More Student Housing on Northgate

16,036 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bones2012
Outlaw0206
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Seems like a stupid place to zone for more student housing. As if it's not already a nightmare around that area, let's add 1000 more students and cars.

Captn_Ag05
AG
Or it is a great location. Put student housing where students go to school and hang out, allowing them to walk or bike to class, bars, and restaurants and keep them from driving into the area from other parts of town.
TAMU1990
AG
So, the convenience store is going away? I used that store quite a bit back in the day.
woodiewood1
Outlaw0206 said:

Seems like a stupid place to zone for more student housing. As if it's not already a nightmare around that area, let's add 1000 more students and cars.

Actually, it's a great place for student housing...keeps about 900 additional cars out of the mess around campus.
AndesAg92
AG
TAMU1990 said:

So, the convenience store is going away? I used that store quite a bit back in the day.

I have a large feeling whoever develops the site will have a convenience store on the ground floor. You'll just lose the gas. Will need to go up with it due to land price and size of the tract anyway.
Angry Beaver
AG
woodiewood1 said:

Actually, it's a great place for student housing...keeps about 900 additional cars out of the mess around campus.

How does this keep 900 additional cars out of the mess around campus? Doesn't this add cars to that area?
AndesAg92
AG
Angry Beaver said:

woodiewood1 said:

How does this keep 900 additional cars out of the mess around campus? Doesn't this add cars to that area?

Many of the students will not bring a car or rarely use it due to the proximity to class, library, bars, etc.

Walkability brother!
scd88
AG
TAMU1990 said:

This is the sad part for me. I went to that convenience store a LOT for the following:

1. Late night frozen death burritos after Duddley's.
2. Eggs for when my Moore Hall mates and I would chuck them into open DG windows, water balloon fights with a launcher, and throwing them at Crocker frat boys who would sunbathe between Crocker and Moore.
3. More death burritos
4. Never for gas

Damn change often sucks.
woodiewood1
Angry Beaver said:

woodiewood1 said:

True, but I doubt that very few students will drive their cars to A&M and park on campus daily to go to class.. The greatest traffic mess is around 8am, noon, and 5pm., Mon through Fri. Most of those students will probably walk or ride a bike to campus. I know there already are hundreds of students now walking across Univ drive all day long.

If the students live farther from campus they could take the bus but also many students drive to campus.

It will add to the congestion around campus for sure. Not sure what else could be built there? Condos?

The 17 story apartment building two blocks to the north is coming along quickly.
FlyRod
This thread would heat up if the alternative was more Ag Shacks in residential neighborhoods.
Fleen
FlyRod said:

This thread would heat up if the alternative was more Ag Shacks in residential neighborhoods.

Shhhh, don't disrupt my summer income gravy train...
Stupe
S
Quote:

Many of the students will not bring a car or rarely use it due to the proximity to class, library, bars, etc.

Walkability brother!
Yep.

My son lived at the Stack for a year. Sometimes he went three or four days without moving his.
Brian Alg
Angry Beaver said:

woodiewood1 said:

Is it your belief that when students live further out from campus, they are less likely to drive to school?
Brian Alg

Brazos Coalition for Responsible Government
milner79
scd88 said:

2. Eggs for when my Moore Hall mates and I would chuck them into open DG windows, water balloon fights with a launcher, and throwing them at Crocker frat boys who would sunbathe between Crocker and Moore.
DG ... Damn g**
aggiepaintrain
AG
parking is atrocious at a&m both my kids drive to school and have to pay to park and they have parking passes! Plenty of paid parking is available though!

That spot seems too small for a large high rise and a parking garage, regardless traffic right there is going to suck for real.
trouble
AG
The kids that live in Hullabaloo Hall aren't shopping at the sleazy mart
Stupe
S
aggiepaintrain said:

parking is atrocious at a&m both my kids drive to school and have to pay to park and they have parking passes! Plenty of paid parking is available though!

That spot seems too small for a large high rise and a parking garage, regardless traffic right there is going to suck for real.
The other two in that area...Rise and Stack....have garage parking at the street and first few levels.
scd88
AG
trouble said:

The kids that live in Hullabaloo Hall aren't shopping at the sleazy mart

True. One of the reasons I forbade my kids from even considering it. It's a college dorm - it's not supposed to be nice. Lol. Plus, they tore down Moore Hall to build it, so there's an extra level of bitterness on my end...

Hullabaloo is boujie *****
Captn_Ag05
AG
Additional current construction and planned construction in Northgate at the moment:

1) The Rev - 19 Stories, expected to open June 2023, corner of College Main and Louise

2) 401 First Street, 10 stories, expected to open Spring 2024, corner of First and Louise

3) The Everett, 8 Stories (5 residential/3 garage), expected to be complete April of 2024, corner of College Main and Cherry (500 College Main)

Credit - AngryBeaver for the photo

4) 509 University Drive, being marketed as high-density student housing, corner of University and Stasney

According to a poster on this forum, there are plans for a 22-story tower at this location and the developer is working with the Wesley Foundation to close the alley.

trouble
AG
I completely agree.
maroon barchetta
milner79 said:

scd88 said:

DG ... Damn g**

Finish it!
Angry Beaver
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

3) The Everett, 8 Stories (5 residential/3 garage), expected to be complete April of 2024, corner of College Main and Cherry (500 College Main)

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/Project/TABS2022019321

The Everett at A&M is a 280-bed student housing project that will include 3 floors of parking with 5 floors of units above, as well as resort-style amenities. It is set to be completed in July 2024.

