Food Service Handlers wtih Mouth & Nose Piercings - Gross

2,744 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by trouble
DoubleTap45
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I see Mr. Hamburger got an 85 on their health dept. inspection this week. I'm not surprised. Several weeks ago I was in there and was served by a (nice) young lady with long hair but no hair net, no gloves, and with some kind of a septum piercing, all without wearing a mask.

I know self-expression is all the rage, and what people do to their bodies for attention mostly isn't my concern. But if you're going to be handling or serving food for others, you really have no business running metal through your nose or mouth unless you're going to be wearing a mask. I don't want your snot, your inadvertent drool, or anything else leaking out and onto my food. I don't want you absentmindedly fiddling with your piercing while you're working with my food or the equipment. I don't care how rare or unlikely you think that is; it's more likely than if you don't have those types of piercings.

A few years ago I was at C&J's BBQ where an employee who was scooping out our food had a lip piercing of some sort that was all red and infected-looking around the metal rod. I don't know what they were thinking, but I haven't gone back to that location since.

Business owners - have the sense to require masks for anyone handling food who has those kinds of piercings. I don't want to see them and I don't want to wonder what's gotten onto my food as a result. Mr. Hamburger is one such place I won't visit again because of this, and Urban Table is in the same category.

Oh, and while you're at it, don't forget the gloves.
LOYAL AG
AG
You may as well stop eating out. As the demographics of this country change is going to become increasingly difficult for restaurants to find people and placing restrictions on people that aren't legally required is going to make that harder. This "problem" is going to get worse not better.
FamousAgg
So you are upset that someone has an extra hole in a body part that already has two holes?
cslifer
Next thing you know they will be allowing waitstaff to have tattoos!
PS3D
It's August 2022 and you're still concerned about people not wearing masks? I don't want to derail the thread (the mods don't like that kind of debate) [You know that is not true and that we allow that debate on threads about that subject but we do not allow it to derail threads. -Staff]

trouble
AG
So, not a freebirds fan, huh?
ElephantRider
AG
PS3D said:

It's August 2022 and you're still concerned about people not wearing masks? I don't want to derail the thread (the mods don't like that kind of debate) but I also don't know what to tell you.
Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think he's worried about a mask for covid, he thinks they need it because they have piercings. Are they contagious?
BQ_90
AG
trouble said:

came here to post that
legalbird
Sanitary issues should be a concern.

Some business owners are oblivious to health, safety, and general common sense.

I saw an employee with a bar through his tongue. He was unable to speak. If a business owner cannot identify that as an issue, there is nothing you could say to change his mind.
ElephantRider
AG
I fail to see how a nose piercing is a sanitary issue.
FlyRod
Got lunch from Mr. Hamburger yesterday. Saw no piercings, a few employees wearing masks, and the burger of the month was pretty good.
TyHolden
AG
go to that cat cafe next to Mr Hamburger while you're there. that place makes me want to sneeze just thinking about it.
KidDoc
AG
Any body piercing should not increase the risk of food born illness. Personally I've never understood hair nets, food born illness is not transmitted through hair anyway. Gloves have been shown to get dirtier than hands as people think they are miracle disease prevention gloves and tend to not wash off the germs from money or other surfaces. They are better off just washing their hands prior to handling food and of course good hand washing after bathroom use.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
EliteElectric
My parents were restauranteurs, the hairnets are so you don't get a random hair in your food
ElephantRider
AG
Yeah, even if there's no real health issue, someone else's hair in your food is just unsettling.
mtec
Some of y'all haven't read the FDA's guide to allowable levels of various types of contaminants in food and it shows... good reading if you never want to eat canned vegetables, peanut butter, flour, coffee beans, etc. ever again. Piercings are the least of the worries.
trouble
AG
BQ_90 said:

trouble said:

came here to post that

Look, I'll leave if my burrito guy isn't pierced and tatted up.
BQ_90
AG
trouble said:

BQ_90 said:

trouble said:

came here to post that

Look, I'll leave if my burrito guy isn't pierced and tatted up.
No,worries,then, you'll never have to leave, ever
halibut sinclair
be glad these folks are working and are productive members of society.
BCSLocal01
The worst is when they overly sweat. Once the server on the line was sweating so bad I was worried it would drip off onto the food. I left, no way I was eating that food

Also fake nails - they do come off into food. I know from experience. I continue to avoid that establishment. If management could not enforce the fake nail rule, what else are they not enforcing. Its just not sanitary
KidDoc
AG
BCSLocal01 said:

The worst is when they overly sweat. Once the server on the line was sweating so bad I was worried it would drip off onto the food. I left, no way I was eating that food

Also fake nails - they do come off into food. I know from experience. I continue to avoid that establishment. If management could not enforce the fake nail rule, what else are they not enforcing. Its just not sanitary
Fake nails are a valid infectious concern. It is difficult and tedious to really clean under long nails.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
taxpreparer
AG
Absolutely agree on the fake nails. It has been forty years, but I was eating a dinner salad that included red cabbage. I took a bite and that cabbage was tough and chewy. It turned out to be a fake purple fingernail.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
trouble
AG
Fake nails and natural long nails. All get nasty
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.