Best Restaurant "Off the Beaten Path"?

6,060 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Ric Clark
DrAeroAg05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Date night this Friday, but it is a game weekend... so I'm looking for ideas of restaurants "off the beaten path".

What do you recommend??
maroon barchetta
What kind of food?
Casual or upscale?
Price range?
halibut sinclair
Yankee's
M Beaux's
Relay Station
Mallett Bros.
Rail & Rye
Sodolak's
La Botana
new C&J BBQ
Wings n More on 21

Downtown Bryan shouldn't be too crowded since it's not First Friday.
Jetty
AG
3rd and Main! Or make reservations at Amico Navi. Christopher's.
Bunk Moreland
C&J or The Chicken.

/texags
PS3D
The Feed Barn is probably not date night material but it's one of the only restaurants in town not directly accessible or visible from major corridors, nor is clustered with others.
Tailgate88
AG
It was Fritella.
Smeghead4761
Remnant of Nawlins.
ratfacemcdougal
Rail and Rye navasota
cast iron bistro calvert
maybe gate 12

I have not been to any of them but they all look good and two are only a conversation away. ha ha
maroon barchetta
Hullabaloo Diner is out of the way for most people

Remember that Friday night is pizza night at the diner due to limited staffing. But their pizza is fantastic and they have other items that pop up on the menu. We always check their social media to see what specials show up.

If it's date night, you could also say 1860 Italia or the Brazilian steakhouse across the road.

A little more casual, Mad Taco.
samsal75
AG
Legends on the square in Madisonville.
555-PINF
The Western Club in Navasota - don't laugh, but they have a great steak

Los Cabos in Navasota - I ate lunch there last week and it was surprisingly good. The off lunch menu seemed expensive, but the food I had was good.

For my money, though, I'm going to Yankee's in Carlos.
Fis4Favorite
D'Vine Cuisine has their supper club this Friday. Not sure if they have any seats left but it is delish. This month is French themed.
Txmoe
AG
Rail and Rye is no longer a secret. Get reservations ASAP if you want to go Friday night.
Bonus recommendation: have a cocktail at Hamer's speakeasy in the Smith hotel before dinner. I actually liked it better than R&R.
AggiePhil
AG
Top of the Hill
crbongos
AG
Red Board Navasota rail district. Nice as anything in BCS.
Something fun and surprisingly good? R's Place Washington on the Brazos. Best kept secret around!
CRBongo
ChampsAg
Koko's outside Navasota towards Anderson
halibut sinclair
Asian Cajun on 105 between Navasota and Brenham.
driver9050
BCS hole in the wall casual, Feed Barn.
Stupe
S
PS3D said:

The Feed Barn is probably not date night material but it's one of the only restaurants in town not directly accessible or visible from major corridors, nor is clustered with others.
I disagree.

If you take a date to the Feed Barn and he or she doesn't like it....don't take them out again.
TyHolden
AG
AggiePhil said:

Top of the Hill
Get there by 4pm....
halibut sinclair
DrAeroAg05 said:

Date night this Friday, but it is a game weekend... so I'm looking for ideas of restaurants "off the beaten path".

What do you recommend??

So where you going tonight?
trouble
AG
Stupe said:

PS3D said:

I disagree.

If you take a date to the Feed Barn and he or she doesn't like it....don't take them out again.

My ex husband tested me with Feed Barn and Nortenos way back in '93. I passed with flying colors.
texasaggie2015
AG
Steak night at Leona General Store is your answer. Worth the drive.
billydean05
This! Regarding Leona steakhouse Rib eye huge and delicious. Expect a wait here as well though it has been a few months since I have made the trip.
texasaggie2015
AG
Yep.. there will definitely be a wait but I can promise it's worth it.
ChampsAg
finally made it to Leona and I was honestly not impressed. seemed kind of basic. wasn't thrilled with the new potatoes as a side. desserts are delicious though!
texasaggie2015
AG
Interesting. I went not long ago and it was fantastic. Bad night maybe?
Buford T. Justice
AG
Royers in Round Top.
It's an afternoon/early evening road trip.
FlyRod
trouble said:

Stupe said:

PS3D said:

I disagree.

My ex husband tested me with Feed Barn and Nortenos way back in '93. I passed with flying colors.

Friend took me to Feed Barn and observed that it looked like the kind of place someone having an illicit affair would take a date (dark, vaguely sketchy).

I do like the food.
halibut sinclair
ChampsAg said:

finally made it to Leona and I was honestly not impressed. seemed kind of basic. wasn't thrilled with the new potatoes as a side. desserts are delicious though!

I agree. We went once a few years ago. Pretty basic is a good description. I've had better steaks at many other places. Not worth the hour drive, IMO.
KALALL
AG
Cast Iron Bistro in Calvert is fantastic and I can't recommend it enough. The owner is the main cook and she takes a ton of pride in everything she makes. We usually go a few times a month and I've never had a bad meal. She makes new desserts every week and they're always worth trying. The only drawbacks are that it's an old building and on really hot days the AC struggles to keep up and when they are busy service can be slow because they run a pretty lean ship.
Tibbers
Campfire Restaurant at the Stella Hotel is good. Steaks and ribs there are pretty spectacular and the drinks at the bar are really good. Get the Barrel Aged Old Fashioned and you'll be glad you did.
ChampsAg
it wasn't that it was bad, I think that I had built it up in my head. I felt like I could have made the steak at home.

BTW, for those interested, it is BYOB beer and wine
Koko Chingo
AG
halibut sinclair said:

Asian Cajun on 105 between Navasota and Brenham.

I made that mistake once.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.