Tax Statements have arrived - Thank you Steve and Russ!

3,959 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by befitter
officerfred
How long do you want to ignore this user?

The tax statements are here.

Search your property on https://www.brazostax.org/ if you haven't gotten anything in the mail.

Observe the increase after increase after increase in your tax history. Some things remain the same.
You'll see that taxes for Bryan, College Station, BISD, and CSISD have all climbed dramatically. Don't let the percentages mislead you. Take a look at the actual taxes you pay to support these local organizations.

You'll see that only the taxes for Brazos County decreased, entirely due to Steve Aldrich and Russ Ford. In the Brazos Valley, there are two conservative elected politicians. If we don't go vote, we'll be down to 1 next week.
George Costanza
You do get that the whole system the legislature created is based on a combination of appraised values and tax rates?

We all want our taxes to be as low as possible and budgets and taxes should be discussed and limited as much as possible, but it's either naive or disingenuous to argue our overall taxes shouldn't go up at all. Inflation, population growth, aging infrastructure, etc are all real.
Ratsa
officerfred said:

Observe the increase after increase after increase in your tax history. Some things remain the same.
You'll see that taxes for Bryan, College Station, BISD, and CSISD have all climbed dramatically. Don't let the percentages mislead you. Take a look at the actual taxes you pay to support these local organizations.

My CSISD taxes went up $48 a year (a 1.6% increase). I'd hardly call that a dramatic increase.
George Costanza
Hmmmm … even though my appraised value went up $40k, my CSISD taxes went down $150 and my county taxes only went up $40. The city is the one out of control.
CS78
Ok, then we need a law that says the total increase in taxes paid can't be higher than the federal inflation numbers. None of this 10% every year BS.

Im totally fine with reasonable increases to keep up with inflation. But screw people over and expect them to fight back as hard as possible.
George Costanza
"Ok, then we need a law that says the total increase in taxes paid can't be higher than the federal inflation numbers."

Haven't researched it yet for other entities, but there is already a law that school districts can't raise revenue more than 2.5% per year (way less than inflation obviously) without voter approval. That's why CSISD has Prop A on the ballot. There would be a 6.7 cents per hundred dollars of valuation decrease if it fails, if it passes the decrease would be 3.7 cents instead.

https://www.csisd.org/board/2022_voter-_approved_tax_ratification_election
ChampsAg
I sure wish that I could skip work and get paid.

Can't wait to hear the dynamic duo explain how their "valiant" efforts were not in vain when county expenses aren't paid.
GSS
George Costanza said:

You do get that the whole system the legislature created is based on a combination of appraised values and tax rates?

We all want our taxes to be as low as possible and budgets and taxes should be discussed and limited as much as possible, but it's either naive or disingenuous to argue our overall taxes shouldn't go up at all. Inflation, population growth, aging infrastructure, etc are all real.
And we are also told by local government leaders that promoting growth and rooftops is the key to keeping taxes low, by having the additional revenue from that growth...then they blame the growth on why additional taxes are needed.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
NateDog
AG
CS78 said:

Ok, then we need a law that says the total increase in taxes paid can't be higher than the federal inflation numbers. None of this 10% every year BS.

Im totally fine with reasonable increases to keep up with inflation. But screw people over and expect them to fight back as hard as possible.
Just one Brazos county homeowner, but my gut feeling was my property tax increases have been outpacing inflation for years. Did the math, and from 2004 to 2022 at the same residence (no additional improvements, located outside B/CS), my total property tax bill has gone up 55%.

The annual CPI-U was 189 for 2004, and looks to come in around 292/293 for 2022. That's an increase of...55%.

Now that doesn't mean our property tax increases "track" the CPI by any means. In my case, from 2009-2021 the tax increase % was larger than the CPI-U increase % every single year. But 2022 put things more in line since my tax went down around 2.5% while the CPI spiked almost 8%.

As always, ymmv, especially if you're in CoCS, my condolences to you.
NateDog
AG
George Costanza said:

"Ok, then we need a law that says the total increase in taxes paid can't be higher than the federal inflation numbers."

