Frontier Internet Performance

2,407 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Sweet Kitten Feet
Sweet Kitten Feet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
They just completed my neighborhood. I guess I'm one of the few who really doesn't have any issues with Suddenlink other than the price. I get the speed I pay for, and it's reliable. So those of y'all that have already switched, how is the performance? Do you get the speed you pay for? Any down time? How's latency?
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
We have Frontier and it's pretty stellar so far. No real issues or complaints. Internet speeds are fast and we have the 1 Gig service. We have multiple streaming and computers and no issues.

If you want - I can refer you and we'd both get an additional $150 bucks each.

https://www.frontiercustomerreferral.com/
[url=https://www.frontiercustomerreferral.com/][/url]
Txmoe
AG
We've had Frontier for a month now. Had a few technical issues but they were resolved quickly. What they don't tell you in advertising about the 1 gig is that you only achieve it when your device is hardwired.

If you decide to stay with Suddenlink/Optimum, at least call them and pretend you want to quit. They will offer you some good deals to stay.
KidDoc
AG
Been several months, no issues. The 1 gig speed is currently not feasible over wifi just hard wired but it is true up & down one gig which is impressive. We have had a few short outages in the first month but none in a long while.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Tom Cardy
AG
Had it for about 11 months now, fiber 1gig has been flawless. Maybe a couple hours of total downtime when someone ran their car into a fiber box and they fixed it quickly.

Speeds have been consistently close to the advertised 1gig regardless of time or traffic in the house.
JP76
Just got mine installed today. Hardwired speed 950 mb - 1000 mb

Wireless speed 400-500 mb
doubledog
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

They just completed my neighborhood. I guess I'm one of the few who really doesn't have any issues with Suddenlink other than the price. I get the speed I pay for, and it's reliable. So those of y'all that have already switched, how is the performance? Do you get the speed you pay for? Any down time? How's latency?
Normal WiFi speed (1GB). Direct line (twisted pair) much faster.

Average Joe
AG
1 gig over WiFi is a limitation of WiFi and not Frontier. You weren't going to get that no matter who your provider is. It's solely dependent on your WiFi router or access point and the card in the wireless device (phone, laptop, tablet, etc ). Very few devices support it currently.

As far as frontier is concerned, I've had no issues hitting my speeds the entire 9 months I've had service with them.
La Fours
AG
We switched to frontier at the end of July and use the 2 Eero Pro 6 that frontier gave us for signing up. We have all iPhone 12's or newer, and best speed we get on WiFi is ~500Mbps up and down. Our phones and laptops should all be able to get 1Gbps. So that's annoying. Our phones and laptops are 802.11ac/ax compatible. So no reason to not get at least 800Mbps.

But that's just a minor complaint. Service has been great so far. We have about 30 different devices connected around the house and no issues.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
La Fours said:

We switched to frontier at the end of July and use the 2 Eero Pro 6 that frontier gave us for signing up. We have all iPhone 12's or newer, and best speed we get on WiFi is ~500Mbps up and down. Our phones and laptops should all be able to get 1Gbps. So that's annoying. Our phones and laptops are 802.11ac/ax compatible. So no reason to not get at least 800Mbps.

But that's just a minor complaint. Service has been great so far. We have about 30 different devices connected around the house and no issues.

The Eeros are physically unable to deliver 1Gig over Wi-Fi. Only wired.
La Fours
AG
Then they shouldn't claim it has WiFi 6 capability. But hey, it was free and does a great job otherwise.
91_Aggie
AG
I don't know what happened but since Frontier came to my neighborhood, Suddenlink dropped my price to $39/month.
I'm getting 100 down, 32 up and 200+ channels

Once Optimum does the inevitable and raises my rates, I'll probably switch to frontier... but I can't beat current price.

I can stream on 4+ devices at once with no issues.
and Play FPS games with no issues.

And I have had no downtime in the last 2 years.

Rexter
Just got this on the phone. Frontier and the install tech were very clear that the Eero would only run 400/400 or so. Gig service has to be wired.

El_duderino
Rexter said:

Just got this on the phone. Frontier and the install tech were very clear that the Eero would only run 400/400 or so. Gig service has to be wired.

You need the eero 6 pro which they should have provided (at least they were to the person I know who has frontier) and can go up to 1 gig wireless. Standard eero 6 is only limited to the speeds you posted or somewhere around there.

I'm jealous of these speeds though. Nothing like dealing with large pc downloads with 35mbps down
Average Joe
AG
You also need to up the band size on the 5ghz to get 1 gig but that comes at a cost to your range and adds more interference.
Hornbeck
I get the full 1g. My house is wired, and I added a few more eero units to the mix (bought directly from Amazon), all hard wired. Wireless and wired performance is great. I had some sluggishness due to a lot of devices hitting one eero, but once I balanced it out, it works great.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
So I'm ready to switch. Do you really have to call in to order it? You can't order internet service on the internet?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.