ISO a hand-made kitchen/butcher knife to give to my MIL for Christmas

1,277 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by aggie-1997
mhnatt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My mother-in-law loves to cook and I'd like to give her a very nice kitchen knife for Christmas. Maybe a hand forged Damascus or similar.

A bonus would be if I could somehow help make it or put some personal touches on it.

Anyone local in BCS?
BQ_90
AG
you might get more responses if you post on outdoor board

there are several knife makers on that board
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Do you have a budget?

A quality custom Damascus kitchen knife could run a thousand bucks.

There is a local guy that was on Forged in Fire, not sure if he does kitchen knives.
halibut sinclair
And you're trying to save a few bucks by eating in your car? Priorities, man.
histag10
AG
Logan Brackin at Brackin Blades Forge would be my recommendation. He did my husband's custom knife.

Edit- he was the local guy that was runner up on Forged in Fire. Great guy, and great bladesmith. Yes- he will do kitchen knives, but a custom knife will take quite a while. This one was almost a year I think from when we started the design process to when we got the knife.

Twisted ladder demascus with a gut hook, stabilized white pinecone handle with custom pins.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I'll 2nd Brackin Blades Forge. I had him refinish an old meat cleaver I found in my dairy barn.

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/3189815/replies/58974671#58974671
studioone

Not sure if names are getting confused.. but Richard Epting of Epting knives, who lives in wellborn, got 2nd place in Forged in Fire... and he kinda only makes ones that he likes to make.. He's also a fellow beekeeper and woodturner..

Logan Brackin actually goes to my church.. talked to him about an hour ago... he does custom knives and im sure he can make whatever you need...

so I know both of them...
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Logan was also a finalist on the show.
histag10
AG
Logan was also a finalist on Forged in Fire. Season 7 episode 33. If you haven't watched the episode and enjoy the show, I would recommend watching it (especially if you know him). He did an amazing job on the show, and basically got 2nd because of small fit and finish differences.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kbtx.com/2020/08/07/bryan-man-finishes-second-in-history-channels-forged-in-fire/%3foutputType=amp
Cola8d8
While not custom (but still expensive!), Benchmade makes some really good "butcher" knives. Can even get semi-custom.
aggie-1997
AG
halibut sinclair said:

And you're trying to save a few bucks by eating in your car? Priorities, man.
Not sure I know anyone that has made these kinds of sacrifices for their MIL.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.