Haven't researched it yet for other entities, but there is already a law that school districts can't raise revenue more than 2.5% per year (way less than inflation obviously) without voter approval. That's why CSISD has Prop A on the ballot. There would be a 6.7 cents per hundred dollars of valuation decrease if it fails, if it passes the decrease would be 3.7 cents instead.

https://www.csisd.org/board/2022_voter-_approved_tax_ratification_election
Way less than current inflation. Y/Y CPI-U increase pre-COVID was routinely under 2%, the average 2009-2020 was 1.5%.
Abbyag06
Our appraisal has gone up 10% the past four years in a row. 5 years ago was over 10% and we appealed. Brazos County gave employees a 7.5% pay increase in July to help them with inflation. Maybe they should have waited for the budget to be approved first. I work in private industry and did not get any raise to help with inflation. I have found a way to make it work... the city, country, government needs to do that as well. I appreciate these two men taking a stand to help out the people that need it.
maroon barchetta
ChampsAg said:

I sure wish that I could skip work and get paid.

Can't wait to hear the dynamic duo explain how their "valiant" efforts were not in vain when county expenses aren't paid.

They were working for the people that voted them in. This was their job assignment as agreed upon between them and the people that elected them.

There are plenty of people in many workplaces that show up for work but don't do anything.

They did what they were elected to do.
JP76
The actual market value on most residential properties has jumped 35-40 % in the past 2 years in Brazos County. I know of numerous properties where the county appraisal value is currently $40,000 to $80,000 less than the current market value.
aggiepaintrain
AG
JP76 said:

The actual market value on most residential properties has jumped 35-40 % in the past 2 years in Brazos County. I know of numerous properties where the county appraisal value is currently $40,000 to $80,000 less than the current market value.

I think what we are most displeased with is HOW our funds are spent and never ending increases.
taxpreparer
AG
officerfred said:

Search your property on https://www.brazostax.org/ if you haven't gotten anything in the mail.

You'll see that only the taxes for Brazos County decreased, entirely due to Steve Aldrich and Russ Ford. In the Brazos Valley, there are two conservative elected politicians. If we don't go vote, we'll be down to 1 next week.

We are down to one, Russ Ford was primaried by Chuck Konderla. Konderla is a good guy but I do not know if he would have stood up to Peter's and Berry.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
maroon barchetta
taxpreparer said:

officerfred said:

We are down to one, Russ Ford was primaried by Chuck Konderla. Kindergarten is a good guy but I do not know if he would have stood up to Peter's and Berry.
taxpreparer
AG
Thank you. I have to learn to proofread my autocorrects before saving.
RGRAg1/75
AG
Tax bill has gone up $3,100 in last 9 years.
NateDog
AG
RGRAg1/75 said:

Not enough info. 4,500 to 7,600 in 9 years is a 69% jump (crazy high). But 15,900 to 19,000 in 9 years is only a 19% increase (not bad).
RGRAg1/75
AG
NateDog said:

RGRAg1/75 said:

Not enough info. 4,500 to 7,600 in 9 years is a 69% jump (crazy high). But 15,900 to 19,000 in 9 years is only a 19% increase (not bad).

Hair over 40%. And that's with me protesting every property valuation successfully over that same period of time. Had I not protested, it would exceed 60%. Which is total BS when you consider the appreciation hasn't been realized.

Who's to say I don't have to sell at the next market dip and realize a ~10% gain? It's absurd.
ChampsAg
They weren't working at all. They were throwing hissy fits because things weren't going their way.

One got voted out and the other will be gone soon. Riding their high horses into the sunset with their "well-earned" salaries.
taxpreparer
AG
ChampsAg said:

They weren't working at all. They were throwing hissy fits because things weren't going their way.

One got voted out and the other will be gone soon. Riding their high horses into the sunset with their "well-earned" salaries.

The one was voted out months before this controversy. Which one represents your precinct?
TXTEA12
I mean let's not talk about how they tried negotiating a middle ground tax rate with Judge and her highness Nancy before having to take an alternative approach. Judge and Nancy cried victim and wouldn't negotiate in good faith!
maroon barchetta
This.
deh40
AG
This is what you get when you disagree with King Peters

https://wtaw.com/a-brazos-county-commissioner-learns-without-advance-notice-he-is-being-replaced-on-the-board-at-the-brazos-valley-economic-development-corporation/
befitter
deh40 said:

This is what you get when you disagree with King Peters

https://wtaw.com/a-brazos-county-commissioner-learns-without-advance-notice-he-is-being-replaced-on-the-board-at-the-brazos-valley-economic-development-corporation/
Aldrich chose not to show up to work as a county commissioner. Not sure why we would want him on any other boards.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.