Smeghead4761
If I ran HEB, I'd be trying to work with one of those developers for a student oriented small grocery store in one of those towers.

The city needs to work with the University to build some elevated crosswalks over University.
Angry Beaver
AG
Smeghead4761 said:

The city needs to work with the University to build some elevated crosswalks over University.

About 20 years ago, one of the options for remodeling University Dr at the Northgate/campus section was to lower the street much earlier than it is today and essentially send traffic underground. The road would be at the same level as it is going under the train bridge.

Another option was to actually reduce the number of lanes to slow traffic down and build large medians with grass. They eventually went with the opposite of that and built a wall to keep pedestrians away from the street, but they did build the crosswalk at College Main.
woodiewood1
Smeghead4761 said:

If I ran HEB, I'd be trying to work with one of those developers for a student oriented small grocery store in one of those towers.

That would be smart for HEB to do, but try to keep the groceries reasonably priced.

I slammed my fingers in my car door a few years ago at Fedex and cut two down to the bone and went over to CVS on Univ. Dr. to get gause and some antibiotic cream and I was shocked at the price. Went to critical care and got some stiches. A week later on my next trip to the CVS down at Rock Prairie I checked the prices and the price for the same two items was 1/3 of what I paid at the CVS on University dr. I would expect prices to be higher, but not 3 times higher.

Three or four crosswalks would be great.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Angry Beaver said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/Project/TABS2022019321

The Everett at A&M is a 280-bed student housing project that will include 3 floors of parking with 5 floors of units above, as well as resort-style amenities. It is set to be completed in July 2024.

Nice! I couldn't find design plans online anywhere.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Smeghead4761 said:

HEB would be amazing. I'd settle for a city Target.
Buford T. Justice
AG
Great thoughts
Stupe
S
woodiewood1 said:

Smeghead4761 said:

That would be smart for HEB to do, but try to keep the groceries reasonably priced.

I slammed my fingers in my car door a few years ago at Fedex and cut two down to the bone and went over to CVS on Univ. Dr. to get gause and some antibiotic cream and I was shocked at the price. Went to critical care and got some stiches. A week later on my next trip to the CVS down at Rock Prairie I checked the prices and the price for the same two items was 1/3 of what I paid at the CVS on University dr. I would expect prices to be higher, but not 3 times higher.

Three or four crosswalks would be great.

Yep. That CVS is ridiculous. We moved my son's prescription records to there just in case he needed something, but everything else was ridiculous. If he need a quick 1/2 gallon of milk or something else like that, he drove to the Dollar General on Villa Maria instead of just walking to the CVS.

wareagle044
TAMU1990 said:

I would imagine ground level would have some sort of convenience store underneath.
Captn_Ag05
AG

I hope that there will be ground level retail of some kind. According to KBTX, a builder may be selected soon.

Quote:

Oldham Goodwin hopes to have a builder selected for the project within the next month.
https://www.kbtx.com/2022/09/22/more-student-housing-could-be-coming-northgate-district/

Captn_Ag05
AG
Also, saw this in the KBTX story from today about the housing construction. I have not seen any information on this other First street development.

Quote:

Housing development near campus is on the rise. As you drive around the Northgate district you can see the construction work for complexes at 315 College Main and 401 First Street.

Space has been picked out on First Street for another student housing development to be built.
https://www.kbtx.com/2022/09/23/housing-options-continue-be-built-texas-am-college-station-population-increases/
Captn_Ag05
AG
Update on current and planned Northgate construction (to consolidate in one place). Let me know if I missed any current or announced projects.

1) The Rev - Corner of College Main and Louise, 19 Stories, 802 beds. Expected to open August 2023.

2) 401 First Street, 10 stories, 745 beds. Expected to open Spring 2024, corner of First and Louise

3) The Everett, 500 College Main, (corner of College Main and Cherry), 8 Stories, 280 beds. Expected to be complete April of 2024.

4) Nova Northgate, University and Wellborn, 18-stories, 850-beds. Currently in permitting stage with anticipated completion of summer 2026.

5) 203 Church Street, 23-stories, unknown number of bedrooms. It received a height variance in January. No permits have been pulled for construction yet. Unknown construction timeline.

6) Boyett and University

Demo of the old gas station is complete. Unknown details on this other than it is supposed to be high-density student housing.

Recent Northgate Picture from AFS social media

Other Northgate area-projects (non student housing)

1) New St. Mary's Church - dedication July 2023

2) Century Square Phase II - being built right along University in front of current development

3) Popstroke - corner of University and S. College (vacant lot at Century Square). This was announced in late April and no site plans have been released yet. Expected to open in spring 2024.

Note: Image is not College Station plan, just the image from the press release and what the concept generally looks like.

Mumbo Jimbo
we're gonna need to tear up bryan neighborhoods to get ready for theseā€¦.

oh wait

Also Johnny Carinos property is getting spanish tile roof, so "something" is coming for sure
Captn_Ag05
AG
Talked to a friend that works for a large apartment management company. Apparently the Rev (the new high rise in Northgate) is completely rented out and has a decent-sized wait list for most unit types. I am sure that will have developers attention.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.