A&M and Blinn Fall 2022 Enrollment Numbers

2,006 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BiochemAg97
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
According to the enrollment snapshot numbers released this week, A&M's number of students for just the College Station and the Health Science Center is up 1,413 from 2021. Blinn Bryan and the BLINN RELLIS campus enrollment is up 768 students from 2021. So, there are an additional 2,181 college students in town compared to this time last year.

Given the talk on here about the new mid-rises on Northgate, by my count, the towers under construction or soon to start have a total of 1,832 beds. Given the expected further growth of RELLIS and programs that A&M plans to add or expand, these new towers will be needed to meet the demand.
Quote:

Texas A&M releases fall enrollment numbers that are reported to the state legislature and the Texas coordinating board of higher education.

Headcount on the 20th official class day at the College Station and health science center (HSC) campuses had a combined total of 71,871. That is up from 70,458 last fall.

https://wtaw.com/texas-am-releases-fall-enrollment-numbers/

Quote:

The Blinn College District Board of Trustees received a preliminary enrollment report Tuesday indicating that fall 2022 registration has increased over last year's figures.

Dr. Becky McBride, Vice Chancellor for Student Services, shared that as of Monday, Sept. 12, Blinn's unofficial fall enrollment was 17,255 students, a 2.52% increase from the same time period last year. This included a 3.08% increase in contact hours, which is included in the formula to determine state funding.

The preliminary enrollment figures include:

https://www.blinn.edu/news/2022/09/blinn-board-of-trustees-receives-positive-fall-enrollment-report.html
Mathguy64
AG
Double what it was when I started. And I thought it was big back then.
Captn_Ag05
AG
It is a lot of students, but the growth appears to match the growth of the state. It is around the same percentage as the population of the state as a whole as it was in 2000 when there were around 44,000 students enrolled.
techno-ag
AG
Biggest university in the country. Gig 'em.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_public_university_campuses_by_enrollment
D_Wag97
skeetboy3
AG
Some of those will be dual enrollees but still massive. Have the numbers for the other system schools at RELLIS been released?
BQwolf05
AG
Hear Blinn TEAM is around 600 this year. Dont know about Engineering Academy.
woodiewood1
Way too big. Classes of 200 to 400+ is not teaching, it's presenting. A student could just watch a YouTube video of the class and be just as beneficial. In many instances, A&M is a diploma mill.

The should have capped enrollment at about 40,000 and built additional regional colleges across the state.

cj774
AG
woodiewood1 said:

Way too big. Classes of 200 to 400+ is not teaching, it's presenting. A student could just watch a YouTube video of the class and be just as beneficial. In many instances, A&M is a diploma mill.

The should have capped enrollment at about 40,000 and built additional regional colleges across the state.

As much as I don't like it, this is probably accurate.
AG81
AG
woodiewood1 said:

Bovine manure. You couldn't get in to this "diploma mill", and I'd bet there are May graduates now who make more in their first year than you did this year.

I get you don't like how big it is. But that's an opinion. A&M not only produces a superior product compared to other universities, it also produces good citizens of strong character. To call A&M a "diploma mill" is, at best, intellectual dishonesty.

I wonder how many who complain about this participate in the Big Event? You don't like how big A&M is, move. There's clearly a community better suited for you.
woodiewood1
AG81 said:

woodiewood1 said:

Bovine manure. You couldn't get in to this "diploma mill", and I'd bet there are May graduates now who make more in their first year than you did this year.

I get you don't like how big it is. But that's an opinion. A&M not only produces a superior product compared to other universities, it also produces good citizens of strong character. To call A&M a "diploma mill" is, at best, intellectual dishonesty.

I wonder how many who complain about this participate in the Big Event? You don't like how big A&M is, move. There's clearly a community better suited for you.
I have a Master's from A&M, and was in a PhD program until I got sick, and was on the faculty as an adjunct instructor and taught classes at A&M off and on for 27 years. I taught junior and senior classes from 3 students to about 45. The smaller classes of around 20 were much better classes with interaction from the students.

Classes of 300 to 500 are just too big.

Yes, I guess I could have got into A&M.

I made over $100,000 this year. Some years in the past I made close to $200,000.

Obviously, 99% of what on these forums are opinions.

Have a great day!
BiochemAg97
AG
woodiewood1 said:

Sure, but the same could have been said for the classes of 200 when enrollment was 40,000. That is why all those 100 level math and science classes had lecture of hundreds and recitations of smaller groups. It isn't like all classes are 200-400 students.
woodiewood1
BiochemAg97 said:

woodiewood1 said:

Way too big. Classes of 200 to 400+ is not teaching, it's presenting. A student could just watch a YouTube video of the class and be just as beneficial. In many instances, A&M is a diploma mill. True i agree. I was just used to having a couple of dozen students max and had a lot of disussion and student interaxtion. No T/F or multiple guess queations but shout "what if" questions. I even gave half credit if they were wrong in their analysis but the answer was thought out.

Sure, but the same could have been said for the classes of 200 when enrollment was 40,000. That is why all those 100 level math and science classes had lecture of hundreds and recitations of smaller groups. It isn't like all classes are 200-400 students.
woodiewood1
woodiewood1 said:

BiochemAg97 said:

woodiewood1 said:

Way too big. Classes of 200 to 400+ is not teaching, it's presenting. A student could just watch a YouTube video of the class and be just as beneficial. In many instances, A&M is a diploma mill. True i agree. I was just used to having a couple of dozen students max and had a lot of disussion and student interaxtion. No T/F or multiple guess queations but shout "what if" questions. I even gave half credit if they were wrong in their analysis but the answer was thought out.

I agree. I just was used to a max of a couple of dozen students where they was discussion with the students and between students about the topic being discussed. I had no T/F or multiple guess questions on exams but were short paragraph answers to "what would you do" or "what if" questions. I told the students that even if they were wrong with their answer but made a logical approach I would give them half credit. My student reviews at the end consistently made mention that the professor made us think.

Was no bashing the quality of A&M graduates as accused of above, but my opinion is that smaller classes have direct interaction and discussion which is good. Can't do that with 400 students.

Either way, BTH out of the hogs!

BiochemAg97
AG
woodiewood1 said:

woodiewood1 said:

BiochemAg97 said:

woodiewood1 said:

I agree. I just was used to a max of a couple of dozen students where they was discussion with the students and between students about the topic being discussed. I had no T/F or multiple guess questions on exams but were short paragraph answers to "what would you do" or "what if" questions. I told the students that even if they were wrong with their answer but made a logical approach I would give them half credit. My student reviews at the end consistently made mention that the professor made us think.

Was no bashing the quality of A&M graduates as accused of above, but my opinion is that smaller classes have direct interaction and discussion which is good. Can't do that with 400 students.

Either way, BTH out of the hogs!

Absolutely agree. I much preferred by smaller upper classes and some of my early honors classes that were smaller. On the other hand, I had some large classes (Psych 101 for example) that I liked getting lost in the crowd. But they would have been frustrating if I struggled in them.

Point is, growing the size of the student body hasn't really changed that as the size of the faculty has increased as well. The stats from 2019 for in person only still show an average undergrad class size across the whole University of <50. Lots of small classes to make up for those giant ones.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.