Macy's Property Acquisition

6,446 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by PS3D
doubledog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What is the information on Macy's Property Acquisition #5 on the item list.
Can't get out tonight.. Teaching

CoCS meets Thursday after 6p. Here are five items to watch:

Northgate District Improvements
Restricted Occupancy Overlay
Middle Housing Zoning
Tax Rate, Budget Adoption
Macy's Property Acquisition
Captn_Ag05
AG
According to the mayor's interview on WTAW, the city plans to buy it to keep undesirable tenants from getting it. The example used was a storage facility. They then plan to market it and hope to bring in a tenant more in line with rhe city's vision for the space. What could go wrong?
turfman80
AG
Yes, great move! The future of malls is unlimited!
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
toolshed
AG
Let's see, but it at an inflated price....

Sell at a loss....

(Non)-profit???

I think y'all (non CS taxpayer here) have been here before.
UmustBKidding
We can call it a future convention center site.
toolshed
AG
I thought someone posted a little bit back that there was interest in the property, and it would be something the community would enjoy. Or maybe that was another empty box at the mall.

I wonder if that deal fell through, or if it was an "undesirable business", so the city put the kibosh on it and swooped in to save the day and give the people what they really want?! (Probably not what the people really want...)
ElephantRider
AG
I thought I heard that it was some kind of call center that was interested.
TyHolden
AG
UCS - get the gang back together
AggiePhil
AG
I heard a family entertainment venue was interested in it.
texAZtea
AG
I don't know why but I feel like that would be a great spot for a baseball park.
woodometer
AG
Pappadeaux
turfman80
AG
texAZtea said:

I don't know why but I feel like that would be a great spot for a baseball park.
Or at least an indoor batting facility when weather prevents use of the planned baseball complex.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
bloom
I heard the interview with your mayor on the radio. My passenger wondered if anyone in CS would have a problem with the mayor saying "this way we can control it and make sure it us something "appropriate "

Very central planning-ish
cavscout96
AG
bloom said:

I heard the interview with your mayor on the radio. My passenger wondered if anyone in CS would have a problem with the mayor saying "this way we can control it and make sure it us something "appropriate "

Very central planning-ish

Marxism..... the word you're looking for is, Marxism.

Destroy the free market and abolish property rights....
Captn_Ag05
AG
https://wtaw.com/college-station-mayor-karl-mooney-on-wtaw-90/

Link to the interview with the mayor. The part about the Macy's property starts around 6 min 30 seconds.
textar4404
AggiePhil said:

I heard a family entertainment venue was interested in it.

Wouldn't want a non-sports family entertainment establishment moving in. Heaven forbid. That just wouldn't be right for this "I'll spend $x,000 to send my kid to a sports camp" because I need to live vicariously through them because I wasn't good enough to go pro.
bcschamp365
After Macys closed,a group with plans to open an entertainment center purchased the building. Their plans changed and they began marketing the building for sale for what I understand is an astronomical number. Learning now that the City of College Station purchased it, citizens deserve to know how much and why.

I am guessing that they will make the argument that it is a high visibility location that they are "protecting" from the wrong type of development or that they are planning to build a recreation center of some type at the location. Either way. this needs to be transparent as it represents multiples of million of dollars carried by the tax payers.

Both cities are showing strong over reach with recent large purchases of private property. Bryan spent millions purchasing the old Nutrobolt building after no one else would buy it. They also purchased / saved the failing country club on Briarcrest by purchasing it and making the tax payers responsible. These properties are now OFF the tax roles and being paid for by citizens. As you drive around and notice all the TAMU, COCS, Bryan, Brazos County buildings, please be reminded that for every government building that exists, we that pay property taxes have to carry more of the load.

How about we focus on improving core services, reducing crime, and lowering the tax rate for a change?

Fundamentally it is time to ask, what is the role of government?
EliteElectric
bcschamp365 said:

Fundamentally it is time to ask, what is the role of government?
A wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. ~Thomas Jefferson~

MeKnowNot
My bet:

It's the new YMCA.
UmustBKidding
EliteElectric
MeKnowNot said:

My bet:

It's the new YMCA.
CS City Council approves!

UmustBKidding
That would be utterly stupid, so right in line with the thinking of the mayor and majority of the council.
I think dirty sock 2 would be a better use of the space than that.
Anyone that would sign that idiotic YMCA development agreement is (Likely) a COCS administrator
FamousAgg
Sock 2.0. I like that idea
ElephantRider
AG
Super Sock
A Net Full of Jello
AG
Needs to be a Belk.
TSJ
AG
Escalator sock
Duckhook
AG
Don't live in College Station, but I've seen this happen in other places. What's going to happen is that the City will overpay for it and then hold it for a lot longer than they plan to. And then sell it at a loss.
UmustBKidding
Cocs is better than that they overpay hold to long then give it away. (See ice skating rink)
doubledog
UmustBKidding said:

Cocs is better than that they overpay hold to long then give it away. (See ice skating rink)
See Chimney Hill

Quote:

The College Station City Council unanimously agreed to sell the property on University Drive for $7.5 million to Houston-based PM Realty Group.
The property has been in the city's possession since it was purchased in 2008 for $9.6 million in hopes that eventually it would be the site of a convention center. That idea fell out of favor over the years and in 2011 a different city council asked to look into selling the property.

https://myaggienation.com/news/local/college-station-city-council-oks-7-5m-sale-of-chimney-hill-shopping-center/article_bdae8560-b9c6-58f7-831e-fe7f4d374341.html
befitter
COCS has no business using tax dollars to purchase a building in the mall unless they are going to use it for city services.
Flatlander
Those that fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
maroon barchetta
Flatlander said:

Those that fail to learn from history are re-elected by clueless voters who hate money and can't wait to get rid of it as quickly as possible

FIFY
milner79
World's largest Waffle House ...
duffelpud
AG

"What's this button do?"
TyHolden
AG
Should have moved City Hall there and sell the prime real estate they currently have.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.