Bryan Mayoral and City Council Elections

8,180 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by outlaw08
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As requested, the thread to discuss the upcoming Mayor and city council elections for Bryan. Please share information on the candidates and their positions on key issues. As I see interviews with the Eagle, WTAW, KBTX, KAGS, etc. I will add here as well.

Mayor
Bobby Gutierrez
Brent Hairston
Mike Southerland.

Council District One
Paul Torres
Raul Santana

Council District Two
Ray Arrington
Rafael Pena

Council District Three
Doris Machinski
Jared Salvato

Council District Five
A.J. Renold
Kyle Schumann
Marca Ewers-Shurtleff

Council District Six
Kevin Boriskie
Patrick Giammalva

[Do not create multiple election threads again or we will ban you. -Staff]

[Just kidding and thank you for your efforts. -Staff]
halibut sinclair
No opinion on any of the Bryan City Council candidates, but I think so far Bobby Guttierez has my vote for mayor. Hairston seems like a good guy but has the Bryan good ol' boy system behind him. Southerland is not a choice because he has zero chance to win.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Staff with the jokes.
Tailgate88
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Staff with the jokes.

Who says mods don't have a sense of humor.
duffelpud
AG
Infectious sense of humor. Call it staff infection.
"What's this button do?"
Captn_Ag05
AG
It seems like Mayor Nelson is in the Gutierrez camp based on comments during recent WTAW interviews. I am not sure if he has formally endorsed anyone though.
EliteElectric
Bobby is a long time personal friend of mine. We have worked together on numerous charitable boards/comittes/fundraisers etc. He has a servant's heart, he loves our community, and has done a lot of great work on P&Z, council and EDC so far. He is prudent and thoughtfull, he will make a great mayor. He has my full support and confidence.
camra
Left off the at large place where Kevin Boriskie is an excellent candidate for the City of Bryan
Captn_Ag05
AG
camra said:

Left off the at large place where Kevin Boriskie is an excellent candidate for the City of Bryan
Added. I had it in the earlier post, thanks for pointing out that it wasn't here!
EliteElectric
camra said:

Yes this is very important because his opponent in this race is a completely unhinged man and would be a complete cancer and embarrassment to the community on council.

The guy put a cussing that would make a sailor blush on me at Texas Reds a few years ago in the courtyard of the Lasalle in front of my toddler daughter and numerous others.
trouble
AG
The guy who ran for mayor a couple years ago, right?
aggiemom89
Yes, Andrew Nelson is supporting Bobby Gutierrez, he came to my house campaigning for him, as did Buppy Simmank.
FlyRod
When I despair of state level politics, I take some comfort in Bryan producing some good local candidates (and even winners).
EliteElectric
trouble said:

The guy who ran for mayor a couple years ago, right?

Yes
rockelle
Mayor Nelson came to my house also with Marca Ewers-Shurtleff who he is endorsing for City council. She was impressive. Apparently a former mayor and very involved in City of Bryan. Sounds like almost all of the current council endorses her also.

I'm not familiar with all the races but it seems to be a lot of council turnover.
davido
AG
rockelle said:

Marca Ewers-Shurtleff

Find her website and check out her experience. It's extensive.

Kevin is great.

Bobby has been serving for a long time.

It's a good group. Wish they'd run in CS.
brew1990
Bobby has been on almost every board in the city and council the last few years. Based on his experience and record for helping our community he will definitely have my vote for Mayor.
oldag00
AG
EliteElectric said:

camra said:

Yes this is very important because his opponent in this race is a completely unhinged man and would be a complete cancer and embarrassment to the community on council.

The guy put a cussing that would make a sailor blush on me at Texas Reds a few years ago in the courtyard of the Lasalle in front of my toddler daughter and numerous others.
Well, did you deserve it?
EliteElectric
oldag00 said:

EliteElectric said:

camra said:

Well, did you deserve it?

I didn't think so, all I did was answer his question about supporting his run for mayor with a simple "no thank you, Andrew is my friend and we are supporting him" he then unleashed.
outlaw08
AG
Fun to see my name amongst that list!
EliteElectric
here we go again, just going to leave this here

https://www.kbtx.com/2022/10/11/bryan-police-chief-says-defunding-claims-made-by-mayoral-candidate-inaccurate/
trouble
AG
Sounds like someone needs to learn the difference between stating something as fact vs his opinion.

toolshed
AG
He stirs the pot so much and comes off as a nut such that even though I don't always agree with the group currently in the majority, I can't imagine ever thinking Sutherland would be a good choice got leading the city.

