College Station Mayoral and City Council Elections

8,244 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ElephantRider
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I wanted to start a thread to post about the upcoming mayoral and council elections for both Bryan and College Station and get people's thoughts on the different candidates. Feel free to post information on the candidate's positions on different issues - taxes, development, Northgate and policing, etc.

College Station

Mayor
Rick Robison
John Nichols
Jacob Randolph

Council Place 1
Mark Smith
Aron Collins

Council Place 2
William Wright
David Levine

Council Place 5
Bob Yancy
Willie Blackmon
Nicole Gallucci

I am interested in people's thoughts about Place 1 candidates in CS. For Place 2, it seems like Wright is the favorite of council members like Harvell. In Place 5, looking at the social media (personal and campaign) for Nicole Gallucci is enough to convince me not to vote for her. Most of her posts are far left things or from the Democrat Party of Brazos County. No thank you, ma'am. I imagine Yancy will win that seat.

[Thank you for this effort but combine threads become impossible to follow and we ask that you please start another thread for Bryan. You posted about College Station candidates in this thread so we will leave this one focused on those races. Thank you. -Staff]
BCSWguru
[we are just going to ban you from now on when you get a post edited or removed on this forum. -Staff]
Captn_Ag05
AG
Created a separate thread for Bryan. Sorry for the confusion and causing everyone's posts to get deleted.
UmustBKidding
Last time around Wright was singing the praises of Crompton and the CSAN crowd, so to me that indicates Wright is the wrong choice. So it Levine for me.
Hornbeck
Levine is a good guy to chat with. He's got my vote as well.
doubledog
Jon Nichols (place 5 to Mayor). I consider Mr. Nichols as an incumbent.
Anna Molly
Mark Smith, as former Public Works Director, has knowledge of city operations and has been in front of Council. He will be able to hit the ground running, with his background. But I don't think anyone, outside of people he already knows, knows he's running.

I've never heard of Aron Collins, but he sure is getting his name in front of eyeballs, with signs everywhere, which is what you need to do if you're running for office.
australopithecus robustus
Are any of these people business people? (Finger crossed). We need that so very badly
George Costanza
I know Yancy, Collins and Levine are business people. Not sure about the others.
George Costanza
Captn … can you add in the school board races?
camra
Yancy is one of the good ones for sure
VetSurg
AG
George Costanza said:

Captn … can you add in the school board races?
WTM
Slightly off topic, but I would like to see single member districts brought to College Station Council as a ballot initiative (maybe keep 2 at large spots). There is so very little diversity in any way, be it racial, economic, background, geographical etc. This is where I think Bryan clearly has a better system. Some people may not like having to "deal" with members from a district, or feel that it is fair that one district can have 10,000 votes cast while another has 200, but each part of the city has representation by someone who lives there and there is a lot to be said for that.

The Brazos Kid
australopithecus robustus said:

Are any of these people business people? (Finger crossed). We need that so very badly

Levine certainly is. I've known him for many years and is highly successful in his business.
aggiepaintrain
AG
I'm voting for Aron Collins and Lavine and anyone but Nichols
MsDoubleD81
AG
Same Willie Blackmon who ran track?
MS08
AG
Have met and had chats with Levine, Yancy, and Collins at City Hall while I have been up there for approval for this or that. Levine is a general manager of a car dealership and has a business mind and actually cares about development as it relates to economics. Wright is backed by CSAN. I am going with Levine in favor of being pro-business.

Collins is a business owner so I appreciate that and the fact that he is an entrepreneur. Him or Smith will be upgrades there so I am pleased.

Yancy is a no nonsense guy and just wants the City to have success and grow and develop. Good head on his shoulders so he gets my vote.

Nichols will be an upgrade from current Mayor. Nichols is willing to make a call and stand behind it even if its not popular; current Mayor never liked being the deciding/swing vote.

The upcoming council elections should positively shake things up for the good of the city.
MS08
AG
FWIW, CSAN is behind Mark Smith, so, as I kind of alluded to above, I will be going with Collins. And, yes, CSAN is behind Nichols as Mayor, but my first hand experience with Nichols is that he is willing to make decisions based on reasonableness and economics (his background) and not emotion and nonsensical ideals. Also, he is mayor pro temp so will be hard to unseat him with an unknown.

