City of College Station Votes to Solve Climate Change

2,457 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Hornbeck
officerfred
How long do you want to ignore this user?

The City Council of Austin, er, College Station, is at it again. Choosing to spend more than $3 million to combat global warming through a tree planting program in College Station.

Many of us recall Prof. Crompton leading a contentious vote to plant thousands of trees on HWY 6 around ten years ago, at a cost of millions of dollars to taxpayers. However, as temperatures continue to rise, I assume that "planting" was ineffective. Perhaps the science was flawed.

Of course, Dr. Crompton did the math on this recent scheme, and it is only a couple of dollars per month in perpetuity for each household. It's not a big deal.

Nobody inquired about operations or maintenance that will be required. How much will it cost to weed wack, mow, water, and prune the trees forevermore?

Take a look at the "debate" around 30 minutes in: https://collegestationtx.civicclerk.com/Web/Player.aspx?id=2348&key=-1&mod=-1&mk=-1&nov=0

instapt
This is fantastic! Glad to see this being considered. Lots of environmental benefits that outweigh the costs (https://www.epa.gov/heatislands/using-trees-and-vegetation-reduce-heat-islands).
officerfred
Spoken like someone who has their taxes "frozen". Welcome to Austin.
AgTrip
They plant trees in new medians so you can't turn left. They then dig the trees up 6 months later to widen the road due to poor planning.
phillytex24
Climate change is a total farce, BUT I love to see tree planting so, I can definitely support this. I just hope they plant native Post Oaks- or Loblolly Pines! We need more trees!
EriktheRed
AG
We are west of I-45, NO pine trees!

Bring on all the oaks though
Captn_Ag05
AG
If you believe in human caused global warming, a few trees isn't going to do anything to help when you have countries like China polluting the environment in numbers that blow the US away.

Trees look nice and there are many worse ways that council has wasted taxpayer dollars, so I am not going to lose sleep over this. I'd rather they plant some trees than buy another store at the mall.
George Costanza
Crazy thought for everyone who supports this …. chip in and plant a bunch of trees. Don't force your neighbors to pay for them with their tax dollars.

Just because I like something doesn't mean I should use the power of government to make others pay for it.
techno-ag
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

If you believe in human caused global warming, a few trees isn't going to do anything to help when you have countries like China polluting the environment in numbers that blow the US away.

Trees look nice and there are many worse ways that council has wasted taxpayer dollars, so I am not going to lose sleep over this. I'd rather they plant some trees than buy another store at the mall.
To be fair, the name of the place is Post Oak mall. That should count for something.
Hornbeck
With no Post Oak *TREES*

How did post oak trees grow here 300 years ago with no government to plant them?
maroon barchetta
Hornbeck said:

With no Post Oak *TREES*

How did post oak trees grow here 300 years ago with no government to plant them?

It's possible that Crompton was here to plant them after he headed west from the colonies.
Justin2010
AG
The more trees the better. The prettiest areas of town are the ones with mature trees everywhere.
threecatcorner
I thought the trees on the highway didn't last because they didn't figure in watering them.

Anyone with a good memory remember if that was the case?
JohnLA762
AG
George Costanza said:

Crazy thought for everyone who supports this …. chip in and plant a bunch of trees. Don't force your neighbors to pay for them with their tax dollars.

Just because I like something doesn't mean I should use the power of government to make others pay for it.

Yes it does, and we should like it!
Hornbeck
maroon barchetta said:

Hornbeck said:

With no Post Oak *TREES*

It's possible that Crompton was here to plant them after he headed west from the colonies.

Johnny Acornhead?
KidDoc
AG
EriktheRed said:

Ever been to Bastrop? Pines everywhere except when they burn down.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
duffelpud
AG
Ever fly in and out of Easterwood? Look down next time; we already live in an freaking urban forest!
"What's this button do?"
PS3D
EriktheRed said:

Why do pine trees not do so well up in Brazos County? Is it the soil or just being dryer than Montgomery and Harris County?

And I know they never were good performers, but we've lost so many palm trees….
woodiewood1
phillytex24 said:

Climate change is a total farce, BUT I love to see tree planting so, I can definitely support this. I just hope they plant native Post Oaks- or Loblolly Pines! We need more trees!
Unfortunately, they seem to have a love affair with cypress trees which are butt ugly in the winter time.

Loblolly pine would not be a good choice in our tight clay and alkalinity of the soil. Post oaks are extremely sensitive to changes in soil moisture.

I would plant tree height crape myrtle, Shurmard red oak, Chinese Pistache, cedar elm, and bur oak would be great choices.
techno-ag
AG
woodiewood1 said:

phillytex24 said:

Unfortunately, they seem to have a love affair with cypress trees which are butt ugly in the winter time.

Loblolly pine would not be a good choice in our tight clay and alkalinity of the soil. Post oaks are extremely sensitive to changes in soil moisture.

I would plant tree height crape myrtle, Shurmard red oak, Chinese Pistache, cedar elm, and bur oak would be great choices.
Username checks out.
Hornbeck
Surely one of the folks on city council knows folks in either the forestry or horticulture departments to go ask….
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.