If you need somewhere to go on Thanksgiving

5,388 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by EliteElectric
EliteElectric
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As we do every year, my family and I are extending an invitation to all of our friends and people in the community, young and old, who don't have anywhere to go on turkey day, for whatever reasons, to come enjoy a mostly traditional Thanksgiving day meal at our home no questions asked. It's cool for anyone to come by and hangout, have a drink, help cook, laugh at me or just watch football, but, I especially want those who are alone on Thanksgiving to know they can come by our house and enjoy a meal and some (mostly good) company. All are welcome and encouraged to come, especially if you have nowhere to go or feel isolated and/or alone. You do not have to be alone.

RSVP to this if you want directions andreas@elitellp.net

Happy Thanksgiving.
God Bless

And feel free to cross post to student board

also if I do not respond to the email post here, I have a pretty rigorous spam filter that sometimes take friendly fire
EliteElectric
also as an addenda to the above, we never take and/or post/share pics or try to expose anyone who has come by, you can remain as anonymous as you wish.
Tailgate88
AG
It's super awesome that you do this every year!
EliteElectric
and here are some links to past random years threads to get an idea how/what we serve, usually pretty "traditional" with some curveballs

https://texags.com/forums/35/topics/3244295/replies/60614772

https://texags.com/forums/35/topics/3078628/replies/55474757

https://texags.com/forums/35/topics/2559783/replies/41256011
mr83tr88
AG
Do you need volunteers to help you serve or do anything on that day? We aren't sure of our plans, but may be available to help you.
michellecan
Great is your reward!
trouble
AG
Email me at pieszn@gmail.com

I'd be happy to donate some pies to y'all.
kddub
Andreas is awesome. We are blessed to have him in our community!
75AG
AG
This is why when I need an electrician, EE is always who I call.
dirkjones
AG
Good bull dude!
MiMi
S
What does it take to get this thread stickied to the top?
woodiewood1
MiMi said:

What does it take to get this thread stickied to the top?
Just post to it every once in a while.
EliteElectric
mr83tr88 said:

Do you need volunteers to help you serve or do anything on that day? We aren't sure of our plans, but may be available to help you.

It's just something my family does every year, it isn't huge, just a few people other than us so we really don't need any help but I appreciate the sentiment
EliteElectric
trouble said:

Email me at pieszn@gmail.com

I'd be happy to donate some pies to y'all.

I'll talk to the boss (my wife) and we may just do that!
EliteElectric
Here is a little context for why we do this-

Years ago, when I was a poor student, some 700 miles from home, I couldn't afford to go home for Thanksgiving and Christmas like all of my friends, I had to choose so I chose Christmas break. All of my friends went home, and I found myself alone on Thanksgiving, walking around campus feeling as low as an 18-year-old can possibly feel. I ended up eating at a "Luby's" type place, and there were a few of us poor souls in there, eating our pressed turkey and canned cranberry sauce alone and alone in our thoughts. I had recently lost my best friend to a car wreck and my grandfather to old age. It was really hard being alone, feeling alone, crushing sadness, that was a feeling I never wanted to feel again. It is forever burned into my memory, that sadness, that melancholy feeling of helpless loss and isolation.

Years later, while my baby bro was attending school here, he asked if one of his friends, a Chinese student he had met in class, could come for thanksgiving as he had nowhere to go and didn't really understand the concept of why Americans even had a thanksgiving holiday. I said sure, the more the merrier bring whomever. Well, they must have posted a flyer at the foreign student center because that day we had about 10 foreign students for thanksgiving, we demonstrated the true spirit of American Thanksgiving and that's how it all started. That was around 97 or 98. In the years between then and now we have had as many as 30 and as few as 1. My only hope is that anyone who is alone on Thanksgiving is alone because they want to be, not because they must be.

MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
This right here. I went to the military out of high school, and I remember that first Thanksgiving of being away from home. It was incredibly depressing eating on the ship.

The following year, a buddy of mine invited me to his family's Thanksgiving (they lived near where we were stationed). It's the most memorable Thanksgiving I've had so far in my life because I was so thankful to not be alone.
AggieArchitect04
AG
God bless you.
EliteElectric
do not forget to email for directions BEFORE Thanksgiving, because we are busy the night before and day of cooking and preparing.

Andreas@elitellp.net
EliteElectric
also if I do not respond to the email post here, I have a pretty rigorous spam filter that sometimes take friendly fire
histag10
AG
Just saw this! If you still need desserts, email me at smashedcakestx@gmail.com.

I'd be happy to donate cakes or cupcakes to yall.
EliteElectric
EliteElectric
Going to recreate last year's mango glazed bird along with a traditional and a smoked and a couple of hams

Here is last years set up

ratfacemcdougal
Damn that smells gooooood.
localag88
It's good to know there are still fine people in this world…faith in humanity restored…THANKS!
The problem with people that don't get it is they don't get that they don't get it.
EliteElectric
localag88 said:

It's good to know there are still fine people in this world…faith in humanity restored…THANKS!
Contrary to what the media and pop culture would have you believe there are plenty of good people in this world, especially so here in BCS. Problem is the ****heads get all of the attention
EliteElectric
Loaded for bear! Don't sit home alone come get a belly full of home cooked goodness!!

rondis23
AG
Just got into town late today. Kids were bummed we didn't have a 'traditional' Thanksgiving this year as we spent about 7 hours of it driving to College Station today for thr LSU game weekend. Wish I would've seen your post earlier...we definitely would've crashed your fiesta! Thanks for being such a wonderful human being!
EliteElectric
rondis23 said:

Just got into town late today. Kids were bummed we didn't have a 'traditional' Thanksgiving this year as we spent about 7 hours of it driving to College Station today for thr LSU game weekend. Wish I would've seen your post earlier...we definitely would've crashed your fiesta! Thanks for being such a wonderful human being!

You guys would have been more than welcome, and there were plenty of otuer kids to play with.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.