1775 Texas Pit BBQ - Sticker shock

10,399 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BCSWguru
slyk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Perhaps this has been talked about before wanted to give my opinion on the place. Due to their limited hours and my work schedule I finally got to go by a couple weeks ago.
Oh my gosh, $24 for a 2 meat BBQ sandwich, $18 for a sliced beef sandwich. All single serve sides starts at $7 ( or $8). Don't remember some of the other prices but it is all a-la-carte from what I seen. No "plate combos ".
I'll admit though it was great BBQ but not at 2.5 -3x cost of anywhere else I've been. I thought Cooper's was kinda pricey. I won't be be back unless someone else is paying. Oh yeah, your purchase does come with a 12oz canned drink, extra if you wanted to upgrade to a little larger bottle of tea.
Anyway just sharing my opinion on the joint.
trouble
AG
Pretty normal in my experience around the state.
tfunk02
AG
Went to the Coopers in Llano last week. When I got the bill, I realized that BBQ is on par with sushi for pricing now. Sad realization for my wallet.
BCSWguru
18 dollars for a brisket sandwich? thats comical. but apparently someone is buying them, so......
UmustBKidding
Brisket is $18lb at blacks today, doubt a pound on that sandwich. Very expensive bun and drink. 1775 is not a value option.
trouble
AG
Their brisket sandwich is 3/4 lb.
duffelpud
AG
Right up there with a chicken wrap at Kyle!
"What's this button do?"
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Don't like the price, don't go. Pretty simple.

I've eaten a lot of BBQ and unfortunately it's getting expensive everywhere just like everything else. I don't think their prices are that out of line with other places, especially with the quality of product they produce.
Mathguy64
AG
Inflation is real. Heck a package of butter went from $3.60 to $4.60 last time noticed.

And that's the price of solid BBQ everywhere. At least at the craft places.
CS78
Their brisket is $36/ lb

Sausage is $24/ lb

Its starting to feel like some people are using this inflation thing as a convenient excuse to try to screw each other. I guess someone is buying it.
cslifer
Their prices are higher than what Franklins is advertising.
El_duderino
$24/lb for sausage isn't just inflation. And like another poster said, I don't like the prices so I won't go.
Mathguy64
AG
CS78 said:

Their brisket is $36/ lb

Sausage is $24/ lb

Its starting to feel like some people are using this inflation thing as a convenient excuse to try to screw each other. I guess someone is buying it.

The sliced sammy as Trouble noted is 3/4 lb. That's $24/lb ignoring the bun and drink.

Corkscrew is $28/lb. Killens is $25 or $27/lb. Just for brisket.

The last time I went to Snows (pre covid so well before inflation) they were like $20/lb. And they cook select briskets not Prime.

ETA just looked and Truth in Brenham is $34/lb.

What am I missing?
histag10
AG
Was there last weekend, amd was $20 for a 1/2lb sandwich, but you can change how much is on the sandwich.

We ended up with 3 1/4lb sandwiches and 1 drink (took everything to go) for like $36, and it was so much food we had leftovers.
histag10
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Inflation is real. Heck a package of butter went from $3.60 to $4.60 last time noticed.

Trouble and I were talking about this last night. And the fact that HEBs butter has declined in quality.

Just an FYI to all of you, if you order custom cakes, pies, cupcakes, or baked goods from places other than a grocery store, please understand that prices have gone WAY up. The nonedible parts of my orders (cake drum and box, etc) are around $10 per order now. And like you said, a pound of butter is up around the mid $4 range (for an 8" cake, I use around 2 lbs of butter).

My tangent is basically this: don't get mad when you get sticker shock. No one is trying to screw over the little guys/customers. It breaks my heart every time I have to raise prices, and isn't something I enjoy having to do, and it's even worse when people don't realize that the increase is literally just in supplies/ingredients. I'm not charging more for my time or increasing my profit.
cslifer
I get that YOU aren't trying to screw anyone over, you seem like an honest person. But I definitely won't say that NOBODY is, because some definitely are.
ukbb2003
histag10 said:

Mathguy64 said:

Trouble and I were talking about this last night. And the fact that HEBs butter has declined in quality.

