So much for "La Niña"

7,102 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TXAGBQ76
mhnatt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wasn't it supposed to be dry down here? I appreciate the generous rain over the past few weeks but the 10-day forecast still looks a bit foul for some of our best "season" :P
maroon barchetta
Please do not put that evil on us, Ricky Bobby.

Don't taunt Mother Nature into throwing us into a drought.

It's not nice to fool Mother Nature.

scd88
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Please do not put that evil on us, Ricky Bobby.

Don't taunt Mother Nature into throwing us into a drought.

It's not nice to fool Mother Nature.

Exactly.
Tom Cardy
AG
Loving the cold and rain so far. Great to have some fall/winter weather after how warm it was last year and all summer.
TXAGBQ76
AG
" oh my gosh, we need rain so bad, I don't care how much or for how long, woe is me"
"Oh my gosh, we are getting too much rain and are scheduled for a bunch more, woe is me"
mhnatt
Ha, I hear you but am more referring to the seemingly wrong La Niña prediction. Plus we unfortunately have had a tough time getting what little hay we could cut this year, off the ground in the past couple weeks. Fine for folks who stay indoors but us, not so much. A bit of moderation this year for a change would be cool.
TXAGBQ76
AG
I hear ya
trouble
AG
Moderation in Texas weather?

Bless your heart.
mhnatt
trouble said:

Bless your heart.

Sounds like you have little experience living outside of Texas.
trouble
AG
mhnatt said:

trouble said:

Bless your heart.

Sounds like you have little experience living outside of Texas.

I have no desire to live outside of Texas. Moderation is just not something I ever expect from our weather.
FlyRod
Not my favorite weather, but all the cabbages, peas, lettuces and various cold weather veggies in my garden are in Heaven!
LOYAL AG
AG
Had a professor in grad school describe central Texas weather as drought broken by the occasional flood. We're in the occasional flood. Welcome to central Texas.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
tb9665
How to put out Christmas lights with rain? I know we need it but this week?
cavscout96
AG
Missed a concrete pour this week, but after this summer, I swore I would never complain about rain again so, I didn't

Pastures were already fairly dried out by this afternoon, even with .75" yesterday.

Marlin39m
Lake Somerville is six feet below pool level. La Niña still has a strong grip on this area.
txyaloo
AG
tb9665 said:

How to put out Christmas lights with rain? I know we need it but this week?
doubledog
Long range Meteorology (including climate change) and astrology, two reliable ways to predict the future....
If you believe in those sort of things....
mhnatt
doubledog said:

Long range Meteorology (including climate change) and astrology, two reliable ways to predict the future....

I think the La/El Niño effect is sort of a scientifically accepted thing. Or at least until a few weeks ago.
histag10
AG
Marlin39m said:

Lake Somerville is six feet below pool level. La Niña still has a strong grip on this area.

We have a pond, that when full is around 14' deep. It is completely bone dry (it is normally down this time of year, but we are told it still had water at the height of the drought in 2011, and this is the first time we have seen it dry- as well as several other local ponds in our area) . We still need WAY more rain than we will be getting this week or likely even in the next month.

Also OP, as someone who grew up on a farm, this is the first time I have ever heard a "farmer" complain about getting rain. Normally I hear "we really need to get crops out of the field, but I'll take rain any day. It can only help next year's crop"
scd88
AG
I'm enjoying this Seattle version of winter. Rain is good for us right now.
doubledog
mhnatt said:

doubledog said:

I think the La/El Niño effect is sort of a scientifically accepted thing. Or at least until a few weeks ago.
So was blood letting..
mhnatt
doubledog said:

mhnatt said:

doubledog said:

So was blood letting..
Then welcome to the La Niña Deniers Club. Glad to have you.
BrazosDog02
AG
histag10 said:

Marlin39m said:

We have a pond, that when full is around 14' deep. It is completely bone dry (it is normally down this time of year, but we are told it still had water at the height of the drought in 2011, and this is the first time we have seen it dry- as well as several other local ponds in our area) . We still need WAY more rain than we will be getting this week or likely even in the next month.

Also OP, as someone who grew up on a farm, this is the first time I have ever heard a "farmer" complain about getting rain. Normally I hear "we really need to get crops out of the field, but I'll take rain any day. It can only help next year's crop"

Happy to have it. Everyone in the county had the hay down and out a couple of weeks ago. This time of year is always unpredictable. As they say, make hay when the sun shines. It's not just a cute quip.
mhnatt
BrazosDog02 said:

histag10 said:

Marlin39m said:

Happy to have it. Everyone in the county had the hay down and out a couple of weeks ago. This time of year is always unpredictable. As they say, make hay when the sun shines. It's not just a cute quip.

But on a serious note, complaining or not, the issue I'm recognizing is that the supposed La Niña effect that was widely touted is not happening in the south.
toolshed
AG
Most ponds I've seen are very low to completely dry.

The "rains" we've gotten have had very little in the way of runoff, so ponds and lakes have not seen much of any benefit from the wet weather we've been having.

I imagine it's helped the trees and grass a little but not much beyond that.
oklaunion
At noon, WeatherDrew has us at 5+ inches from Sat-Tues.
Tailgate88
AG
Fear not, Winter is Coming...

El_duderino
Please no
oklaunion
December of '83 was not kind. CS stayed below freezing for 10 straight days and every pond in the area froze over.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
El_duderino said:

Please no

I'm on the fence - it's been so warm these last ten days or so. I went for a run around 2PM yesterday and my heart rate was struggle bussing to stay in the orange zone. Kept popping up into the red.

That being said, I'm also enjoying wearing shorts and T-shirt's right now while other parts of the country slate getting snowed in or sub-32 degree weather..
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Tom Cardy
AG
Tailgate88 said:

Fear not, Winter is Coming...

I think your emoji choice reflects the satire, but for anyone else seeing this it's worth mentioning that looking at model runs that far in the future is typically not very accurate. Consistent agreement across multiple runs and models can help indicate that a certain pattern is more likely, but models are basically never 100% accurate at 15 days out.

I think we will see some colder temps for Christmas week, but to this point nobody knows when/where/how cold yet.

Accounts like that can be a bit overzealous with potential impacts at times.
oklaunion
It's like anything else, a heads up about what could happen. If it gets even a few folks attention who are never prepared and it comes to fruition, it may be worth paying attention to.
I remember when Hurricane Sandy was going thru the Carribean and almost at the east end of Cuba. One of the cable weather stations gave a heads up to the east coast, especially the yanks up north. Nearly everyone ignored the warning. Afterwards they complained that they should have been advised. But it was only a tropical storm when it hit them. So of course they had to call it a Super Storm.
Bpriefert
Tom Cardy said:

models are basically never 100% accurate at 15 days out.

FlyRod
Shel just posted on Twitter about a possible "Snowmageddon" right at Christmas. Buckle up!
mhnatt
So here we are.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.