Oleander?

2,207 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Hhilton82
CS78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone have any bushes they would like trimmed? I'm needing some to brush duck blinds. Toledo321 at a0l.c0m
AgTrip
Careful. That stuff is toxic
phillytex24
WOW!!! I'm shocked. Thank you! I had no clue. One single leaf can kill a child. Livestock are often poisoned when allowed to consume it. Why hasn't the government warned Americans?

"Oleander is so toxic, humans don't even have to ingest it to experience symptoms of poisoning just touching the plant and tree sap with bare hands or inhaling the smoke of burning oleander can induce toxic effects."
michellecan
I had 8 oleanders in my yard across my back fence and I had two dogs. My dogs never considered getting close to them. I had to mow and weedeat under and around them every week and I'm still here.
BCSWguru
also a one hit wonder
CT'97
AG
Knew two scouts who cut oleander branches to use for roasting hot dogs over a fire in a back yard on a patrol camp out. They went to the hospital when they couldn't be woken the next morning and were dead shortly after.

Short of ingesting it in any form you are safe. So on a duck blind, not an issue.

My question is, why Oleander? There are a long list of bushes that would come to mind for brushing in a duck blind before I would get to Oleander.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Planted some oleander many years ago. Had a dream my cows got in my yard, the cows ate it, and I went out to a yard full of dead cows. I pulled them all up when I woke up.
Ag_B_10
AG
We had two in our yard while growing up. We constantly played around them, hiding behind them, using the branches as switches, and such. My parents and grandmother always told us to wash our hands if we played around them. Never bothered us, but I was shocked when I got older to find out how toxic they really are.
Hhilton82
AG
If burned the smell EXACTLY like Bill Walton's hair after a Grateful Dead concert.
Seriously.
Beware though, toxic fumes
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.