Kathy Banks

13,293 Views | 139 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by texAZtea
TAMU bball fan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Has an A&M president ever had a worse start? It seems she's ticked off everyone at this point.

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/08/10/texas-a-m-faculty-president-kathy-banks/
EMY92
AG
Sounds like the inmates are upset that they can no longer run the asylum.
Aggieland Proud
AG
As a Former Student, I think she's doing a great job! Kicking a$$ and taking names of all the libs.
angus55
TAMU bball fan said:

Has an A&M president ever had a worse start? It seems she's ticked off everyone at this point.

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/08/10/texas-a-m-faculty-president-kathy-banks/

Sounds like liberal faculty whining. I agree with posters above. I hope she is resetting Texas A&M to what it should be.
We'll win this war, but we'll win it only by fighting and by showing the Germans that we've got more guts than they have, or ever will have. We're not going to just shoot the sons-of-b******, were going to rip out their living G*******d guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We're going to murder those lousy Hun c********** by the bushel-f****** basket. War is a bloody killing business. You've got to spill their blood or they will spill yours. Rip them up the belly. Shot them in the guts.
techno-ag
AG
You can't make an academic omelette without busting a few eggheads.
Mister Mystery Guest
She has my vote if she's pissing off a lot of those tenured aszholz.
BCSWguru
when your source is texas tribune..... lol
cavscout96
AG
Aggieland Proud said:

As a Former Student, I think she's doing a great job! Kicking a$$ and taking names of all the libs. folks who don't want to get on board regardless of their political slant.
FlyRod
Absolutely shocked and disgusted that faculty would want a say in how an institution dedicated to teaching and research should be run.
Trenchant
AG
Texas Tribune writing an entire article over faculty whining via a meaningless, time-wasting procedural vote?

Sounds about right.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
I generally dont like her, but that article made me like her alot more.
cavscout96
AG
FlyRod said:

Absolutely shocked and disgusted that faculty would want a say in how an institution dedicated to teaching and research should be run.
"Running" a billion dollar enterprise is a whole lot different than teaching and researching.

They do get a "say." They don't get the final vote though.

and, as it always has, HWY 6 runs both ways.
lost my dog
It is a mistake to view this issue through the lens of liberal vs. conservative.

The issues the faculty are upset about have nothing to do with politics. The immediate impetus for this resolution has to do with TAMU Qatar, but the bigger problem is her management style. She has gone through 2 interim provosts, and is now looking for a third.

Highway 6 does run both ways. I know of number of good faculty who have left, and Kathy Banks was at least part of the reason they did. Despite what some people think, you cannot simply replace " tenured aszholz".

doubledog
This has to do with the college shuffle and the Library reassignments Needed for a long time.. IMHO
lost my dog
doubledog said:

This has to do with the college shuffle and the Library reassignments Needed for a long time.. IMHO
Why do you think that the changes in college structures needed to be done?
CS78
Maybe we can get her to run for mayor when she's done.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Quote:

Despite what some people think, you cannot simply replace " tenured aszholz".
My proposition is to eliminate them and not replace them.

Quote:

It is a mistake to view this issue through the lens of liberal vs. conservative.
The texas tribune certainly asserted that lens.
lost my dog
Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

Quote:

Quote:

I think the Texas Tribune missed the real story.

Do mean not replace faculty at all, or replace them with untenured instructors?

Since I guess you mean replace them with untenured instructors, I will simply point out that tenured faculty are the people bringing in the vast majority of research funding. If tenure were eliminated, these faculty would not come here, and the reputation of Texas A&M would over time revert to what it was in 1970.

I realize that some people would like that. But I think most Texans like the fact that A&M is an academic powerhouse, and trains students for high-paying technical jobs.
taxpreparer
AG
She is getting paid to run the university; they are getting paid to do research and teach. Do you think Elon Musk asks his engineers if he should build a new building or buy Twitter?
doubledog
lost my dog said:

doubledog said:

For the library... Yes, the Library should be headed by a Librarian, all of the "instructional" professors needed to be regrouped into a common category of just professor (assistant, associate etc.) and moved to degree granting departments.

Liberal Arts and Sciences... Yes (not a hard yes). This will bring TAMU more in-line with other research institutions. The alignment will help funding and education.

lost my dog
taxpreparer said:

She is getting paid to run the university; they are getting paid to do research and teach. Do you think Elon Musk asks his engineers if he should build a new building or buy Twitter?
I don't think Elon Musk asks his engineers those sorts of questions. But comparing Tesla and Texas A&M is apples and oranges. A university and an corporation are different sorts of entities.

(for one thing, if a university were a profit-maximizing enterprise, it would raise tuition A LOT more...)

I know this will sound harsh, but if you think a university should be run like a corporation, you don't really understand how a university works.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
lost my dog said:

Quote:

Quote:

Since I guess you mean replace them with untenured instructors, I will simply point out that tenured faculty are the people bringing in the vast majority of research funding. If tenure were eliminated, these faculty would not come here, and the reputation of Texas A&M would over time revert to what it was in 1970.

I realize that some people would like that. But I think most Texans like the fact that A&M is an academic powerhouse, and trains students for high-paying technical jobs.
Replace them with nothing. They dont actually provide anything of value, that's why it has to be subsidized. People wouldnt pay for it at all if they werent forced to.
lost my dog

lost my dog said:

Quote:

Quote:

Replace them with nothing. They dont actually provide anything of value, that's why it has to be subsidized. People wouldnt pay for it at all if they werent forced to.
Tenured faculty don't provide anything of value??? You think all research is without value? People are forced to pay for research?

