South Padre Island in December

1,323 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by rptsAg03
michellecan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anybody ever been? Best place to stay? Eat? Planning a 4 day getaway in December. Recs are appreciated.

TIA
EclipseAg
AG
We had a great trip there a couple of Decembers ago. Not too crowded ... just the snowbirds. It was relatively easy to get around compared to summertime.

We really liked Padre Island Brewing Co. More of a restaurant than a brewery, but the food was good.

We also did the more touristy haunts, like Blackbeard's.

Had a good breakfast at Grapevine.

JMac03
AG
There are several south padre post here fairly recently if you search.

I particularly like staying at the Courtyard by Marriott. It's a little further down the strip however it has a nice pool, outside bar and staircase down to the beach with outdoor shower/hose to wash off the sand. It's also right by the pier so we like to sit under it so I don't bake in the sun.
Aggie
AG
Highly recommend Sea Ranch and Meatball Cafe
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Sapphire towers is a good spot for a 2-3 BR condominium that has both gulf (sunrise) and bay (sunset) private patios. You can see SpaceX with naked eye and watch launches/tests if you're there on those days.

Yelp restaurant reviews are pretty accurate as are the ones above. Most have specials in the winter months
Gabriella's is nice, for Italian food...real family atmosphere.

Dirty Al's for shrimp and oyster dishes.

At the far southern end of the island, in the park there, there's a funky little oceanic museum with all sorts of sea critters.

The sea turtle rescue place there is kind of cool and worth a visit.
michellecan
These are all great and I thank yall! Where do yall stay?
rptsAg03
My favorite place to stay is the Hilton Garden Inn on the very north of the beach side strip. It's far enough down that you have great views of the beach and access to the beach with outdoor showers to get the sand off of your legs before going back in, a little quieter down there too. There is a La Quinta right next door too that looks nice but I've never stayed there. Visit the birding center across the street on the bay side, there will be much to see in the winter- my kids love it. Turtle center is always fun and if you have time, look up Sandy Feet sandcastle lessons- such a fun experience, we all loved it. Blackbeards is a classic must have but Clayton's is right next door to the Hilton and some of our family enjoys that place too. My mom likes Dirty Al's as well. Hope you have a wonderful trip!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.