I think the pot stirring gets him what he wants, which is news coverage.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Who keeps funding that unhinged dude?

I would expect more from a Marine officer.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Seeing a Beto and a Southerland sign in the same yard kinda speaks for itself.
Rapier108
I've always enjoyed voting against Southerland. Sadly, won't get to do that again since I'm in CS now.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
EliteElectric
Bobby and I have worked side by side on various civic and charitable causes over the years and I have seen his servant's heart and willingness to go to great lengths to help others in action many times. As a volunteer, supporter and as a donor. His resume speaks for itself.

I believe him to be a wise, inclusive, and fair man. In fact, I have witnessed it. As a lifelong resident of Bryan, he has a vested interest in the progress the city has made, and the knowledge and prudence to safely navigate those challenges the city may face and to continue that progress we have seen in our city.

As a business owner he understands that although we may be two cities, we are one ever connected community. He has the experience, and maybe more importantly, he has forged great relationships with members of the community and leadership in College Station, the Brazos County, the surrounding counties, and Texas A&M to keep the city of Bryan on track as the leader in local industry and growth in the region. Again, his reputation and resume speak for themselves, there is not much that I can say or that needs to be said to prove he has what it takes to be a great mayor. Please join me in supporting him and voting for him this November.
EliteElectric
and a letter to the Eagle I wrote in support of him for city council, every word still rings true.

Quote:

Prudent, disciplined, thoughtful and caring

I have known Bobby Gutierrez for the better part of three decades. I have worked with Bobby on charity committees, fundraisers, charity events, appointed boards and many other things benefitting the cities of Bryan and College Station, Bryan schools and the entire community in either official or volunteer roles. I always have found Bobby to be prudent, disciplined, thoughtful, caring and plugged into the community.

The sad truth is, when there is charity work to be done, the type of work that nobody sees or gets credit for, there is a small group of around 50 people who consistently show up and work and/or donate. Bobby is well-known for being there when it counts -- no matter who gets the credit for it -- with his labor and his dollars. Bobby gives back to his community and does so selflessly and consistently and has for decades.

Bobby is also a native of Bryan, a lifelong resident who cares deeply about his beloved city and the people who live, work and visit here. He has a five-decade vested interest in this city and community.

The truth is there are a million qualifications I could cite and a million adjectives I could use to describe Bobby Gutierrez, but the one I choose, the one that means the most to me is friend. Bobby is my friend. I know him well, I trust him and his decision-making. He is the right candidate and I would recommend anyone who resides in our district to vote for him.

It my great pleasure to endorse Bobby Gutierrez for Bryan City Council, Single Member District #3.
duffelpud
AG
"What's this button do?"
EliteElectric
EliteElectric
Scoopen Skwert said:

Who keeps funding that unhinged dude?

I would expect more from a Marine officer.
https://wtaw.com/bryan-city-council-majority-criticize-a-mayoral-candidates-campaign-ad/

Who keeps funding him is likely other unhinged persons.

What gets me is he is running on "I'm not in development or real-estate", which to my knowledge no sitting member is in. I guess his insinuation is that all of current elected councilmembers are crooked, which is folly and also patently factually incorrect.

There is tangible evidence and proof that the city of Bryan has performed wonderfully over the past 2 decades and that is due largely to mayors and council majorities that rejected his comic book accounting and hot take comments. Remember when taxpayers paid the bill for his audit of Traditions? His fact finding mission where the only real information that the auditor discovered is that Mr. Southerland didn't understand accounting or property valuation. The meeting he stormed out of like a petulant child that didn't get his way?

I hope people don't vote for this troll, but some will.
toolshed
AG
My concern is Hairston and Gutierrez split too many votes and we wind up with cray cray in charge…

This election seems much more important than the last few, with the mayoral election and it seems more than usual council seats up for grabs. Or maybe I just have a bad memory, which is also true.
EliteElectric
toolshed said:

My concern is Hairston and Gutierrez split too many votes and we wind up with cray cray in charge…

This is me as well. I am supporting Bobby, but the thought of he and Hairston splitting the normal vote while Mad Mike wins the fringe vote and wins by default is pretty scary.
trouble
AG
I think we're more likely to have a runoff between Bobby and Brent than Mike getting enough votes to win.
outlaw08
AG
Hairston is a developer.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.