What grass would you choose?

5,077 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by mr83tr88
mr83tr88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We were struggling with our front yard before the drought, so we decided to save on water and allow it to die. We want to replace it with the best heat, drought, and weed resistant grass. We need pretty grass for young children to run and play.

What is your favorite grass? Why? What grass would you avoid?

We are looking for any and all suggestions!!
BiochemAg97
AG
mr83tr88 said:

We were struggling with our front yard before the drought, so we decided to save on water and allow it to die. We want to replace it with the best heat, drought, and weed resistant grass. We need pretty grass for young children to run and play.

What is your favorite grass? Why? What grass would you avoid?

We are looking for any and all suggestions!!
Check out Aggie park when it opens and see if you like that grass. TifTuf Bermuda. I believe it has to be sod, can't be seeded.

zachsccr
AG
I'm no expert, but some of it is going to depend on shade or lack thereof in your yard, how often you water or get rain (hahahaha), and what you want preference wise. Most common Texas grasses seem to be Bermuda, Saint Augustine, and zoysia. All tend to do well in Texas. I've heard great things about zoysia though
Tailgate88
AG
https://agrilifeextension.tamu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/turfgrass-selection-for-texas.pdf
MyNameIsJeff
AG
I believe TifTuf bermuda is gonna be your most damage and drought resistant.
EliteElectric
Years ago, 2000 maybe, I planted Zoysia at my mothers house in Brenham area. It has been amazing. Stays green, very drought and cold hardy. If my St Augustine ever dies I am putting in Zoysia
Jinx
The local extension office is a fantastic resource (linked above).

We are currently working on redoing much of our property to include native drought resistant plants and grass as well as pollinator friendly areas in the spots we don't use frequently. It's a long process but I think it'll be worth it in the end.
wareagle044
We have bermuda. I am a fan of zoysia.
Txmoe
AG
We put in palisades zoysia and are very happy with it. It's a little wider bladed grass than typical zoysia and you can use a regular mower to cut it. It's not completely drought-, disease- and bug-resistant but it's a lot better than St. Augustine.
CN
I have Zoysia but I'm not sure which one I have as it was installed 12 years ago on a new construction. I was promised, when compared to St. Augustine, I would have to water less, mow less often, and it was more disease tolerant. I'd say only one of those is true. Yes, I don't have a problem with brown patch or chinch bugs. But I water deeply twice a week with multiple soak cycles and I still have to run the sprinklers for a long time to prevent the lawn from burning out. The grass does grow slower than St. Augustine but you're still going to have to mow once a week. If your grass dies, it takes a long time for Zoysia to grow back in. It's very similar to Bermuda in how it spreads so you have to block off your flower beds otherwise it'll get in there and overrun your flower beds and will be extremely difficult to get rid of.

I paid 50% more for Zoysia than St. Augustine and I think for me, Zoysia was overpromised and has underdelivered. However, I still prefer it over St. Augustine and would do it again primarily for the disease tolerance.
BQ_90
AG
bull rock after this year
KidDoc
AG
I like Bermuda but some neighbors have St Augustine and that crap is aggressive and taking over my bermuda.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
EBrazosAg
AG
Well cared for, fertilized and mowed St Augustine will always take over Bermuda. Bermuda in St Augustine is a sign of stressed St Augustine. Yes - it will invade.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
halibut sinclair
St. Augustine is the best grass around these parts. Take care of it and it wll thrive.
El_duderino
Maybe if it's mowed tall. The shorter the better for Bermuda and st Augustine will never have a chance
EBrazosAg
AG
I will take care of St A at any height over putting green and wipe out your Bermuda. Neil Sperry will back me up.
KidDoc
AG
El_duderino said:

Maybe if it's mowed tall. The shorter the better for Bermuda and st Augustine will never have a chance
I started that 5 years ago and it did not help at all. St Augustine is just too aggressive.
woodiewood1
The best thing to do is water the yard once a week and enough of the roots will live and take over once it gets cooler and it rains.

