Once again thank you Steve Aldrich and Russ Ford. [Staff Edit about lock]

8,337 Views | 109 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ChampsAg
hopeandrealchange
How long do you want to ignore this user?
cslifer said:

So your idea of a good financial decision is to sell a property at a 90% loss to an entity that would not pay property taxes on prime real estate? Then you would compound that by moving into currently tax paying commercial real estate thus removing that from the tax rolls as well? That idea pretty much says all we need to know about your financial acumen.

Sir you apparently have not been keeping up with current events.
cslifer
Apparently not, I did not know that things had changed and taking a 90% loss on a property and permanently removing it from any possibility of going back on the tax rolls was now a good idea. My bad.
Tibbers
Ok, go ahead and explain why it was a good decision then.
cavscout96
AG
cslifer said:

So your idea of a good financial decision is to sell a property at a 90% loss to an entity that would not pay property taxes on prime real estate? Then you would compound that by moving into currently tax paying commercial real estate thus removing that from the tax rolls as well? That idea pretty much says all we need to know about your financial acumen.
you realize that CoCS has a history of selling prime RE at a loss.... right?
cslifer
Of course, apparently they are just following the will of the voters if the post I was replying to is any evidence.
cavscout96
AG
cslifer said:

Of course, apparently they are just following the will of the voters if the post I was replying to is any evidence.
i think you fail to recognize the hyperbolic sarcasm in the original post.
cslifer
Sadly I doubt it was sarcasm if you read his posting history. The fact he hasn't responded saying it was sarcasm speaks volumes.
hopeandrealchange
cavscout96 said:

cslifer said:

i think you fail to recognize the hyperbolic sarcasm in the original post.

Bingo!
officerfred
These 2 gentleman deserve a medal. I think this may be the first and only "conservative" action taken by a Brazos Valley elected official this year. BRAV FRIKEN O.
Abbyag06
Hubby has been in government purchasing for over 20 years and this is absolutely true! I think it's a total waste of tax payer money and so does he. Our government system is severely broken. I applaud these two men for standing up for the tax payers...more people should do that if they are able to! Property taxes going up 10% for years in a row is not sustainable for average Americans.
Hornbeck
cavscout96 said:

cslifer said:

Well he did ask a legitimate question. What should be cut from the budget if it does in fact go through at the lowest rate? For instance county employees got a cost of living raise, should that be taken back? Should money from savings be spent? If savings is dipped into how do you propose it be replenished?
do we need 80M in savings? Why does it need to be replenished. Maybe it should be something closer to half of that.

My vote would be to start with the health department. Their record hasn't been all that great over the past 30 months....

Yes. They couldn't "afford" another person to keep up with accurate counting, so they just said, "to hell with it"….

Meanwhile…. Judge Peters is sitting on $80 mil.

That. Right. There. Is everything I need to know about the county politicos.
AG81
AG
cslifer said:

I guess the "California" thing is supposed to be some sort of insult? Anyway, reading your response it would appear you are unable to actually name a single item you would change to make it work with the lower rate. Saying "be more efficient" is a cop out, let's hear some specifics on how you would make it work.

No, it was an autocorrect I didn't catch. But in hindsight, it's fitting.

That aside, you seem to think if the tax rate is adjusted to generate exactly what was generated last year ANYTHING needs to be cut. A family faced with flat income and rising costs has to reprioritize on what they spend their money. Why shouldn't the government?

There are those of us who feel raising taxes when inflation outstrips wage increases is morally wrong.

You clearly believe taking more of the taxpayer's money when they have less of it is not just acceptable, but desirable.

It's really that simple.
cslifer
Of course something would have to be cut. As you brought up inflation, I assume you have at least a rudimentary understanding of what that means. If things cost more now than they did last year, but you don't have any more money than last year, something would have to be cut. So what would you cut? It is no different than the family example you used. So where do you start your cuts? Employees? Services?
I'll go first, I would dock the employees who don't show up to work to do their jobs their pay for the time missed, I can name 2 right off the top…
AG81
AG
cslifer said:

Of course something would have to be cut. As you brought up inflation, I assume you have at least a rudimentary understanding of what that means. If things cost more now than they did last year, but you don't have any more money than last year, something would have to be cut. So what would you cut? It is no different than the family example you used. So where do you start your cuts? Employees? Services?
I'll go first, I would dock the employees who don't show up to work to do their jobs their pay for the time missed, I can name 2 right off the top…

You are engaging in intellectual dishonesty. Your argument for raising taxes is my refusal to say what would be cut. My equally intellectually dishonest rebuttal would be justify what was spent last year.

Just be intellectually honest admit that you believe in more bigger government, at the expense of the citizenry keeping more of their own money.
cslifer
It is such a simple question…please explain how you provide the same level of services with no new revenue during an inflationary environment?
hopeandrealchange
cslifer said:

It is such a simple question…please explain how you provide the same level of services with no new revenue during an inflationary environment?

Part of the conservative argument is we don't want or need the same level of service.
I live in rural Brazos county. Several months ago I got a letter from Judge Peters telling me I now need a permit from the county before I can do much of anything on my property.
Government needs to get out of my business at almost all levels and save me a bunch of tax money in doing so. I can get along just fine without a bunch of highly educated simpleton liberals telling me what I can and cannot do.
cslifer
So if I am reading that right, you are admitting there will have to be cuts. That being said, where do you propose the cuts start?
Should they cut officers from the sheriff's office?
Should they reduce road maintenance?
Should they reduce staffing at the jail?
Should they cut inspections to restaurants?
On a side note, we have some property in the county and didn't get that letter. Would you mind posting it or at least the specifics of what it said?
hopeandrealchange
cslifer said:

So if I am reading that right, you are admitting there will have to be cuts. That being said, where do you propose the cuts start?
Should they cut officers from the sheriff's office?
Should they reduce road maintenance?
Should they reduce staffing at the jail?
Should they cut inspections to restaurants?
On a side note, we have some property in the county and didn't get that letter. Would you mind posting it or at least the specifics of what it said?