Tell me you didn't go to A&M Engineering without telling me you didn't go to A&M Engineering...
lost my dog
doubledog said:

lost my dog said:

doubledog said:

For the library... Yes, the Library should be headed by a Librarian, all of the "instructional" professors needed to be regrouped into a common category of just professor (assistant, associate etc.) and moved to degree granting departments.

Liberal Arts and Sciences... Yes (not a hard yes). This will bring TAMU more in-line with other research institutions. The alignment will help funding and education.

Legitimate answers, but I think only time will tell if the college rearrangement will help funding and education. I'm not convinced that teaching english and physics out of the college will help either educational effort.
Tookieclothespin
AG
There is some good, some bad. Her biggest problem is that a lot of the changes are not going smoothly for the groups/schools who have had the most change. Then, faculty can't get things they were used to getting quickly and they get mad because it disrupts their work/research.

I can tell you in my group, things have not been great even though we've all kept our jobs and some have even been elevated (wonder how they're paying for that???). It's just plain chaos and there is very little leadership so we are making it up as we go. A lot of our teams quit and went elsewhere because the new direction just wasn't for them, fair enough and good for them. They will be missed, but I can totally see why they ran away from this fast.

It seems the focus is more on "we are making changes, look how great it is, shut up and take your paycheck" than "this is how the changes will take place and here is where you will go for this/that/other from now on."
FJB
techno-ag
AG
lost my dog said:

Quote:

Quote:

Speaking of the Tribune here's a shout out to TexAgs sponsor https://thetexan.news/

Great alternative to "The Lib Trib" for state news.
Hey Doc, my psoas is sore
cavscout96 said:

FlyRod said:

"Running" a billion dollar enterprise is a whole lot different than teaching and researching.

They do get a "say." They don't get the final vote though.

and, as it always has, HWY 6 runs both ways.
cavscout96
AG
Tookieclothespin said:

There is some good, some bad. Her biggest problem is that a lot of the changes are not going smoothly for the groups/schools who have had the most change. Then, faculty can't get things they were used to getting quickly and they get mad because it disrupts their work/research.

I can tell you in my group, things have not been great even though we've all kept our jobs and some have even been elevated (wonder how they're paying for that???). It's just plain chaos and there is very little leadership so we are making it up as we go. A lot of our teams quit and went elsewhere because the new direction just wasn't for them, fair enough and good for them. They will be missed, but I can totally see why they ran away from this fast.

It seems the focus is more on "we are making changes, look how great it is, shut up and take your paycheck" than "this is how the changes will take place and here is where you will go for this/that/other from now on."
sounds like the problem existed before KB if there is "very little leadership."
oldyeller
AG
Tookieclothespin said:

Much of the issues are also related to how rushed this transition has been. I know people who have been moved to new positions, out of departments they have been in for years, and yet have not been told what their new titles will be, what their specific duties will entail, or been provided contracts of any sort, for a move that's supposed to be complete in roughly two weeks.

There are now faculty returning with no idea who they are supposed to turn to with questions about things such as their research monies, who can help them hire research assistants, etc. As you note, it is pure chaos right now.
oldyeller
AG
cavscout96 said:

Tookieclothespin said:

sounds like the problem existed before KB if there is "very little leadership."
It's more a consequence of significant administrative and leadership reorganization and restructuring, as a product of this "path forward" that seems to be the issue, along with committees still trying to hash things out. People are trying to execute to meet an arbitrary deadline before having a solid understanding of the desired end state behind all of this.
texAZtea
AG
I will echo its not political, and it's not just people complaining because they aren't getting their way.

It's also immature to say that because someone disagrees with leadership, they should just leave. If everyone did that the university would be empty. If that is your opinion, I invite you to try it at your own job first and tell me how that goes.

It's a trend of hypercentralized decision making and ignoring the people with valuable information who are the boots in the ground, making things happen. This president in particular has a habit of forming focus groups and then telling them what conclusions they need to come to.

She has also made some bad hires, including people she installed when she became president who are already getting fired.

I don't think the faculty senate vote was the way to go about it either but let's not pretend she's doing great because her rhetoric panders to old army.
bobinator
AG
It's like anything. There are some people just whining because they'll complain about anything, and there are some things to legitimately complain about.

My sort of thematic complaint about Banks' tenure so far is that either the circles of people are too small, nobody in them has any sort of big picture vision, or they're ignoring good feedback. A few times (probably most notably the Battalion deal) they could have saved themselves some headaches with just a tiny bit of effort on the front end.

There's a lot of "good idea, bad execution" going around.
BluHorseShu
AG
Aggieland Proud said:

As a Former Student, I think she's doing a great job! Kicking a$$ and taking names of all the libs.
Except it's not related to politics. It's related to working collaboratively. Sure their are some fringe nuts on both sides but you can't run a tier 1 school like a dictatorship (not saying she's doing that). The real problem is that many people these days are unable to view anything anything thru a political lens. The media and cult of personalities control them
Predmid
AG
The venn diagram overlap of "great research asset to a university" and "great mentor to young minds in the classroom" is painfully small.
BQ_90
AG
wait did this get moved from Aggieland board
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.