1775 Texas Pit BBQ - Sticker shock

10,500 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BCSWguru
slyk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bunk Moreland said:

I haven't been in the last 2 months but they've always served all meats by half and quarter pound including combos.

Do you mean combo as in meat + 1 or 2 sides? If that's what you mean then you just aren't used to visiting elite/top level bbq joints in TX.
Two meats on the sandwich =$24+tax. Nothing else included but a canned soda (which all meals/orders seem to include). It may have been a half lb but didn't really look quite like it to me. A side dish would've been an extra $7 or so. No they don't have chip bags. All home made sides, all seemed decent but the sandwich cost put it over the top.
My best cost est if you got a plate with half pound of brisket + 2 sides easily run around $35-$40.
And no, I'm not used to visiting an elite bbq joint, in this case a food truck with an attached (sort of) dining room area. We're not talking a fancy place here, but that's not what counts.
What are some other elite high rated bbq places with similar pricing around our great state?
They got a good product but as someone else sort of mentioned with pricing like that keeps the crowd size manageable.
I can check it off my Bucket List now, been there done that.
Mumbo Jimbo
haven't been won't be going
$24 for a sandwich are you high?
histag10
AG
Quote:

And no, I'm not used to visiting an elite bbq joint, in this case a food truck with an attached (sort of) dining room area. We're not talking a fancy place here, but that's not what counts.

So your dig is that they don't have a traditional restaurant? If that is your requirement for an elite BBQ place, you likely won't be finding one. If a true BBQ/smokehouse has a nice restaurant attached, it's likely not the best BBQ.

Snows is $145 for 4-5 lbs of brisket.
Franklin's is $34 per pound. Their sandwich is $17, but I believe it is less than 1/2lb.
Blacks is $27/lb
ChampsAg
For the quality, I will pay for 1775.

If you have bought meat recently, you know that it has gone up. It's not just for the consumer. Every place in town has raised prices.

I completely understand sticker shock, but you also get what you pay for out there. Brad's mom makes all the sides and desserts. I have been going out there for four years and will continue to do so.
warrington74
AG
I had their $48 sampler

It fed me for 3 1/2 meals with full sandwiches. I would go back

FlyRod
I've never understood how anyone dining out can be surprised by the bill, unless the prices aren't listed on the menu. Which I don't think I've ever seen.
AggiePhil
AG
FlyRod said:

…unless the prices aren't listed on the menu. Which I don't think I've ever seen.

I have. It'll just say "Market."
trouble
AG
But even then, they'll tell you if you ask.
Bob2525
Great BBQ, just wish you could order a 1/2 or 1/3 pound sandwich for us normal peoples.
If you don't like the prices, make your voice heard. Most people are just furious with the cost of the end product and have no clue why it is what it is.
trouble
AG
You can now. Just ask them.
dallasiteinsa02
The restaurant industry is about to go through a serious reshuffling of the way they do business. They all target 30% food costs. The price of the raw materials go up and then the price of the end product goes up dramatically as well. The market isn't going to absorb that level of margins forever. For instance, if my food costs are originally $3, I would have a item on the menu for $10. If my food costs go to $5 and I try to keep my food costs at 30%, I am now trying to sell that same item for $16.67. My profit went from $7 to $11.67. McDonalds figured this out a long time ago and has a target profit instead of a target margin. So as the food costs go up they have typically just raised the cost of the item by the cost increase.
LastHamlet
AG
They use Goodstock Prime Brisket from Nolan Ryan's ranch, so really it's not.
AggieBarstool
slyk said:

Oh my gosh, $24 for a 2 meat BBQ sandwich, $18 for a sliced beef sandwich. All single serve sides starts at $7 ( or $8). Don't remember some of the other prices but it is all a-la-carte from what I seen.
Whoa, they're that affordably priced?!
FlyRod
Thanks in large part to the summer heat/drought, beef prices are set to rise even more this fall and winter. I'd enjoy these bbq prices while you can. And honestly all the best to all the good bbq restaurateurs out there having to cope with this.
weber02
AG
Run the numbers, all in on these BBQ ventures. Variable and Fixed period cost. How many units do you need to sell and at what bearable price to 1. Break even 2. Reach payout of sunk investment 3. Generate cash flow 4. Account for opportunity cost of generating these cash flows.

Also, Be sure on labor to account for churn of labor, effort/cost in hiring and training such labor.