Mayor - Nichols
Council Seats - Yancy, Collins, and Levine

If that happens, our City will develop in a way that fits the trajectory we are currently on. If not, development will likely be stifled (already been happening) and we will miss out on a real growth opportunity over next 3-5 years.
AC Hopper
S
Anna Molly said:

Mark Smith, as former Public Works Director, has knowledge of city operations and has been in front of Council. He will be able to hit the ground running, with his background. But I don't think anyone, outside of people he already knows, knows he's running.

I've never heard of Aron Collins, but he sure is getting his name in front of eyeballs, with signs everywhere, which is what you need to do if you're running for office.
Nichols
Smith
Wright
Yancy ...

would be great for College Station!
Captn_Ag05
AG
Forum Tonight

https://www.kbtx.com/2022/10/25/bcs-chamber-candidate-forum-feature-brazos-county-college-station-races/

Place 1 Candidates
https://www.kbtx.com/2022/10/24/meet-candidates-college-station-city-council-place-1/

Place 2 Candidates
https://www.kbtx.com/2022/10/25/meet-candidates-college-station-city-council-place-2/
MS08
AG
Good morning! FWIW, based on my experience of getting hammered at Council even after going above and beyond to appease the public around the proposed developments, here is your City Council voting recommendations:
Economic development, business minded, and to make sure decisions are made reasonably.

Mayor: Nichols
Council Seats: Levine, Collins, Yancy

Mangan for CSISD

Thanks and Get to those polls!
Captn_Ag05
AG
Place 5
https://www.kbtx.com/2022/10/27/meet-candidates-college-station-city-council-place-5/
Captn_Ag05
AG
Yancy seems like the clear choice for Place 5.
Rapier108
Mike Southerland is running ads for Nicole Gallucci.

That should be the kiss of death for anyone's campaign.
EliteElectric
MS08
AG
Council Seats:

Levine
Collins
Yancy
Mayor - Nichols (don't think an unknown will be able to unseat pro-tem)

Cast your votes!
TyHolden
AG
Who did everybody vote for? I don't have time to read everything. I know which posters I trust
MS08
AG
Mark Smith won over Collins by about 3000 votes. Place 1
Wright won over Levine by about 1000 votes. Place 2
Those are both 4 year terms starting now.

Nichols received 63.5% of the votes for Mayor and will serve a 4 year term starting now.

His council seat was won by Yancy with him receiving 52.4% of the votes. His 2 year term starts now.

Mangan did not unseat the incumbent McAdams for School Board Place 5. McAdams received about 2000 more votes.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Quote:

Mangan did not unseat the incumbent McAdams for School Board Place 5. McAdams received about 2000 more votes.

Was kinda surprised by this. Not that McAdams won but won so so easily.

I found it kinda odd that Mangan planted herself right in front of the McAdams sign at the polling place yesterday and held her big sign up over McAdams'. I mean I know candidates are present there, but her particular placement was weird to me.
A Net Full of Jello
AG
I was more disappointed than surprised. But, with people like McAdams on the school board, it just makes me grateful Texas is a state that makes it so easy to homeschool.
4lilmonkeys
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Quote:

Was kinda surprised by this. Not that McAdams won but won so so easily.

I found it kinda odd that Mangan planted herself right in front of the McAdams sign at the polling place yesterday and held her big sign up over McAdams'. I mean I know candidates are present there, but her particular placement was weird to me.
That's the behavior that ultimately made me decide against voting for Mangan. I skipped that race altogether. I didn't know anything about Martinez and McAdams (who I like personally) ticked me off with the COVID crap- just didn't seem like anyone running actually represented us.
befitter
McAdams back on the school board is unfortunate but I'm not surprised. She had a strong following.
wasntme
I was shocked and disappointed by the results of this race as well. I thought for sure the majority would want McAdams out and Mangan in.
jac4
AG
Pro lockdown candidates won across the country. I guess voters want more the same
MS08
AG
Disappointed on a local and national level.
Was hoping to get another pro-economic development council seat in either Collins or Levine.
CSAN runs the neighborhood integrity platform, which is noble, but then development gets stifled whilst the local government continues to want to spend money. Not a good recipe for economic growth
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.