Tesla Supercharger

6,052 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AgProgrammer
newbie11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone know if the Target at University and Texas has its superchargers up and running? The Tesla website says 4th quarter 2022.

I'm coming up for the lswho game and hate to get stranded.

Thanks for any help.

trouble
AG
There's not a Target at University and Texas.
tb9665
Embassy Suites close to that intersection has charging.
nwspmp
newbie11 said:

Does anyone know if the Target at University and Texas has its superchargers up and running? The Tesla website says 4th quarter 2022.

Thanks for any help.

Not yet. There is a national shortage on transformers right now, and that Target was also a bit delayed in the renovations. This is at the College Station Target at Holleman and Texas. Some hotels around have destination charging, but no Supercharger level units yet. Closest I think is in Huntsville on I-45

I would imagine Q1 of next year would be more likely. These will be 150kW units as well, IIRC. There will also be 6 350kW public chargers coming in around the same time, but I can't remember the specific location.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
nwspmp said:

newbie11 said:

Thanks for any help.

Not yet. There is a national shortage on transformers right now, and that Target was also a bit delayed in the renovations. This is at the College Station Target at Holleman and Texas. Some hotels around have destination charging, but no Supercharger level units yet. Closest I think is in Huntsville on I-45

I would imagine Q1 of next year would be more likely. These will be 150kW units as well, IIRC. There will also be 6 350kW public chargers coming in around the same time, but I can't remember the specific location.

Are these generally a pay for service or free to public?
Smeghead4761
I have yet to see a Supercharger that wasn't a pay station, just like gas pumps.
maroon barchetta
Smeghead4761 said:

I have yet to see a Supercharger that wasn't a pay station, just like gas pumps.

Buc-ee's in Waller?
mason12
AG
In reviewing city of College Station site plans in the past it showed construction plans submitted for a charging station for the south side of the parking lot by Target/behind Outback. There was also plans submitted for a charging station at the HEB gas pumps at Texas and Holleman.
CN
maroon barchetta said:

Smeghead4761 said:

Buc-ee's in Waller?
It's pay too. You don't swipe your credit card at a supercharger, it's automatically billed to your card on file with Tesla.
KidDoc
AG
There are charging stations in the parking garages on campus as well. Not super charges just a 40 amp kind of setup. I sold my model S a few years ago so I'm not sure if they are always occupied or not.

There are 2 40 amp charging stations at the hotel near Salt Grass at William D Fitch and Hwy 6. If you are coming from red stick you can probably swing by the Supercharger in Huntsville TX it is only 60ish miles from College Station.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
newbie11
Thx for the info. Without a supercharger in CS, driving here from SA sucks. Stopping in giddings to charge isn't that convenient and overnight Charging during the day is painful. Unless I'm at home. Anyhow, hopefully CS will get some fast chargers soon.
KayJayKay
What do these things cost to charge? And are there different prices for faster chargers? Just curious, Thanks
Smeghead4761
KidDoc said:

There are charging stations in the parking garages on campus as well. Not super charges just a 40 amp kind of setup. I sold my model S a few years ago so I'm not sure if they are always occupied or not.

There are 2 40 amp charging stations at the hotel near Salt Grass at William D Fitch and Hwy 6. If you are coming from red stick you can probably swing by the Supercharger in Huntsville TX it is only 60ish miles from College Station.
Here's the info from campus Transportation. I didn't realize there were so many on campus.

https://transport.tamu.edu/Alternative/ev.aspx

I don't know how much they're occupied, but I know the one's in NSG were occupied whenever I drove by them during normal class/business hours. The one's at Bush Library less so,but at least one was usually occupied.
woodiewood1
trouble said:

The World of Wine is a target for a lot of people on gameday weekends.
TXAG 05
AG
newbie11 said:

Thx for the info. Without a supercharger in CS, driving here from SA sucks. Stopping in giddings to charge isn't that convenient and overnight Charging during the day is painful. Unless I'm at home. Anyhow, hopefully CS will get some fast chargers soon.

It's almost like electric cars are inconvenient for long distance travel.
halibut sinclair
woodiewood1 said:

trouble said:

The World of Wine is a target for a lot of people on gameday weekends.

