Skating rink?

4,209 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Geralt of Rivia
michellecan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Will BCS ever wise up and get one? The
wareagle044
Have had a few over the years/decades.
MiMi
S
Went to many children's birthday parties when my kids were younger at the roller skating rink at the now Grand Station (can't remember it's former name).
trouble
AG
They've come and gone. As soon as this 80s/90s fad is out again, they'll be a lot less popular again.
AgTrip
That closed around 1998 I believe. Closest one is in Brenham, Silver wings I believe.

BluHorseShu
AG
michellecan said:

Will BCS ever wise up and get one? The
There is actually a very large but silent cabal trying to rebuild Poohs Park. What a glorious skating Mecca that was back in the day…
EvenPar
AG
Rolling Thunder owned by the Artz family. I remember the NYE Lock-ins and balloon drops.
EliteElectric
EvenPar said:

Rolling Thunder owned by the Artz family. I remember the NYE Lock-ins and balloon drops.
haha my wife still talks about that place and her purple RS-1000's whatever the heck those were lol
Hornbeck
I seem to remember a big one on Texas Avenue at Holleman…
halibut sinclair
There was a place on Hwy. 21 back in the 60s around where McDonald's is now.
MS08
AG
Hornbeck said:

I seem to remember a big one on Texas Avenue at Holleman…,

Yes, Pooh's Park. Pooh comes from what the owner of it had named his dog. All been developed but there was still a remaining raw land tract where it used to be up until 3 years ago or so.
I think it's funny seeing people blade again for exercise, love it.
TexasAggie_02
AG
There is the ice rink
TyHolden
AG
I'm pretty sure roller skating rinks can be moved fairly easily. I have some contacts that could probably get one and even get Journey to come down and play for an hour or two.
cj774
AG
EliteElectric said:

EvenPar said:

haha my wife still talks about that place and her purple RS-1000's whatever the heck those were lol
I grew up in Bryan and had forgotten all about Rolling Thunder! That was THE place back in my childhood lol.

Still remember how it smelled and the hardback snack bar booth seats felt like.
unmade bed
Would be awesome to have one in the old Macy's! 2 story roller skating for the win!! Anyone know someone in city council?
Stupe
S
All of the places that shut down were when B/CS was a lot different from a family standpoint. A place with a roller rink, putt putt, go karts, and a party room would now do well.

It wouldn't have to rely just on A&M and Blinn students to survive.
Hornbeck
I seem to remember all of those type places, even bumper cars and bumper boats, but for some reason all of them have shut down. For whatever reason, we can't have nice things.
Aggie
AG
Hornbeck said:

I seem to remember all of those type places, even bumper cars and bumper boats, but for some reason all of them have shut down. For whatever reason, we can't have nice things.

Pooh's park had bumber cars, Putt Putt had bumper boats
BaitShack
AG

BaitShack
AG

halibut sinclair
Look at all the college students in those pictures! Great pics, btw.
BaitShack
AG

halibut sinclair
I know those kids in that last b/w photo!
BaitShack
AG

Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
West side of Bryan has tons of potential for this kinda stuff
Rapier108
This thread brings back some memories.
wareagle044
EvenPar said:

Wow. Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long long time.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I think for a skating rink to work, it probably needs to be part of an entertainment complex. I've always thought Whirlyball would do well in BCS. Perhaps a whirlyball and skating rink complex.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Rolling Thunder on Fridays back when I lived here for a year in 1989 was heaven on earth (except for the one time I had my brand new fluorescent LA Gears stolen from a cubby on the very day I got them).
GoneGirl
AG
BaitShack said:

I remember my first trip to Pooh's Park, driving past the mall under construction. The mall killed Pooh's Park for us as teenagers.
"If you're in the midst of a midlife crisis, you could buy a convertible, have an affair, or upgrade your cup size. But you'll probably be happiest if you save a dog's life." - Jen Lancaster
slyk
halibut sinclair said:

Lol great times. I can probably name a few names in nearly all those pics too. Most of the pics look like were taken before the skating rink remodel and the new entrance was moved onto the back side and the main entrance was off of Holleman East, just past the laundry-mat. The skating rink was eventually shortened some to make room for an indoor carousel and Ferris wheel in the back.
I remember on the crowed nights there were would be 200+ people in there. Sadly the skating fad started to die away in the mid 80's and they closed down in '87 I believe. Seems like once the teens got to about 16-18 y/o they moved on to bigger better things and the younger group of kid skaters died out, thus left the skate sessions near empty. There could of been some other contributing factors too, idk.
Fwiw- roller blades or in-line skates were unheard of then.

Help me out here...was Rolling Thunder at the now current Planet Fitness building on Briarcrest for a short time, post the Pooh's Park era? Was then moved to the one that was on back side of Grand Station?

Isn't there (or was) a Facebook page created for Pooh's Park?
PS3D
slyk said:

halibut sinclair said:

Lol great times. I can probably name a few names in nearly all those pics too. Most of the pics look like were taken before the skating rink remodel and the new entrance was moved onto the back side and the main entrance was off of Holleman East, just past the laundry-mat. The skating rink was eventually shortened some to make room for an indoor carousel and Ferris wheel in the back.
I remember on the crowed nights there were would be 200+ people in there. Sadly the skating fad started to die away in the mid 80's and they closed down in '87 I believe. Seems like once the teens got to about 16-18 y/o they moved on to bigger better things and the younger group of kid skaters died out, thus left the skate sessions near empty. There could of been some other contributing factors too, idk.
Fwiw- roller blades or in-line skates were unheard of then.

Help me out here...was Rolling Thunder at the now current Planet Fitness building on Briarcrest for a short time, post the Pooh's Park era? Was then moved to the one that was on back side of Grand Station?

Yes, Rolling Thunder on Braircrest was closed in 1994 and the equipment was sold to what is now Grand Station; however, they didn't open until 1997.
Quote:

Isn't there (or was) a Facebook page created for Pooh's Park?

Also yes - https://m.facebook.com/100067595388480/

AggiePhil
AG
slyk said:

Help me out here...was Rolling Thunder at the now current Planet Fitness building on Briarcrest for a short time, post the Pooh's Park era?

That building was a Mr. Gatti's when I came here for school in the early 2000s.
PS3D
AggiePhil said:

slyk said:

Help me out here...was Rolling Thunder at the now current Planet Fitness building on Briarcrest for a short time, post the Pooh's Park era?

That building was a Mr. Gatti's when I came here for school in the early 2000s.

Yeah Mr. Gatti's "Gattiland" was there from 1996 to 2003. Got really run down by the end. I still remember the layout of the place, but sadly Planet Fitness has totally gutted it.
AggiePhil
AG
It's was actually labeled as a "Mr. Gatti's Plus" (whatever that means), as I recall. Was basically exactly the same as the one that wound up in the old College Station HEB (plus bumper cars).
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.