Which props are you voting for?

5,801 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Brian Alg
Tumble Weed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I voted early. I voted No across the board.
The Brazos Kid
It may or may not be trivial… I'm probably just splitting hairs but I find it interesting this Prop A/B mailer has "before/after" pics looking north from SW Pkwy.

On the other side it mentions the growth the past 10 years. Now it might be construed that the "before pic" was from 2012 or so.

If you look closely, you can see the marquee sign for At Home on the right. They opened their doors October 2018 so the pic can't be from 2012.

My guess is the "before" pic was shot a couple of Sunday mornings ago and the after pic is a typical Tuesday at 4:45.

Something needs to be done but let's be honest in what we put out there…

Stucco
Who is Brazos County TRIP '22 and why are they so interested in these props passing? Surely it is made up of cost-conscious voters and local residents genuinely concerned about our traffic congestion issues.
dstarr6442
AG
I heard somewhere (haven't verified it) COCS has the highest per capita parks and recreation budget in the nation. Don't know where that money goes, but it's definitely not going to maintain existing facilities. Until they learn how to use it better to maintain what they already have, they will get a no from me on every prop related to parks. Things like, I don't know, mowing the sports fields they already have often enough so that we don't have shin high rye grass everywhere all the time, or just maybe we get grass established so that there isn't eroded dirt on every sidewalk they maintain. With the budget they operate in, every park should look like an arboretum, not a highway rest stop.
oldag00
AG
Here's their website. I don't find any information that would educate me as to who or what they are.

Brazos County Trip 22
dallasiteinsa02
The website used a proxy to hide who owns it. They don't list an address on any of their publications. They are not officially registered as an entity with the State of Texas. Someone is working hard to hide their identity.
The Brazos Kid
Looks like its the county commissioners running this thing...

(KBTX) Published: Jul. 28, 2022 at 5:59 PM CDT

BRYAN, Texas (KBTX) - They say traffic is one of the side effects of growth, and with that growth comes the need to improve roads.
Brazos County Commissioners met Thursday afternoon in a special workshop session to unveil it's T.R.I.P 22 Transportation Road Improvement Program 2022.
County leaders say the goal of the road and transportation bond is to identify and prioritize road and transportation projects that reduce congestion on county roads while increasing public safety and the quality of life for those that live, work and travel through the county.
According to data compiled by the Brazos County Commissioners Court and the U.S. Census, an estimated 11 people move into Brazos County every day. Statistics show Brazos County's population grew 18.9% since 2010, making it rank routinely in the top 20 fastest-growing counties in the LoneStar state.

Brian Alg
The flyer they sent me had an address at the top. I looked it up and it's a politically active business owner

I think their tactics are dishonest and I think that's reason enough to vote against what they are pushing

But they don't seem to be super sneaky (edit: about who is pushing it)
Brian Alg

Brazos Coalition for Responsible Government
halibut sinclair
Say right there on the website that it's the Brazos County Regional Mobility Authority.
Brian Alg
What do you mean it's the BCRMA?

They are wanting to put in the taxes so the BCRMA has more money to spend. But the RMA isn't who is sending the dishonest flyers (as far as I know).

If the RMA was funding it, that should be a huge scandal. I suspect the TRIP 22 people are saying nice things about the BCRMA so people will vote yes. But I doubt TRIP 22 is run by the RMA (though it may have some of the same people, I don't know)
Brian Alg

Expert Analysis
AG
In noticed the same about the images used in the mailer. It is not honest. It looks like it is being promoted by the County and the RMA.

Other issues include:
Constant promotion of less traffic. Traffic will not be reduced. Congestion may be reduced but the number of vehicles traveling will not for most of these projects.

Won't raise taxes. Does the bond not indicate they will levy a tax? You cannot pay off a 100million bond without raising taxes unless your taxes are already way too high. A higher registration fee is effectively a tax increase that inequitably affects lower income residents (this is a small amount though).

There is no mention in the Prop A information that 20% of the funds are not for transportation at all.

The list of proposed projects are for the most part garbage. Other than the Bush/Wellborn local match money, I would not list any of the others on my radar of highly needed transportation improvements. The SH40 project as described is not clear, the only work needed there is a grade separation at Arrington which doesn't fit within the limits described. If they wanted to do something useful they should have been working on a ramp from south wellborn to SH40 instead of putting in a traffic signal. TxDOT has been working on the listed SH30 project for a while, I think this would be useful but not sure how close they are to working on it.
Brian Alg
Because of the speculation about BCRMA being behind the flyers, I called BCRMA. Bart, who answered the phone at the BCRMA, said that to his knowledge there is no connection between the BCRMA and this TRIP 22 group that is pushing for County Props A and B.
Brian Alg

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.