach took the heat for the administration's failure to provide safe and quality facilities.

We are saddened that we lost a coach who loved his alma mater and who gave his heart and soul to the program and to his athletes. We have had more kids go on to play college ball than ever before and to date, he is still working for our kids.

The next person will have big shoes to fill.

George Costanza
No one has to of course, but I wonder if anyone would allow their personnel records to be released. Sometimes that clears up why someone was terminated, resigned, transferred or whatever.
The Good Aggieboy19
AG
Bet it's Codutti from Fulshear
gig'em
The Good Aggieboy19
AG
Nevermind. DFW guy?
gig'em
txgardengirl
Welcome to the Jungle, Coach Schmidt - news announced this morning
Tailgate88
AG
https://www.kbtx.com/2023/01/26/college-station-isd-expected-name-new-consol-head-coach/

Looks like Consol got a good one.
LOYAL AG
AG
Interesting hire. Prosper has grown like a weed the past 15 years or so. Much different setting than College Station which is certainly growing but not like Prosper which is on a similar trajectory to Allen. 32 years ago my dad retired from the Navy and moved to Allen when it had like 19k residents. Now it's the biggest HS in the state. he moved to Prosper about 15 years ago and it's exploding around him.

Kind of wonder who the pool of athletes looks like in the two towns. Seems like Prosper is probably better suited in that regard except that it has Frisco and McKinney as neighbors and maybe people still prefer that to the "smaller" Prosper. Hope he does well. He's got big shoes to fill.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.