Absolutely. I hope every day all levels of government would cut their budgets and in doing so prioritize services and expenses.
You keep asking the good folks here what should be cut. I would suggest those decisions would be better made by county officials tasked with the job. The argument here is if two of the commissioners are doing their job by possibly forcing a tax cut.
The point of my posting this topic was to show support for my commissioner and one other for their actions.
If I remember correctly you and I had a similar debate over College Station issues a year or two ago.
We apparently are on totally opposite ends of the spectrum. I wish you well. And please don't get me started on the quality of our mail service.
Rexter
Why the heck is the proposed 2023 budget sticking the taxpayers with a 21% increase? The tax rate should be tied to inflation. This BS of take all we can get is ridiculous.
cslifer
So no copy of the letter that didn't happen for us to see?
hopeandrealchange
cslifer said:

So no copy of the letter that didn't happen for us to see?

Lady we are done. I learned a long time ago that folks that don't trust others are the ones who are untrustworthy. Have a great day.
cslifer
Same to you ma'am. We both that the letter doesn't exist, why even bring it up if you can't produce it? That is a pretty bizarre honestly.
And I just wanted to read what the good judge had to say since nobody else seems to have got one.
hopeandrealchange
cslifer said:

Same to you ma'am. We both that the letter doesn't exist, why even bring it up if you can't produce it? That is a pretty bizarre honestly.
And I just wanted to read what the good judge had to say since nobody else seems to have got one.

One last time.
Put your money where your loud mouth is. I don't tolerate being calked a liar.
I will meet with you at any public spot and share this letter with you and you pay me for my time to show you what an absolute fool you are.

I just pulled it from the file. It was longer ago than I remember.
It is dated January 21, 2021

Put up or shut up.
I can clear my schedule this evening.
cslifer
Just post it. We all know that county judge did not send you a letter that said "Dear Ms. Hopesndrealchange, you need a permit to do dang near anything with your property"…or anything remotely close to that.
That is a story that belongs on Reddit r/thathappened
trouble
AG
Why the hell do you two bozos think it's insulting to call each other lady and ma'am?
AG81
AG
cslifer said:

I will when you justify all expenditures last year. Your argument is that nothing can be cut. The reality is that according to the approved 2022 County budget revenues have increased 50% in the last decade, while the inflation rate has been below 2% for all but this last year. Look it up. There's not anyone in Brazos County who's income has gone up the last 10 years.

Just admit it, you care more about how much money the government can get than how much of their own money citizens keep.

You won't. No matter. You've made it more than clear you favor government over we, the People.

Go troll elsewhere.

You clearly feel there's no reason to limit the amount of money the government confiscated from the citizenry.
cslifer
I have simply been asking you to name ONE item that you would cut…just one! I never said I was justifying the entire budget, I was simply pointing out something will have to be cut, it is second grade math.
ETA: did you really just say nobody in Brazos county has had their income go up the last 10 years? Word of advice, if you don't get a raise in 10 years look for a new job!
hopeandrealchange
cslifer said:

Just post it. We all know that county judge did not send you a letter that said "Dear Ms. Hopesndrealchange, you need a permit to do dang near anything with your property"…or anything remotely close to that.
That is a story that belongs on Reddit r/thathappened

You are partial right. It was not addressed to Ms. Hopeandrealchandrealchange.
Once again I am finished.
cslifer
So why not black out your preferred pronoun and share it with us? There are many posters on here who would find it useful as none of us received it.
AG81
AG
cslifer said:

I have simply been asking you to name ONE item that you would cut…just one! I never said I was justifying the entire budget, I was simply pointing out something will have to be cut, it is second grade math.
ETA: did you really just say nobody in Brazos county has had their income go up the last 10 years? Word of advice, if you don't get a raise in 10 years look for a new job!

No one had their income go up the same rate of increase that County revenues go up.

Since it will make you go away, here's the one thing I'd cut...... any service that benefits you. You can pick!

Enough with you. You value government over citizens.
cslifer
Where should I start? First, Many folks, including many on this board have seen their income increase much more rapidly than the county.
Second, what a childish reply.."anything that benefits you"…really? Roads..law enforcement…they benefit all of us.
You say the county revenues have gone up 50% in a decade, personally I would be looking for a new job if mine hadn't done that or better in the same time frame. I would hope anyone would.
hopeandrealchange
cslifer said:

So why not black out your preferred pronoun and share it with us? There are many posters on here who would find it useful as none of us received it.

If I step up and pay for an upgraded membership here on TexAgs so that I can post this letter would you possibly offer a sincere apology and admit your foolish ways?
cslifer
If you post a letter that says what you claimed it does I absolutely will! I argue plenty on here but if I am wrong I am wrong and will admit it.
I think you can post a picture without upgrading. If you upload to imugar or similar hosting site and post the link it works.
trouble
AG
Yes, you can.
turfman80
AG
The letter in question may be one similar to one I received last January from the county. It states that my property has FEMA designated Flood Hazard Area, and any new development will need a permit from the county. If development occurs without a permit, the landowner would be in violation of the Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance of Brazos County, and may be subject to criminal and civic penalties.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.