The "Texas Tribune" Eagle newspaper...

3,280 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by halibut sinclair
GSS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Or is it the "Eagle, featuring the Texas Tribune"? Regardless, the reliance by the Eagle on an agenda-driven "news" site, is, IMO, another nail in the coffin of credible journalism.

The Tribune claims to be "nonpartisan", but is molded after 60 Minutes style of reporting: selective information, often "true", but also incomplete. And a complete avoidance of critical stories about one (un-named) political party..

And I'm prepared for the "who reads the Eagle / there's still a newspaper?" responses....
Muzzleblast
We haven't had a local paper for years.
The Eagle is just cut n paste from the AP (American Propaganda) and the Texas Tribune. The Texas Tribune was funded by George Soros to get it going.
Gaslighting the Brazos Valley every day.
Belton Ag
AG
Neither the newspaper or KBTX are particularly reflective of the market they serve. It's weird but welcome to mass media in 2022.
halibut sinclair
The AP and Texas Tribune both lean to the left-center and have an above average rating for factual reporting, according to many online sources. They are far from MSNBC, CNN and that ilk.
FlyRod
Quote:

The Texas Tribune was funded by George Soros to get it going.

It was funded by an Austin entrepreneur named John Thornton.
EBrazosAg
AG
KBTX outsources much of their content to the Tx Tribune and what they don't is given to their local reporters trying to build a portfolio of content to submit to the Tribune for a job IMHO. Very sad state of affairs. The Tribune tries to "cover" their left bend with factual reporting on some issues that is pretty good. Very NYT like - just cause the NYT does some good stories and investigations doesn't change who they are overall.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
GSS
halibut sinclair said:

The AP and Texas Tribune both lean to the left-center and have an above average rating for factual reporting, according to many online sources. They are far from MSNBC, CNN and that ilk.

The "news" sites you reference set a very low bar, for real news. The Tribune claiming to be nonpartisan is my heartburn, and the former editor (canned from his job) of the Eagle agreed some of their stories had a clear bias...and I guess the readers had to determine which ones
instapt
Or maybe you're no longer reflective of the market they serve. It's great, and welcome to 2022!
halibut sinclair
instapt said:

Or maybe you're no longer reflective of the market they serve. It's great, and welcome to 2022!

Rusty?
Bucketrunner
No. They absolutely read the room wrong. If they were legitimate journalists, they would present both sides, as the Brazos Valley has a high concentration of educated citizens who can be trusted to make a decision when presented with both sides. Instead, they resort to half truths and trickery. And they are dying because of it.

Haven't bought a paper in years. Recognize the Texas Tribune bs on KBTX. It's wise to only watch the sports and weather.
Belton Ag
AG
instapt said:

You might wish for that to true but it's just not.
Justin2010
AG
The Eagle should really try and up their local reporting. I had a subscription for several years... But then realized 75% was AP content that you can get for free online.

Maybe cut back to 3 days per week print and make it completely local. I feel like that may actually help subscriptions.
scd88
AG
Most media leans left; lately they've leaned even harder. There is little balance anymore but nothing will come of it because it's the inmates running the asylum.

The main steam media and newspapers have a clear agenda. Go read a Chronicle article from 15 years ago and compare it today. It's disturbing.
George Costanza
So what do we do for local journalism?
Stupe
S
WTAW

I watch KBTX when there is a weather issue because Shel does an outstanding job.
RafterAg223
AG
instapt said:

Yeah, you are wrong. Get back to everyone here after Election Day. We'll talk about what market is being served after Soyboy Beta loses Brazos County by 30.
TAMU1990
AG
instapt said:

HAHAHAHA

Checked the voting patterns of the Brazos Valley? I'm not renewing my subscription to the Eagle-Texas Tribune. The editorials are hard left. I read a few paragraphs of most editorials and stop because it's propaganda. It's a shame because I want to read local news stories and HS sports. I will get that info off of the internet.

And KBTX is just as ridiculous. I don't watch as much as I used to. The climate change bs and Beto fawning in 2018 was laughable. Shell acts like it's never been hot. We have a drought every decade or so. It's not out of the norm. There's plenty of data showing climate change is a grift/power grab. Like I always say... follow the money.

