chicken oil

7,528 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Captn_Ag05
gigem70
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any of you guys hear if they have plans to reopen sometime down the road?
A Net Full of Jello
AG
Three weeks ago, they posted this on their facebook page:
Quote:

Unfortunately, we do not have any updates as to when we'll be able to reopen. We are working on it every day and look forward to being back as soon as we can, but we don't have any dates that we can say at this time.

gigem70
AG
thanks
Tailgate88
AG
I wonder if they would be able to even bring that building up to code or if it just makes more sense to rebuild?
ElephantRider
AG
Tailgate88 said:

I wonder if they would be able to even bring that building up to code or if it just makes more sense to rebuild?
That's probably why they don't have a timeframe, trying to sort that out. As much as I loved the place, it was a dump.
PS3D
A Net Full of Jello said:

Three weeks ago, they posted this on their facebook page:
Quote:

Unfortunately, we do not have any updates as to when we'll be able to reopen. We are working on it every day and look forward to being back as soon as we can, but we don't have any dates that we can say at this time.

Admittedly it was a Sunday when I visited but I couldn't find any evidence that the building is being worked on as of August 28th 2022. Even if some of the dcor is salvageable it needs restoration, and a lot of the stuff in the back is simply burned and needs to be disposed of.

By this time they should've come up with at least a concrete plan of the property, and the longer time goes on, it will look increasingly like they just took the insurance money and ran while the building rots beyond repair.
australopithecus robustus
I wouldn't jump to conclusions too quickly. The last set of plans I submitted to COB took 4 months to get comments back, much less approved.

Let's see.
Civil engineer 30-60 days
Mechanical engineer 45-75 days
Architect/kitchen design 45-90 days
Insurance settlement that's agreeable??
Vinewood_03
Assuming there was insurance on the building. Their Facebook post seemed more like a "goodbye" than anything. When you combine the effects of COVID had on restaurant owners, plus the roof collapse at the Chicken, wouldn't surprise me if they just threw in the towel on this place. Also bet the City of Bryan would pay a nice amount for that property.
maroon barchetta
Vinewood_03 said:

Assuming there was insurance on the building. Their Facebook post seemed more like a "goodbye" than anything. When you combine the effects of COVID had on restaurant owners, plus the roof collapse at the Chicken, wouldn't surprise me if they just threw in the towel on this place. Also bet the City of Bryan would pay a nice amount for that property.

A city buying up private property where a business used to reside?

Sounds like a plan the citizens will love!
jac4
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Vinewood_03 said:

A city buying up private property where a business used to reside?

Sounds like a plan the citizens will love!

They'd probably wait for out of state developers to buy the property and then pay 2X what the investors bought it for a few months later. Speaking hypothetically of course.
JP76
I hope I am wrong but I have a feeling that will become a student housing development
TyHolden
AG
The city will buy it and turn it into Chicken Electric....
maroon barchetta
TyHolden said:

The city will buy it and turn it into Chicken Electric....
EMY92
AG
JP76 said:

I hope I am wrong but I have a feeling that will become a student housing development
Kind of a small lot for something like that. Not only is the lot small, but the odd shape won't help.
JP76
The building next door too. Total is ~1.5 acres
maroon barchetta
EMY92 said:

JP76 said:

Kind of a small lot for something like that. Not only is the lot small, but the odd shape won't help.

WTM
My understanding is part of the issue is the insurance company has repairs valued at x based on the current value of the construction (not land value). However, due to the amount of damage a rebuild would require bringing it to code and that is a substantial difference.
Vinewood_03
Too small for any sort of development; but removing a glorified wooden shed with probably the worst parking lot in town would serve the re-development of that area well. I've loved the burgers and T-fires for the last 30yrs, too; but that fire was the death nail.
Buford T. Justice
AG
I wish that they would open a new location in south College Station.
halibut sinclair
Buford T. Justice said:

Or right where it was. Not everyone wants to be in south CS.
TyHolden
AG
maroon barchetta said:

EMY92 said:

JP76 said:

Make it 100% solar/wind powered, add a green yard on top, and throw in a couple EV charging units....we're a world-class, green city
[/city council]

Hornbeck
I'm just wondering if they saved all of Don's cra…. Errr….. heirlooms…. In the fire.
jac4
AG
Buford T. Justice said:

Or close to the bypass.
The Brazos Kid
Hornbeck said:

I'm just wondering if they saved all of Don's cra…. Errr….. heirlooms…. In the fire.

Cotton Restoration was in charge of that. Signage, neon and other beer related memorabilia will be saved. Taxidermy and saddles will not be saved.
PS3D
Hornbeck said:

Well, from a video posted (taken just days after the fire, you probably saw it) the dining room suffered smoke damage but most of the items there weren't damaged beyond repair and could probably be restored.

The fate of those items is probably an indicator of what they want to do with the building (and I should've brought a good flashlight to see into the building).

If they haven't been removed yet and no work has been done on the building, it probably means that the building has been abandoned and they aren't coming back.

But if they had any intentions beyond just fleeing the premises and letting the City of Bryan clean up the mess, and a full restoration of the restaurant -items and all- was not an option, they know (or SHOULD know) that the Chicken was beloved by the community, and if they had an auction for everything as-is ("Take home a piece of the Chicken!"), they'd have offers out the door.

This is why I'm not optimistic about Chicken Oil's future. Even if they can't get cracking on repairing and reopening due to permits and code, they should at least move out what they can and board up the building to prevent vandalism.
taxpreparer
AG
EMY92 said:

JP76 said:

There plans for a 22 story high-rise on the half acre where the FedEx store is at Northgate.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
The Brazos Kid
PS3D said:

Hornbeck said:

Well, from a video posted (taken just days after the fire, you probably saw it) the dining room suffered smoke damage but most of the items there weren't damaged beyond repair and could probably be restored.

The video that I shot that you referenced:
lost my dog
Last I heard - Ganter daughters want to reopen. City of Bryan wants them to reopen. But it's going to take time. Probably not this football season
phillytex24
It just seems all too convenient that this happened, with the new proposals for that area.
LOYAL AG
AG
The Brazos Kid said:

PS3D said:

Hornbeck said:

The video that I shot that you referenced:
Sooo....I didn't know you changed your handle and I was about to call you out because I know who shot that video and it wasn't "The Brazos Kid". LOL

The Brazos Kid
LOYAL AG said:

Sooo....I didn't know you changed your handle and I was about to call you out because I know who shot that video and it wasn't "The Brazos Kid". LOL

Yup, gotta keep people guessing around here!
milner79
Vinewood_03 said:

Too small for any sort of development; but removing a glorified wooden shed with probably the worst parking lot in town would serve the re-development of that area well. I've loved the burgers and T-fires for the last 30yrs, too; but that fire was the death nail.
So right about the parking lot. I've always thought that must be where the Germans go to practice bombing the moon.
maroon barchetta
"Death nail"
Captn_Ag05
AG
taxpreparer said:

EMY92 said:

JP76 said:

There plans for a 22 story high-rise on the half acre where the FedEx store is at Northgate.
Source?
JP76
taxpreparer said:

EMY92 said:

JP76 said:

There is ~63,000 square feet including the 2 properties next to CO. I dont know specifics with commercial zoning but I can see a 4 story structure with 80-100 units with a parking garage as a possibility. Compared to the tax revenue the city is getting now, they would be very supporting of redevelop from the financial side.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.