Porters vs. The Republic

4,657 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by instapt
tb9665
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know it is just what people prefer. I was wondering what is a better place to take someone to? Atmosphere? etc.
EliteElectric
We built both of them and can honestly say for me it's Republic.
YMMV
ElephantRider
AG
Republic, but Porter's isn't far behind. Both are really great places.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
I think the Republic has a better atmosphere and feels nicer, but I prefer Porter's steaks.
dubi
AG
Republic
australopithecus robustus
Everything is better at the republic except the steaks.
Broncos
Porter's is good but I prefer the food and atmosphere at Republic.

Add Christopher's as an option also.
FlyRod
Like them both, but Republic far and away has the best beverages, and it's not even close. The steaks are fine at both. I've maintained for a long time that The Republic's seafood is severely underrated. I have t had them in awhile, but Porter's raw oysters were way better then The Republic's

Monywolf
Republic uses sous vide method to cook steaks and doesn't get a good sear if that's your preference. Porter's uses a wood-fired grill and gets better flavor to me.

The bar at Republic is better than Porter's.
Vinewood_03
Never had a bad steak at Porter's contrary to what I've heard from others. Republic is great, but I have had times where my food tasted like it was made earlier that day or possibly the night before.

Christophers blows both out of the water. What they may lack in ambiance, they far exceed everyone else in quality.
driver9050
Republic > Porters

I prefer Christopher's over both.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Maybe I've have too much "big city steak " but in my 2 trips to Republic its done nothing for me. Never been to Porters but need to try it.
The Brazos Kid
Sodolaks.

EOT
TyHolden
AG
so best three steaks in BCS are Republic, Christophers, and Porters in no order? I've only been to one. Want to try another during the away-game weeks. Are these also equal on seafood?
australopithecus robustus
None are on the level of Vic and Anthony's, Pappas Bros., Perry's etc, but Porters is far and away the best steak and closer to doing it correctly, First and foremost they don't seem to be using the right process/equipment. The wood grill at Porters is great, but nothing touches the infrared broiler texture and crust from the big boys.
birdman
TyHolden said:

so best three steaks in BCS are Republic, Christophers, and Porters in no order? I've only been to one. Want to try another during the away-game weeks. Are these also equal on seafood?
Christophers
Republic
Porters

That's my order.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
The Brazos Kid said:

Sodolaks.

EOT

That's like the people that come in the barbecue threads and suggest Rudy's. Whole different league.
deh40
AG
Republic for bar selection, Porters by far for steaks.
ElephantRider
AG
MyNameIsJeff said:

The Brazos Kid said:

Sodolaks.

EOT

That's like the people that come in the barbecue threads and suggest Rudy's. Whole different league.
Rudy's and C&J = Sokolaks and Outback
Tibbers
Ever had the steaks at the Campfire Restaurant? Pretty damn good!
TyHolden
AG
Tibbers said:

Ever had the steaks at the Campfire Restaurant? Pretty damn good!
That's on the list too
Buford T. Justice
AG
We've been to Outback in CS twice this year and the food was fantastic. I realize and appreciate that is not the response that you are looking for, but I will be going back.

I also like Christopher's and Republic, but we only frequent them once a year for celebrating special events.

I don't like anything at Century Square. I just don't like that area.
ElephantRider
AG
Buford T. Justice said:

We've been to Outback in CS twice this year and the food was fantastic. I realize and appreciate that is not the response that you are looking for, but I will be going back.

I also like Christopher's and Republic, but we only frequent them once a year for celebrating special events.

I don't like anything at Century Square. I just don't like that area.
I love Outback and Sodolak's. But they're just not in the same category as Republic/Porter's/Christopher's
AggiePhil
AG
Switched our weekend reservations from Republic to Porters based on this thread. Will let y'all know how it is.
phillytex24
I prefer the Feed Barn. It's simple and not bougie. Their steaks are local Ruffino, and the prices affordable. Better atmosphere in my opinion.
AG81
AG
Between the two, Republic by a wide margin.
KidDoc
AG
I slightly prefer Porter's- they have a pretty killer smoked old fashion that is impressive.

Their brunch is good and reasonable price unless you get a steak for brunch.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CN
I'm a big fan of Republic but I was at Porters over the summer and had a taste of their filet a friend had ordered and it was fantastic. It had a very nice smoky flavor and was better than any steak I've ever had at Republic. I actually prefer ribeyes and find filets kind of boring so I was quite surprised by how good the filet was. I had ordered a special for myself and was kicking myself for not ordering the ribeye.
TXCityGirl
If you want to feel fancy/very special occasion, Republic. Porter's is slightly more casual, but I like their side items better if you aren't in the mood for steak.
KALALL
AG
I prefer Porter's for steaks over the Republic. I'm not a big cocktail person but the Corpse Reviver at Porter's is the best mixed drink I've ever had.
althormoon
I like the food at Republic better but if you want to actually hear what your date is saying you should go to Porters. Republic is always way too loud
rptsAg03
Porters. And agree that Campfire @ the Stella is worth making the steak list!
Polska
AG
Quail legs are very good at Porters, and brussel sprouts much better there as a side. I liked the steaks at both. Better drinks at Republic in my opinion. Ambiance better at republic. Both quality places though, as is Christopher's.
AggiePhil
AG
Did Porters tonight. It was good, but Christopher's and Republic reign supreme in this town.
SFLORIDAAG
AG
Steaks at 1860 are pretty darn solid too. Better than republic imho
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.