And the World of Beer.
halibut sinclair
TXAG 05 said:

newbie11 said:

EV's are still in the Henry Ford Model T stage.
maroon barchetta
halibut sinclair said:

TXAG 05 said:

newbie11 said:

They have windshields. And wipers.
halibut sinclair
maroon barchetta said:

halibut sinclair said:

TXAG 05 said:

newbie11 said:

They have windshields. And wipers.

You know what I mean.
nwspmp
KayJayKay said:

What do these things cost to charge? And are there different prices for faster chargers? Just curious, Thanks
It varies. Some charge for the kWh used only, some charge a fee plus cost of kWh, some have a multiplier on cost of kWh (if power rate is $0.11/kWh, then billed cost is $0.33/kWh).

Some manufacturers have a certain amount of free charging credits with certain charge networks, etc...

There's no consistent pricing anywhere that I know of.
EMY92
AG
Prices to charge vary.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/charging-a-gmc-hummer-ev-to-100-can-cost-you-over-100

Quote:

At Electrify America's standing rates of $0.43/kWh, that comes to a total of $96.32 before taxes and fees. That rounds up to over $100 for a full charge, all things considered. That drops to $69.44 before taxes for Electrify America Pass+ members, who are only charged $0.31/kWh for a $4 monthly fee.
maroon barchetta
EMY92 said:

Prices to charge vary.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/charging-a-gmc-hummer-ev-to-100-can-cost-you-over-100

Quote:

At Electrify America's standing rates of $0.43/kWh, that comes to a total of $96.32 before taxes and fees. That rounds up to over $100 for a full charge, all things considered. That drops to $69.44 before taxes for Electrify America Pass+ members, who are only charged $0.31/kWh for a $4 monthly fee.

TeslaAg on the auto forum assured us that he is practically paying pocket change for his charging time.
EMY92
AG
It is very cheap if you're charging at home. If you have a Tesla and use their stations, it's pretty cheap. Other locations can be more pricy.
happyinBCS
so CS rates are about .13 per kwh and using the example above it takes about 224 kwh to charge so that would be about 29.00 so if you charge it about 6 times a month at home that would add about 175.00 to your electric bill
Bill Clinternet
AG
CS needs a supercharger badly. Stops at the Bucee's in Waller are nice but it would be nicer to have one in CS.
maroon barchetta
Neehau said:

CS needs a supercharger badly. Stops at the Bucee's in Waller are nice but it would be nicer to have one in CS.

I believe Elon Musk has a Twitter account. You should tweet at him and let him know.
techno-ag
AG
Neehau said:

Alas, people say there's not enough traffic for a Bucee's in BCS.
Bill Clinternet
AG
techno-ag said:

Neehau said:

There will be a Bucee's in BCS eventually. I just hope they put a tesla super charger in BCS soon.
AG81
AG
Neehau said:

techno-ag said:

Neehau said:

There will be a Bucee's in BCS eventually. I just hope they put a tesla super charger in BCS soon.

I'll take that bet on Buccees in B/CS. Just not gonna happen.
DisTex
AG
The H-E-B at Texas and Holemon. Is the location for the supercharger in CS. You can now see the 8 charger stations. So soon very soon
AgProgrammer
AG
I'm sure someone smarter than me picked that location, but the HEB in South CS on Highway 6 seems like a much more logical location. On the highway and the parking lot isn't nearly as small/packed as the HEB at Texas/Holleman.
maroon barchetta
Agreed
One Louder
AG
TXAG 05 said:

newbie11 said:

That's the biggest reason we sold our Model S. Had it for 6 years and just got tired of having to plan for charging stops which were sometimes a bit out of the way.
maroon barchetta
You don't also own a internal combustion engine vehicle you could use?
KidDoc
AG
maroon barchetta said:

You don't also own a internal combustion engine vehicle you could use?

We have always had an ICE as well but I enjoyed the experiment of electric travel, it just got old fast. Our best trip was to Marksville Louisiana as we pulled into the Alexendria supercharger with less than 10 miles left. It was kind of nice to explore downtown Alexandria for over an hour. But yes it got old fast.

(Onelouder is my amazing wife)
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.