woodiewood1
KidDoc said:

El_duderino said:

I started that 5 years ago and it did not help at all. St Augustine is just too aggressive.
Well maintained and healthy San Augustine in a sunny location will take over most anything. The only thing I think will compete with it in the long run is liriope. I fight liriope invading my flower beds and lawn. The three things I will never plant again is liriope, invasive bamboo, and privet or Ligustrum. I fight all three all spring, summer and fall. I bet I pull out 1,000 Ligustrum seedlings a year from every one of my flower beds and flower pots.
scd88
AG
I'm putting Bermuda in my back yard. It gets a good deal of sun.
war hymn aggie
AG
Mike Brady had it figured out long ago.
Follow his lead:
ukbb2003
Turf FTW
El_duderino
What height do you cut your grass at?
gettingitdone
my son is the Sr. Superintendent at The Four Seasons Golf Resort in Dallas and says the tiftuf is the best you can get. Says it was put at the new Aggie park on campus and the same company that just put down 8 acres of it at their driving range.
Tailgate88
AG
gettingitdone said:

my son is the Sr. Superintendent at The Four Seasons Golf Resort in Dallas and says the tiftuf is the best you can get. Says it was put at the new Aggie park on campus and the same company that just put down 8 acres of it at their driving range.
Where does one get Tiftuf? How much is it? I've got quite a bit of St. Aug that isn't coming back.
dstarr6442
AG
While this is being discussed, what is typically the best grass around here for under trees and in the shade? Got a bunch of St. Augustine under trees that got gradually overwhelmed by sprawling horseweed where I couldn't use a flatleaf herbicide.
EliteElectric
Tailgate88 said:

gettingitdone said:

Where does one get Tiftuf? How much is it? I've got quite a bit of St. Aug that isn't coming back.
https://krturfgrass.com/product/tiftuf-bermuda/
KidDoc
AG
El_duderino said:

What height do you cut your grass at?
1.5"
histag10
AG
We let (were forced) our grass die this year, and plan to till and seed it.

I'm thinking about Princess 77 Bermuda. Has anyone tried that around here? My brother has it in the Midland area, and it does really well there, but no idea if it us suitable here. I just want something soft and pretty lol
TxAgg07
AG
I live in Round Rock and have Emerald Zoysia. We absolutely love our grass. It's probably the best investment we've made in our home and people constantly compliment us on it. We can't recommend it enough.
thenational
AG
I have emerald zoysia as well, in Houston. It is doing amazing, people love walking barefoot in it. Tons of compliments.
texAZtea
AG
Mowing heights have been mentioned on this thread. The A&M turf science crew put out this publication:

https://aggieturf.tamu.edu/wp-content/uploads/ESC052-1.pdf

ETA as I mentioned on another thread: I mow lawns (or acreage) on the side, I have a degree in plant and soil science, and I am looking for a couple clients.
Tailgate88
AG
If one were to put in Emerald Zoysia, in College Station, when would be the ideal time to .... I assume sod? I think I'll try it in our backyard as an experiment to replace all my dead St. Aug and if it works well here, maybe put some in the front yard next year.
fastsloth
Ideal time to sod Emerald is probably early April. If you're feeling lucky, you could sod it when (or if) rain returns, as it has great cold tolerance. Should survive our normal winter, even as newly planted sod, with ease. Solid sodding is most definitely the way to go since the main knock on Emerald is slow lateral growth.
Some of the more recent zoysiagrass releases exhibit faster growth and I've always preferred coarser textured zoysias for lawns. Emerald is very fine textured (thin-bladed), and looks its best mowed at 1/2" with a reel mower. I've been happy with El Toro zoysia for many years, but we'll see if it survives this drought.
Tailgate88
AG
Ok well my lawn guy doesn't have a reel mower. What would you recommend that is softer on the foot than St Aug but can be mowed by my every-other-week lawn crew with a John Deere zero turn?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.