Do all of them - not just top Texas Monthly folks.

This country is flush with money that exceeds supply…

skeetboy3
AG
If they are continually selling out before the lunch crowd is even over, they are underpriced. I won't go at that price, but that's just the market at work.
taxpreparer
AG
Or their pit has just so much capacity and they do not mind selling out and taking much of the rest of the day off.
Bonfire97
AG
$24 for a BBQ sandwich? Who the heck is paying that? I'm sorry, but I'll just keep stocking up on HEB briskets when they go on sale and making my own. Ridiculous.
trouble
AG
20 minutes and 10 people is a short line
Hornbeck
Everybody hates C&Js though….

I don't know where all these high rollers are working. Jobs around here don't pay that well last time I checked.
Bunk Moreland
People will pay $15 for a mediocre meal + $5 delivery + $5 tip from UberEats 3-5 times a week and not think twice.

But to go eat premium bbq maybe once or twice a month and spend $40? Oh no that is highway robbery!
michellecan
I love C&J's
ChampsAg
Same people complaining about bbq prices will overpay for a steak

And to be honest, if you consider 1775 "bougie", then you haven't been there and talked to the mom and dad and sister and brother that work there. Brad doesn't make peach bourbon glaze or do anything special. He just cooks damn good bbq.
trouble
AG
I love C&J's. It's my go-to for turkey and pork chops.

1775 is a splurge. I'm certainly not eating there often.
CenTexAg20
AG
Keep in mind that they are using top of the line meat on all of their proteins. When compared to a lot of other BBQ spots that may be using No Roll, Select, or Choice briskets. 1775 only uses PRIME. You may be spending more but know you'll always get a consistent good product.
CS78
Has anyone tried the new BBQ place in Snook? Curious how they compare?
91_Aggie
AG
Evanrandazzo said:

Keep in mind that they are using top of the line meat on all of their proteins. When compared to a lot of other BBQ spots that may be using No Roll, Select, or Choice briskets. 1775 only uses PRIME. You may be spending more but know you'll always get a consistent good product.

As someone else said the entire reason why BBQing meat is a thing is to take a cheap cut of meat i.e. brisket and make it taste good.
Carny89
I ate at blacks Wednesday. I got a marble cut sandwich on white bread, a beef bone. Maybe it was 3lbs?? I dunno. $56.00 2 items.
Bonfire97
AG
Quote:

As someone else said the entire reason why BBQing meat is a thing is to take a cheap cut of meat i.e. brisket and make it taste good.
Agreed. The brisket is a locomotive cut. Not much difference between prime and select on a cut like this, IMO.
rodan85
AG
CS78 said:

Has anyone tried the new BBQ place in Snook? Curious how they compare?
I have eaten there several times. Very good and lower priced too!
agfan2013
AG
Bonfire97 said:

Agreed. The brisket is a locomotive cut. Not much difference between prime and select on a cut like this, IMO.

I participated in camp brisket this year (put on by Foodways Texas and the A&M meat science department) and would tell you that's not what results will tell you. They do a blind taste test every year and the better grades always score better than lower grades, the class this year I was in was no exception. Top choice and prime will finish better than choice and select if you know what you're doing.

Yeah there's cheaper places to get bbq, but you get what you pay for. I don't mind grabbing a quick sandwhich from C&Js from time to time, but their stuff isn't close to being in the same league as 1775. I wouldn't eat it every other day, but it's dang good bbq, cooked by dang good folks, so I'll keep going there and supporting a good business.
AggiePhil
AG
Bonfire97 said:

Quote:

Locomotive cut?
GSS
Outstanding video of behind the scenes at a #1 (currently, Texas Monthly) Texas BBQ joint. And $32/lb brisket....
A LOT of work before the first order is sold.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
EMY92
AG
Bonfire97 said:

Quote:

I've got a friend whose place is on the TM Top 50 list, it was top 10 in new places a few years ago. He told me that he can consistently cook good brisket with choice, but he can consistently cook a great brisket with prime. He uses prime at his place.

If I could get the exact same brisket that I ate there last Friday every time, I'd forever be happy.
australopithecus robustus
AggiePhil said:

Bonfire97 said:

Quote:

Locomotive cut?

Muscles used for locomotion are tougher. Muscles like the back strap (filet) are sedentary and thusly more tender.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.