Just an FYI to all of you, if you order custom cakes, pies, cupcakes, or baked goods from places other than a grocery store, please understand that prices have gone WAY up. The nonedible parts of my orders (cake drum and box, etc) are around $10 per order now. And like you said, a pound of butter is up around the mid $4 range (for an 8" cake, I use around 2 lbs of butter).

My tangent is basically this: don't get mad when you get sticker shock. No one is trying to screw over the little guys/customers. It breaks my heart every time I have to raise prices, and isn't something I enjoy having to do, and it's even worse when people don't realize that the increase is literally just in supplies/ingredients. I'm not charging more for my time or increasing my profit.

Yep, my wife does custom cookies and she has had to raise her prices. Butter has increased and the price of eggs has gone up over 82% over the past year.
Mathguy64
AG
A Waygu brisket from SRF is a minimum of $10/lb. It can be $12/14 depending on grade. And don't kid yourself. Snows makes it work with select but a lot of the craft places are smoking Waygu.

You can lose 1/3-1/2 of the weight in fat trim and water loss. So your $10/lb can now be $16-$20/lb. That's your real food cost and you haven't bought a stick of wood or paid for the big rig you are smoking on.

If they are selling at $30/lb they aren't getting rich.

John Mueller is known for the best beef ribs in the world. And he once famously stated he would quit selling them if he could because he lost money on every one.
cslifer
I didn't know 1775 used Waygu. You learn something new every day. I would have thought if that was what they were using it would be better.
Mathguy64
AG
I don't know that they do. I'm just showing the real cost of a brisket and why the craft guys are charging the prices they are.

Even at $8/lb wholesale for high end prime from places like Creekside that fat and water loss eats you alive.
histag10
AG
Don't forget the increase in milk, flour, powered sugar, and literally everything else needed for baking. Not to mention the random supply issues with all of it.
halibut sinclair
It's Wagyu, folks not way goo
AggiePhil
AG
The beauty of BBQ is supposed to be that you can get great flavors from cheap cuts of meat. If a place is serving Kobe or Wagyu and calling it BBQ, they've got it all wrong. In my opinion. <facepalm>
Bunk Moreland
Glad the penny pinchers refuse to go. Keeps the line shorter when I do.
Turf-Ag02
AG
I couldn't agree with this post more.
Gig ‘em and God bless
El_duderino
Last time I checked, not paying $24/lb for sausage isn't considered penny pinching.
woodometer
AG
Pay your fair share
histag10
AG
$12 for a 1/4lb sandwich isn't horrible, considering they throw a big chunk of meat on top of it as well. That sandwich lasted me 2 meals

If you want food cheaper than that, go to McDonalds (and even then, it will add up)
Bunk Moreland
El_duderino said:

Last time I checked, not paying $24/lb for sausage isn't considered penny pinching.

C&J and Rudy's exist for a reason. Enjoy!
slyk
I don't think the sign said but i would est 1/4 lb to a 1/3rd at most. The other meat was a halved sausage link. About the size of a typical Slovacek link (but not that brand). $6 value. I wish I had remembered the cost of the brisket by the pound.
Bunk Moreland
I haven't been in the last 2 months but they've always served all meats by half and quarter pound including combos.

Do you mean combo as in meat + 1 or 2 sides? If that's what you mean then you just aren't used to visiting elite/top level bbq joints in TX.
histag10
AG
They told me on Saturday that you could order whatever increment you want, and that 1/3lb has become a bigger seller for people to split.
slyk
Bunk Moreland said:

Glad the penny pinchers refuse to go. Keeps the line shorter when I do.
It wasn't short, I waited about 20-25min in line with about 10 folks in front of me and some more behind me. Dining room was already pretty full so I would imagine it was even longer prior to my arrival.
I wouldn't consider it penny pinching not wanting to pay $18 for a bbq sandwich.
You can get a pretty darn good beef sandwich at Frank's for $7.50
Scotty88
AG
My best buddy owns a BarBQ restaurant in the Hill Country. He complains every day about what he has to charge just to put a buck in his pocket. His labor costs keep going up and the cost of wholesale briskets is through the roof. He said he basically breaking even selling brisket only at $23 per pound. He turns down some catering orders that want meat only. He would rather do custom cooks where you bring the meat to him.
Bunk Moreland
Well tell your buddy these people want premium bbq for McDonald's prices! And complain when he can't do it
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.