Frontier = Awesome (this time at least..)

1,692 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Frisco
foo00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We all like to bag on all the ISPs.. and rightly so most times. But credit where credit is due. Just sharing so all the folks afraid to drop SL as the "devil I know".. Do you think the following would happen with them? 0% chance.

I woke up this morning at 0445 to find the Frontier (fiber) modem we have to use (in bridge mode) had died so no internet. No link at all to anything. Called their 800 # at 0500. The system automatically detected my link "has an issue" and automatically scheduled a tech. It didn't ask. It did it. It just asked that I text back "cancel" to an SMS they'd send me if it magically started working again. OK, I figured, great so this weekend I'll be down and who knows when it'll be next week (if even then!)..

The call kicks back in and completes saying "Your technician will arrive between 8am-noon on Friday Sep 16."

Tech rolled up at 0920. Took one look at the modem and swapped it with a new one and I'm back online by 0930 at $0 cost. Basically 1.5 business hours from problem to resolution. Props.

Drop Suddenlink if you still have it. Get Frontier (if they're near you yet).
KC_Ag14
AG
Good to know! Thanks for sharing.
OceanStateAg
AG
Great to hear. For this who have switched, have they had to run any new service connections to the property? I live in townhome and all the electric meters and the cable connections are on my exterior backyard wall. Wondering if there will be a box or anything to mount back there or what not.
spike427
AG
OceanStateAg said:

Great to hear. For this who have switched, have they had to run any new service connections to the property? I live in townhome and all the electric meters and the cable connections are on my exterior backyard wall. Wondering if there will be a box or anything to mount back there or what not.

Yes, they'll mount a box by your connections. It needs power, so they'll figure out how to access an outlet inside or in your attic. Our fiber comes in on the opposite side of the house from the box so there's a lot they'll have to bury.
ElephantRider
AG
Switching as soon as I'm able. No clue when that will be
boredatwork08
AG
spike427 said:

OceanStateAg said:

Yes, they'll mount a box by your connections. It needs power, so they'll figure out how to access an outlet inside or in your attic. Our fiber comes in on the opposite side of the house from the box so there's a lot they'll have to bury.

FYI you can ask that they run fiber all the way through your house to where you want the ONT to sit inside. If you don't do that, they'll put the ONT in a weatherproof box on the side of your house. They are not made for the Texas heat. This way there's no outside power requirements and your equipment will last more than a year or two.

The install tech will complain, but stand your ground.
meezermom
Still hoping to switch, too. Flags went up all over the yards in our neighborhood this morning so fingers crossed it won't be much longer.

So do you have to use their specific modem? We have a wireless mesh router and a brand-new Netgear modem that I don't think Best Buy will take back. Sigh.

Also, what is ONT? Our modem/router are in our master bedroom and I would like to have the Frontier somewhere close to that so it's easy to deal with -- and don't want it on the outside of the house. Ideas on what I do to facilitate that? Also, I'm not super tech-savvy, so sorry for any possible silly questions!
Stupe
S
Quote:

We all like to bag on all the ISPs.. and rightly so most times. But credit where credit is due. Just sharing so all the folks afraid to drop SL as the "devil I know".. Do you think the following would happen with them? 0% chance.
I don't know a single person that has Suddenlink that isn't going to drop the day that any other company is available with fiber.

Even if Suddenlink gets fiber in my neighborhood, I'm done with them.
spike427
AG
boredatwork08 said:

spike427 said:

OceanStateAg said:

FYI you can ask that they run fiber all the way through your house to where you want the ONT to sit inside. If you don't do that, they'll put the ONT in a weatherproof box on the side of your house. They are not made for the Texas heat. This way there's no outside power requirements and your equipment will last more than a year or two.

The install tech will complain, but stand your ground.

This would have been great to know a week ago. Ugh. It would have truly been a pain to install in our study, though.
CN
meezermom said:

So do you have to use their specific modem? We have a wireless mesh router and a brand-new Netgear modem that I don't think Best Buy will take back. Sigh.

Also, what is ONT? Our modem/router are in our master bedroom and I would like to have the Frontier somewhere close to that so it's easy to deal with -- and don't want it on the outside of the house. Ideas on what I do to facilitate that? Also, I'm not super tech-savvy, so sorry for any possible silly questions!
The ONT is sort of like your cable modem but for fiber and much smaller so yes, your cable modem is now useless.

You can still use your mesh router. Depending on which plan you get, they'll provide you with an Eero Pro or two. If you want to continue using your own router, you can tell them that. I didn't want to have to reconfigure all my devices to point to the new router so I told them to use my old router. I ended up replacing all of my aging wireless routers a few months later anyway and simply reused my old SSID and password on the new routers so that I wouldn't have to reconfigure all of my devices.

You can hang on to their Eero(s) even if you don't use them but you have to return it if you ever discontinue service. Just make sure if you decline their Eeros that you follow up with Frontier later and verify that they have it in their records that you don't have their Eeros.
Frisco
AG
I've been trying to bridge mine or bypass the eero (preferred) altogether and have been unsuccessful. Anyone done that after the fact (of the eero being installed)? Did you have to call tech support in order for them to change something? Left it unhooked overnight and then connected to my firewall and it wont ever pull an address
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.