Any thoughts about Champion Firearms?

3,271 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Great CaesarsGhost
Lola68
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy. Can anyone tell me about Champion Firearms, specifically their indoor range and training programs? Would you recommend them? Thank you
BluHorseShu
AG
Lola68 said:

Howdy. Can anyone tell me about Champion Firearms, specifically their indoor range and training programs? Would you recommend them? Thank you
Sure. Give them a shot…
Lola68
Very nice
MyNameIsJeff
AG
They're a great store. I've bought several firearms from them over the years and took my LTC (CHL at the time) course from them. The staff is knowledgeable and honest about when they don't know something, which really sets them apart from a lot of gun stores that will feed you BS.

I shoot at the range from time to time (usually during the week, I try to go to CCC on the weekends if I have time), and it is nice.

I'm unaware of any training they offer other than the LTC class (assuming they still offer this), but I wouldn't hesitate to take a class from them.
Lola68
Thanks
Rapier108
I can't speak on their training program, but their range is fine. Shot there many times.

It's pistol calibers only and to .44 Special. IIRC, you can shoot a carbine indoors so as long as it is a pistol caliber, but I'd confirm that with them to be sure.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Belton Ag
AG
Rapier108 said:

I can't speak on their training program, but their range is fine. Shot there many times.

It's pistol calibers only and to .44 Special. IIRC, you can shoot a carbine indoors so as long as it is a pistol caliber, but I'd confirm that with them to be sure.
Yes, you can shoot a pistol caliber carbine in their range.

The gun shop is fine, I've purchased a couple guns from them over the years. If you're really into 9mm anything, they're your place.

As far as hunting or optics go, Burdett & Son is the only place in town I'll go.

Bunk Moreland
Great prices and great people. Range is good for pistol shooting. Took their LTC class and thought it was well done. They took it seriously.
AgTrip
My only complaint is I wished the range stayed open later than 5 so I shoot after work. Have bought several times with them. They're good people, nice and helpful.
FamousAgg
Best indoor range in town
Smokin Chisel
AG
Yes and yes, purchased most of my weapons from them, always very knowledgeable and helpful through the process.
cz308
BattleGrackle said:

Beat indoor range in town
What other indoor ranges are there in BCS?
Smeghead4761
BattleGrackle said:

Beat indoor range in town
I see what you did there.
phillytex24
I had a fantastic experience, this summer, taking a class. The place is really cool inside. My instructor was very knowledgeable and I learned a lot.
Mister Shipwreck
AgTrip said:

My only complaint is I wished the range stayed open later than 5 so I shoot after work. Have bought several times with them. They're good people, nice and helpful.
They used to be open until 6pm, but that changed when covid started.

And, I wish they'd open the range again on Sundays. I miss being able to go up there on Sundays. That changed when covid started too.
AggiePhil
AG
Used to have a small range in the Read Bldg. under Kyle Field but that's long gone now.
Goose83
AG
AggiePhil said:

Used to have a small range in the Read Bldg. under Kyle Field but that's long gone now.
Before the Read Building, it was simply under the stands on the student side, out in the open (different time and place, as no way that would fly in this day and age).
JaxDad
AG
Goose83 said:

AggiePhil said:

Before the Read Building, it was simply under the stands on the student side, out in the open (different time and place, as no way that would fly in this day and age).
I took the class. It was pellet guns
BQ_90
AG
I like the range, but if it's full I can't take more than about 30 minutes, the air quality just isn't good.

also pay attention to who's around you, there was a guy several years back kill himself. But I hate being in the middle lanes. I'd rather not have people I don't know shooting on each side of me.

But pay attention to noobies, I left one time when this group of students showed up with their girl friends. I didn't like how they where handling the firearms.
Rapier108
BQ_90 said:

I like the range, but if it's full I can't take more than about 30 minutes, the air quality just isn't good.

also pay attention to who's around you, there was a guy several years back kill himself. But I hate being in the middle lanes. I'd rather not have people I don't know shooting on each side of me.

But pay attention to noobies, I left one time when this group of students showed up with their girl friends. I didn't like how they where handling the firearms.
That's why I go right when they open. Usually only 1 or 2 people there and maybe 1-2 more by the time I leave. Most who are there early tend to be experienced shooters rather than people who probably don't know which end of the gun is the business end. Often when I'm there, one of the other shooters is working with an instructor which is always good to see.

Quick, easy, and usually don't have to have someone shooting right next to me.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
BQ_90
AG
Rapier108 said:

BQ_90 said:

That's why I go right when they open. Usually only 1 or 2 people there and maybe 1-2 more by the time I leave. Most who are there early tend to be experienced shooters rather than people who probably don't know which end of the gun is the business end. Often when I'm there, one of the other shooters is working with an instructor which is always good to see.

Quick, easy, and usually don't have to have someone shooting right next to me.
good point
Belton Ag
AG
The only time I've been nervous there was when I was shooting next to a couple of tatted up dudes who clearly didn't know much about firearms and kept looking over at my stuff and asking questions and waving their pistols around. I had to ask them to put down their guns if they wanted to talk.

90% of the people that use the range that I've noticed seem to be experienced gun owners.
FamousAgg
I think it's great for new shooters and people who want to punch holes in paper. Anything more advanced such as working on holster draw and firing or movement can't be done there. I think that's the case with most public ranges other than arrowhead, seems like that was a free for all.

The 5 for $5 program and rental pistols is a great thing especially if you are shopping.
Hornbeck
I seem to recall at least one suicide by rented handgun there. Maybe that was in Houston?
AggiePhil
AG
Hornbeck said:

I seem to recall at least one suicide by rented handgun there. Maybe that was in Houston?

That happens at all gun ranges, unfortunately. Usually has nothing to do with the quality of the range operation.
woodiewood1
Hornbeck said:

There was a guy that committed suicide there a few years ago. I was there about 30 minutes before it occured.
AggieHandymanBlake
AG
Never actually shot there or taken their classes. But their prices and selection are great, and staff knows their stuff.
Lola68
Thank you for the responses
histag10
AG
Their range is fine, and I like that they have an assortment of handguns you can rent to try. It helped me narrow down exactly what worked best for me.

I did my LTC through a private class, so I can't speak to that aspect of them.

I find their store to be a little pricier than some. I prefer Circle Star in Anderson for all my purchasing (and I have heard great things about their classes)
Great CaesarsGhost
AG
Their hours are horrendous. Closing at 5:00 and now closed on Sundays makes it tough for the working person to make it. Saturdays are the only day left. The only time I tried going on Saturday the line was out the door. No thanks.

And, it is a little claustrophobic with the small lane spaces.

I guess they don't need the extra money.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.