T-Mobile vs Verizon BCS

3,631 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeremy
AggieKatie2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for insight on wireless providers. I've been a Verizon customer for the past 15 years. I've noticed a pretty substantial drop in the quality/speed of service since the 5G transition on my 21+.

I've been looking at moving to T-Mobile. Anyone have experience that want to share?
PharmD4
AG
I'm with you on Verizon… service has been noticeably worse over the past few years. I've heard all the reasons why it could be happening, but at the end of the day, it's a little ridiculous that I can't get reception at tower point, century square, or Briarcrest/6. Add in area near Stella cafe.

AggieKatie2
AG
PharmD4 said:

I'm with you on Verizon… service has been noticeably worse over the past few years. I've heard all the reasons why it could be happening, but at the end of the day, it's a little ridiculous that I can't get reception at tower point, century square, or Briarcrest/6. Add in area near Stella cafe.

Yep issues in all the same areas
UmustBKidding
So Verizon is deploying dss to support 5g and many find they get better service by locking their phone to 4g. Basically you share channels dynamically and a site that has enough 5g traffic build some of its channels wit 5g carriers. Unfortunately phones typically try to connect to the best technology even if its weak and a far stronger 4g signal may be available. So a site may not have sufficient 5g users so your phone connects to a cell further away at may not be reliable especially inside a building for instance. Verizon has a site behind century square but its the original site in bca and might not have dss implemented yet.
They are building 4g cells also, they just installed antennas on my friends tower a few weeks ago and it only 4g at least currently.
TMobile is not panacea also.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
We have ATT and it's not the best. I've not been the most impressed with it overall since we switched from Verizon about a year ago
iisanaggie
AG
We have had T-Mobile for about 10 years. The reliability of signal has greatly increased in the last few years. There are still some spots that don't get the best signal. However, when talking with people with other carriers, there seems to be some spots in BCS that are bad for everyone.

I have also noticed that our service is pretty good when traveling. We drove to Orlando and back at Christmas and had very few spots without full 4g. The same is true even when driving the back roads of Texas.

I do still manually change between 4g and 5g when needed. That almost always fixes the signal issues. I have also been very happy with customer service. If a service ticket is needed for anything, they are really good about working until the problem is fixed and following up. For the price we pay, we won't ever switch back to Verizon.
maroon barchetta
iisanaggie said:

We have had T-Mobile for about 10 years. The reliability of signal has greatly increased in the last few years. There are still some spots that don't get the best signal. However, when talking with people with other carriers, there seems to be some spots in BCS that are bad for everyone. .

This.
phillytex24
TMobile & Sprint have been fantastic. Free AAA memberships & Hulu too! I left Verizon in 2011 because it was so expensive and Sprint was half that price I was paying at Verizon, plus it was unlimited when Verizon wasn't yet.
maroon barchetta
We had been with AT&T for years. Were grandfathered in on their unlimited plan.

They kept adding little charges to the bill every month. You had to check it closely and then call them and challenge it every month. They always claimed it was an error.

Their signal was not good at our house but mostly good elsewhere in town although you could find some dead zones.

We switched to Verizon. Coverage at our house is better and the price is less. Still not cheap, but we had had it with the Death Star. There are dead zones around town.
4lilmonkeys
We'd been with Sprint for years and got switched to T-Mobile about 18 months ago. We have five phones on their unlimited plan and I feel that their rates are pretty competitive. No rate increases or surprises charges and their customer service has been great. Only issue we had was with spotty service in the middle of town while they upgraded towers to 5G last year, but once that was done coverage improved tremendously with no issues since.
atm86
AG
maroon barchetta said:

We had been with AT&T for years. Were grandfathered in on their unlimited plan.

They kept adding little charges to the bill every month. You had to check it closely and then call them and challenge it every month. They always claimed it was an error.

Their signal was not good at our house but mostly good elsewhere in town although you could find some dead zones.

We switched to Verizon. Coverage at our house is better and the price is less. Still not cheap, but we had had it with the Death Star. There are dead zones around town.
Where are you located? Shenandoah in CS has that exact issue.
CN
I pay $150 for 3 phones and one Apple Watch on Magenta MAX. It includes standard Netflix so that's one less streaming service I have to pay for. As others have mentioned, T-Mobile service has gotten better (I used to get no reception at all in the Castlegate II area).

There's absolutely no reception on T-Mobile in the AMCMS/Oakwood area.
Bunk Moreland
10 years ago sprint was awful in spots just outside of the city. We switched to AT&T and it was definitely better but still some pockets of absence. We moved to Verizon probably 5 years ago due to a different reason (other area we frequent only had Verizon) but ever since the 5G change it has been terrible in many of the same pockets described on the thread.

They all have ups and downs but right now Verizon is frustrating here. But I'm stuck with them for the time being.
farmersfight
AG
Suffering with AT&T in Shenandoah over here for a few months now. Even worse now that CSHS is back in school.
maroon barchetta
My Verizon phone lost all signal a few minutes ago. Now it says I'm running on 3G
AggieKatie2
AG
Update:

Made the switch TMobile from VZ on Friday. Initial observations…much better signal in all areas where I previously had issues (Century Square, Momentum Bank area, Campus). Great speed. Still have the usual game day issues around Kyle, but that's a given.

So far so good.

ElephantRider
AG
I've just about had it with AT&T. It sucks balls at my house and a lot of other places around town. My work phone is Verizon, and it seems a little better but still areas where I don't have signal.

Keep us updated, OP. I may have to look into TMobile also.
Stucco
If you have an unlocked phone you can try out the T-Mobile network for free via Mint mobile.
maroon barchetta
Stucco said:

If you have an unlocked phone you can try out the T-Mobile network for free via Mint mobile.

The one Ryan Reynolds owns?
Stucco
maroon barchetta said:

Stucco said:

That's the one. They use the T-Mobile network and they'll send you a free SIM to try it out.
bco2003
AG
Stucco said:

maroon barchetta said:

Stucco said:

That's the one. They use the T-Mobile network and they'll send you a free SIM to try it out.
You don't have to go through Mint to try out the T-Mobile network, and can do an immediate activation for a 3 month trial if you have an eSIM enabled device.

More info on this site: https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/free-trial

jeremy
AG
Please keep the info coming. I hate hate hate Verizon. Their prices are awful and I have to use Wi-Fi calling or I cannot call around my home or work.
jeremy
AG
Any updated on how you like the service?
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I've had Mint for 3 years now. I pay $240/year per line. I was with Verizon for 18 years before I switched, and I was paying over $300/month for two lines.
ElephantRider
AG
jeremy said:

Any updated on how you like the service?
Really interested to hear how T Mobile is going. Ready to ditch ATT
IWannaGoFast1
AG
jeremy
AG
coleasterling said:

ElephantRider said:

I've just about had it with AT&T. It sucks balls at my house and a lot of other places around town. My work phone is Verizon, and it seems a little better but still areas where I don't have signal.

Sounds similar to Verizon. They have gotten horrible in the last two years.

Keep us updated, OP. I may have to look into TMobile also.
I've been with AT&T since 2004, in BCS since 2005. It hasn't gotten really bad for me until the last two years. I don't know if it's population growth saturating the network or what, but my service is dismal now. I can show full bars +LTE and still not make a call or pull up a website. Bleh.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.