What grass would you choose?

4,916 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by mr83tr88
El_duderino
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That's a tall task for any grass around here with how much growth occurs in a normal year. Every other week would normally just be scalping it.
texAZtea
AG
Not much is softer than St.A.

How would you rank your priorities?
fastsloth
I agree St. Augustine is one of the softest grasses, except maybe Bermudagrass. If you are only going to mow every other week you will be in the "low maintenance" lawn category which means you have to lower your expectations for quality. Mowing frequency is directly related to mowing height, so if you aren't going to mow as often, you need to raise your mowing height so you don't remove more than 1/3 of the height at a single mowing. You might do some research on centipedegrass, which looks like a more delicate version of St. Augustinegrass. It requires less fertilizer, about the same amount of water, and could probably get by being mowed every other week. Not as much shade tolerance as St. Augustinegrass, however.
thenational
AG
We laid our Emerald zoysia sod in March of 2018, did great. I mow it every other week with a regular mower, cut it high. I do aerate it every spring to allow it to breath. It's doing great.
Tailgate88
AG
This thread is so confusing.
MemphisAg1
AG
We installed bermuda sod 6 years ago when we built our house. Didn't know it at the time, but there were scattered zoysia plugs in the sod that apparently were scattered by the wind at the sod farm.

The yard is now 60% zoysia on its way to 100%. It overtakes bermuda and does a much better job of preventing weeds (crabgrass, etc) because it's a denser sod and doesn't allow near as many bare spots as bermuda.

I heard it's more expensive than bermuda. Don't care, that's what I would install if I did it again. But I got lucky and ended up with a zoysia lawn at a bermuda price.
Stucco
Same question. I love the trees but the shade is killing the grass, and from what I have read I already have the best option (St Aug).
Gigem314
AG
EBrazosAg said:

Well cared for, fertilized and mowed St Augustine will always take over Bermuda. Bermuda in St Augustine is a sign of stressed St Augustine. Yes - it will invade.
That's the problem I'm having with a section of my backyard that gets the most Sun and has no shade. Guess it's time to have a pro look at it. The St Augustine is flourishing on the perimeter where it gets some shade, but not in the open area.
mr83tr88
AG
Wow! Thanks so much for all the helpful information on this thread. Some of y'all were asking questions I had before I had a chance to ask.

Our plans are to remove current sod/weeds, bring in yard of top soil to level where tree roots and Frontier damaged yard and then lay new sod. Planning on doing this March/April. We are on a tight budget. We physically can't do it all ourselves. We are very open to having high school/college students do the physical part.

Who do you recommend to handle this project? I need to know good and bad!!

Thanks!
Tailgate88
AG
Bigevent.TAMU.edu
mr83tr88
AG
Yes! We always sign up for Big Event!!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.