It is a huge problem that such a conservative area can't have a 50/50 newspaper or news station.
PS3D
I'll give Texas Tribune thissometimes they'll list who contributed to the article, I remember at least one in the last two years was Planned Parenthood.

Follow the money.
Stupe
S
Quote:

It is a huge problem that such a conservative area can't have a 50/50 newspaper or news station.
Unfortunately, that's everywhere.

One of the worst decisions that A&M has made was dumping the Journalism department.

KBTX was middle of the road for a long time, but they did the same thing that all of the media people did in 2020. Pushed Covid fear and reported the riots as demonstrations. They also made the Bryan cops look like the bad guys when a bunch of people were setting off explosives in a neighborhood.

Most people that I know don't even watch the broadcasts. They will check online if there is a major story or weather incident, but that's it.

Same with the Eagle. I check the high school sports section online, but there is no way that I'm going to pay to support it.
scd88
AG
I hear this journalism department issue frequently but am not convinced it would have hardly any impact, especially nationally. We are one school.

Plus, there are leftist loons who are professors that still teach at our school. They were there when I went to school and are still present.
TAMU1990
AG
Stupe said:

Quote:

Unfortunately, that's everywhere.

One of the worst decisions that A&M has made was dumping the Journalism department.

KBTX was middle of the road for a long time, but they did the same thing that all of the media people did in 2020. Pushed Covid fear and reported the riots as demonstrations. They also made the Bryan cops look like the bad guys when a bunch of people were setting off explosives in a neighborhood.

Most people that I know don't even watch the broadcasts. They will check online if there is a major story or weather incident, but that's it.

Same with the Eagle. I check the high school sports section online, but there is no way that I'm going to pay to support it.
And the subscription rates are ridiculous. I liked to read about my kids and their friends in the sports section, but it's not worth the money and the aggravation to see propaganda throughout. In addition, the paper is getting smaller with mainly Tribune & AP stories with heavy slants. I can get Aggie content online. I'm done.
CowboysFan979
I will agree with everyone here. WTAW is the only real media outlet we have covering relevant topics from city council meetings, school boards meetings, etc.

We go to the KBTX weather app for weather and Rusty's page for crime news. It's obvious everything else they cover comes from WTAW or TexAgs.

The Eagle is a joke. 'Nuff said.

scd88
AG
One thing about the Eagle. There are some local writers, Alex Miller being one of them. Local kid, went to A&M, and covered sports. Does a great job with the Eagle.

But he isn't the one who pulls the national articles nor does he have anything to do with the editorials. The Eagle does have its good aspects.
Stupe
S
Quote:

And the subscription rates are ridiculous. I liked to read about my kids and their friends in the sports section, but it's not worth the money and the aggravation to see propaganda throughout.
Completely agree. I can ignore the other stuff. I just can't stomach funding it.
Stupe
S
scd88 said:

I hear this journalism department issue frequently but am not convinced it would have hardly any impact, especially nationally. We are one school.

Plus, there are leftist loons who are professors that still teach at our school. They were there when I went to school and are still present.
It would have at the local and state level.
Clucky
Love how people complain about and condemn local journalism for not being local enough, and then brag about not supporting it in the same breath.
Belton Ag
AG
Clucky said:

Love how people complain about and condemn local journalism for not being local enough, and then brag about not supporting it in the same breath.

Why would one support something they complain about?
Hornbeck
I think his point was, don't bemoan the lack of local journalists in the same exchange talking about how you don't support it.

Me personally, I'm a pretty middle of the road, fiscal conservative kind of person. I don't mind local journalism, they throw too many softballs to the local politicos, IMHO, though.
TAMU1990
AG
Clucky said:

I've been supporting it for over 15 years. Is 15 years enough time to show me what you can do?
FlyRod
Anyone know how many hard copy and/or online subscribers The Eagle has? I'd love to see how this has changed over the years.
Stupe
S
Clucky said:

That's not the main reason they are getting condemned.
halibut sinclair
I have subscribed to The Eagle since 1991. Gone digital the past couple of years and it's 25 bucks a month. We also subscribe to the Houston Chronicle digital edition and it's 4 bucks a month.
EBrazosAg
AG
Recent record. Had to go 9 stories deep on KBTX site this pm to hit a Tribune hit piece. Usually within 3-4 stories.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
halibut sinclair
So, my 12-year-old inner child thought this headline was humorous in today's Eagle:

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.